Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough pubs of Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

For a few years before the current owners took over, The Friary had an interesting cliental and a nickname I'd get permabanned if I typed out; "B & K" if anyone can decipher that.

I've a memory burned into my head of a heavily pregnant woman balancing her pint on her bump outside there whilst lighting a cigarette.

Also mentioned a few times but the Mangans and the Catwalk were very territorial. Princes St and Marlboro St would see fights between the types who were going between the two places. A lot of that type of crowd has since migrated up to the Grafton/Eclipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Streets, in the Grand Parade Hotel. Reminded me of that nightclub in the film Intermission. Grab a granny and dog rough with it.

Grab a granny was The Hilton on Coburg Street, Martin McNeil was the head doorman, a Judo expert and psychiatrist nurse that went on to become a very successful businessman in the licensed trade.

I worked on the door of a few of the other "rough" pubs named here and a few others not mentioned, there was never any real trouble. One or two incidents gave one or two places a bad name but it wasn't like it was gang wars or The Bronx, everyone knew everyone else and when the few clatters were thrown and the trouble makers were sober there was no problems.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Grab a granny was The Hilton on Coburg Street, Martin McNeil was the head doorman, a Judo expert and psychiatrist nurse that went on to become a very successful businessman in the licensed trade.

I worked on the door of a few of the other "rough" pubs named here and a few others not mentioned, there was never any real trouble. One or two incidents gave one or two places a bad name but it wasn't like it was gang wars or The Bronx, everyone knew everyone else and when the few clatters were thrown and the trouble makers were sober there was no problems.

If you’re old enough to remember club 33 at the back of what’s now Reardans. If we couldn’t get into Cubins, it was in there to pull a “granny”. Rough as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A fella lost his life outside sidetracks. It wasn't all fun and games.
    I saw bouncers in action plenty of times (while not being involved) and I saw plenty of behaviour that would have warranted prosecution. I also saw them having a good ole laugh afterwards.
    There were plenty of scumbags in suits who enjoyed the agro with the drunk scumbags but they were all scumbags in my eyes.

A fella lost his life outside sidetracks. It wasn't all fun and games.
    I saw bouncers in action plenty of times (while not being involved) and I saw plenty of behaviour that would have warranted prosecution. I also saw them having a good ole laugh afterwards.
    There were plenty of scumbags in suits who enjoyed the agro with the drunk scumbags but they were all scumbags in my eyes.

I never said it was all fun and games and you can judge all you want and tar everyone with the same brush if you want.

I knew Adrian that died in the incident in Sidetracks and I know a couple of the lads that were involved, none of them were scumbags.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I never said it was all fun and games and you can judge all you want and tar everyone with the same brush if you want.

I knew Adrian that died in the incident in Sidetracks and I know a couple of the lads that were involved, none of them were scumbags.

20 years ago in March, I remember when it happened.

20 years ago in March, I remember when it happened.

Yeah, big swinging mickey.

Just because you can remember when it happened doesn't mean everyone or anyone involved was a scumbag.

Yeah, big swinging mickey.

Just because you can remember when it happened doesn't mean everyone or anyone involved was a scumbag.

I never implied anyone was a scum bag, you must be mixing me up with another poster or are too hard on the sauce for the night that’s in it

I never implied anyone was a scum bag, you must be mixing me up with another poster or are too hard on the sauce for the night that’s in it

My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tobeme2020

The ferry arms. What's your thoughts on this pub in Cork. Was outside it one night but then ended up in a taxi somewhere else and never got to see inside. Its in a housing estate somewhere on the outskirts of the city if I remember right

• Advertisement

tobeme2020 wrote: »
    The ferry arms. What's your thoughts on this pub in Cork. Was outside it one night but then ended up in a taxi somewhere else and never got to see inside. Its in a housing estate somewhere on the outskirts of the city if I remember right

It was a Celtic supporters club venue in Passage West, often went to a few Celtic Rangers matches with a few of the lads from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Catwalk and Mangans were rough ?!?!? Full of 17-21 year olds, hardly the criminal underworld.

It was a Celtic supporters club venue in Passage West, often went to a few Celtic Rangers matches with a few of the lads from there.

Is it a rough pub? Did it sell food too. I think I was looking food that night lol

Cona wrote: »
    Catwalk and Mangans were rough ?!?!? Full of 17-21 year olds, hardly the criminal underworld.

The worse thing that happened in the Catwalk was when the streets outside were flooded and the clientele thought they were committing an offence because they were trapped inside an hour after closing time.

Was? Is it closed down

O’Keeffe’s on Leitrim Street was ok I think bar being a Chelsea supporters pub.

