Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough pubs of Cork

Options

Comments

Is the Quinryan on Barrack Street still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Is the Quinryan on Barrack Street still open?

When they filmed Angela's Ashes around Barrack Street that was the only place that they didn't need to touch to make it look old and desolate.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

For a few years before the current owners took over, The Friary had an interesting cliental and a nickname I'd get permabanned if I typed out; "B & K" if anyone can decipher that.

I've a memory burned into my head of a heavily pregnant woman balancing her pint on her bump outside there whilst lighting a cigarette.

I'd forgotten that place actually. Was as a film in the Gate with a friend one evening & we said we'd head for a drink to the Bierhaus afterwards. Crossing the North Gate bridge she thought there was a fancy dress party on in that pub! Had to enlighten her that no that was really the way the women there dressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The Bridewell in Bandon. Been closed a while now. That's what you call a rough pub to. One fella was killed in there (an accident). Serious amount of drugs and fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maybe I'm wrong (God knows, I often am) but is the Three Ones not Tom Barry's now?

Was that Nancy Spains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was that Nancy Spains?

No, Nancy's was across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Stand by what you want lad.

Call people scumbags all you want, just don't be surprised when you get called out on it lad.

In fairness like a fella died tragically, due to inappropriate behaviour by security staff.So there is no doubt that pubs and clubs etc, have had people working the doors, that shouldn't be working the doors, if you know what i mean.As the old saying goes, if the cap fits then wear it.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

In fairness like a fella died tragically, due to inappropriate behaviour by security staff.So there is no doubt that pubs and clubs etc, have had people working the doors, that shouldn't be working the doors, if you know what i mean.As the old saying goes, if the cap fits then wear it.;)

I'd like to be clear here. The only people I called scumbags are people I witnessed behaving in a scumbag fashion - and I witnessed this several times over the years.
    I did not witness what happened outside sidetrax and have not referred to these people as scumbags.

The gentleman that you are quoting doesn't seem to understand this. (in my experience, compression and reasoning, generally, wasn't a big thing amongst security staff of that era)

However, afaik, a lad was beaten to death and the security tape mysteriously disappeared. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

A fella lost his life outside sidetracks. It wasn't all fun and games.
    I saw bouncers in action plenty of times (while not being involved) and I saw plenty of behaviour that would have warranted prosecution. I also saw them having a good ole laugh afterwards.
    There were plenty of scumbags in suits who enjoyed the agro with the drunk scumbags but they were all scumbags in my eyes.

Would I be right in saying that he lost his life inside the doors of sidetrax?......

I'd like to be clear here. The only people I called scumbags are people I witnessed behaving in a scumbag fashion - and I witnessed this several times over the years.
    I did not witness what happened outside sidetrax and have not referred to these people as scumbags.

The gentleman that you are quoting doesn't seem to understand this. (in my experience, compression and reasoning, generally, wasn't a big thing amongst security staff of that era)

However, afaik, a lad was beaten to death and the security tape mysteriously disappeared. Make of that what you will.

The incident happened inside the premises and the CCTV recordings did not disappear but don't let the facts get in the way of your little rants there lad.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

The incident happened inside the premises and the CCTV recordings did not disappear but don't let the facts get in the way of your little rants there lad.

Like I said, I didn't witness it. Did you?

I sure you have as much proof that the tape didn't dissappear as I have that it did.

It's not really relevant to me whether the unfortunate person was beaten to death inside or outside. A person was beaten to death.

Are you defending those who did this?

I sure you have as much proof that the tape didn't dissappear as I have that it did.

It's not really relevant to me whether the unfortunate person was beaten to death inside or outside. A person was beaten to death.

You're talking out of your arse lad.

The tape was used as evidence in the investigation.

As I already said I knew Adrian, and he wasn't beaten to death either.

Run along now lad because you are trying to make yourself out to be someone who knows something while in reality you haven't a clue what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

The two of ye are starting to turn this into the roughest forum on boards.....take it outside folks please.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was that Nancy Spains?

It's currently Pigalle, and it was the Wolfhound before that.

It's currently Pigalle, and it was the Wolfhound before that.

And before that it was An Clannad for a long time.

I recall seeing the CCTV footage on the news. I saw him attack the bouncer and then they dragged him into the door. I remember that clear as day.

I recall seeing the CCTV footage on the news. I saw him attack the bouncer and then they dragged him into the door. I remember that clear as day.

It was on Prime Time too I think, the whole nation saw it but the beer revolu lad likes his little conspiracy theories and calling everyone scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wasn't there a shooting at one of the pubs opposite Nancy's , sometime in the 90s ?
    Family feud or something ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

And before that it was An Clannad for a long time.

Where the first gangland killing took place in 1995

Markcheese wrote: »
    Wasn't there a shooting at one of the pubs opposite Nancy's , sometime in the 90s ?
    Family feud or something ?

Mid 90’s outside the Clannad, a well known figure. Google will tell you the name, I ain’t mentioning it here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Rows Grower and the beer revolu knock it off

Tape wasn't missing and it was death by suffocation.... He wasn't beaten to death.

Mid 90’s outside the Clannad, a well known figure. Google will tell you the name, I ain’t mentioning it here

Michael Crinnion, Ireland's first gangland shooting... He worked for the Flynns. It's nothing not to mention here. Google will likely bring up his sons criminal endeavours.

Augeo wrote: »
    Michael Crinnion, Ireland's first gangland shooting... He worked for the Flynns. It's nothing not to mention here. Google will likely bring up his sons criminal endeavours.

I just didn’t want to be the one to say it. The Flynn’s were his in laws, alas Kieran in 2001.

I’ll say nothing about the sons, that’s for another chapter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

I remember his funeral made the news when some people at it spotted a camera man on the roof of the community centre opposite the church. They then ran across and threw him and the camera off it.

Acosta wrote: »
    I remember his funeral made the news when some people at it spotted a camera man on the roof of the community centre opposite the church. They then ran across and threw him and the camera off it.

One of the lads who did that is a real harmless lad, lovely chap. Funerals are no place for TV cameras & reporters

• Registered Users Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

One of the lads who did that is a real harmless lad, lovely chap. Funerals are no place for TV cameras & reporters

Harmless, lovely chap? The camera/sound guy suffered extensive injuries. Funerals are regularly covered if there is a public interest, like a gang land shooting. Those scumbags were in the news, locally and nationally at the time.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Harmless, lovely chap? ...

Yup, that's what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yup, that's what I said.

No, they really aren’t. I lived near there at the time and knew some of them, they were scumbags. Lovely chaps don’t chase innocent people off roofs and beat them up.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    No, they really aren’t. I lived near there at the time and knew some of them, they were scumbags. Lovely chaps don’t chase innocent people off roofs and beat them up.

I specifically said one of them. Don't be