Mangans was rough alright, Chandras was grand imo, De Lacey house was usually fine, I saw a few fights outside the Cruicin but nothing major. I can't think of anywhere that was very rough tbh.

Mangans was rough alright, Chandras was grand imo, De Lacey house was usually fine, I saw a few fights outside the Cruicin but nothing major. I can't think of anywhere that was very rough tbh.

Mangans was far from rough.... Full of kids, over 19s stopped going there last few years it was open.

Place up the street from it, The Pav had it's rough period back in the early to mid 00s alright but still wasn't too bad.

There was a bit of everything in sidetrax but there was rarely any trouble in there.

Actually, you did suggest that it was all a bit of banter and craic and not really serious - that's what prompted me to post. For me violence is always serious.
    I didn't tar anyone with any brush. I mentioned my observations of violent behavior and called out the perpetrators as scumbags.

If I see 4 or 5 lads dragging a person down an alleyway for a hiding while another 2 block the alley, I have no hesitation in calling them scumbags. And yes, the suited scumbags had a great ole laugh about it afterwards.
    That's just one incident that I witnessed over the years.
    I have no doubt that there were some decent security staff around back then but I saw a lot of bad behaviour - criminal behaviour.

Actually, you did suggest that it was all a bit of banter and craic and not really serious - that's what prompted me to post. For me violence is always serious.
    I didn't tar anyone with any brush. I mentioned my observations of violent behavior and called out the perpetrators as scumbags.

If I see 4 or 5 lads dragging a person down an alleyway for a hiding while another 2 block the alley, I have no hesitation in calling them scumbags. And yes, the suited scumbags had a great ole laugh about it afterwards.
    That's just one incident that I witnessed over the years.
    I have no doubt that there were some decent security staff around back then but I saw a lot of bad behaviour - criminal behaviour.

No lad, I didn't actually. I never mentioned banter or craic.

And yes, you did tar everyone with the same brush.

You said and I quote "There were plenty of scumbags in suits who enjoyed the agro with the drunk scumbags but they were all scumbags in my eyes".

• Advertisement

No lad, I didn't actually. I never mentioned banter or craic.

And yes, you did tar everyone with the same brush.

You said and I quote "There were plenty of scumbags in suits who enjoyed the agro with the drunk scumbags but they were all scumbags in my eyes".

Firstly, don't refer to me as, lad, please.

You said "everyone knew everyone else and when the few clatters were thrown and the trouble makers were sober there was no problems".
    This gave the impression, to me, that violence wasn't serious to you.

Now, I stand by what you quoted me as saying and I stand by my claim that I am not tarring everyone with the same brush.
    I am calling security staff that enjoy agro scumbags. All of the security staff that enjoy agro.
    When I said all of them were scumbags, it was obvious from the context that all referred to the drunk patrons and the overzealous security who enjoyed fighting.
    I did not call all security staff scunbags - just the scumbag ones - and I saw plenty of them in action.

Understand, now, little boy?
    (do you like that form of address?)

Firstly, don't refer to me as, lad, please.

You said "everyone knew everyone else and when the few clatters were thrown and the trouble makers were sober there was no problems".
    This gave the impression, to me, that violence wasn't serious to you.

Now, I stand by what you quoted me as saying and I stand by my claim that I am not tarring everyone with the same brush.
    I am calling security staff that enjoy agro scumbags. All of the security staff that enjoy agro. (all of them were scumbags - both the drunk scumbags and the suited ones)
    I did not call all security staff scunbags - just the scumbag ones - and I saw plenty of them in action.

Understand, now, little boy?
    (do you like that form of address?)

Stand by what you want lad.

Call people scumbags all you want, just don't be surprised when you get called out on it lad.

Stand by what you want lad.

Call people scumbags all you want, just don't be surprised when you get called out on it lad.

I will, thanks, lady.

I will, thanks, lady.

That's a good lad.

Whatever pub the two above drink in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I rode a bird in the Jacks in the Wash one night, how phucking rough is that?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I rode a bird in the Jacks in the Wash one night, how phucking rough is that?

Who hasn’t?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Dav010 wrote: »
    Who hasn’t?

Her name was Alison.

Are you sure that's not your sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

For rough pubs I'd be saying look towards a few in Passage West out of the city or Blackpool in the city. The pubs themselves are not exactly rough but some of the locals there you would not cross. E.g Quinlan's in Blackpool. A certain criminal call the beast used drink there frequently. Again on the face of it these places might not look traditionally rough but you wouldn't want to be act the loudmouth in their.

• Advertisement

The Fiddlers Green and The Bowlers Rest, both since demolished, one only in recent times.

Advertisement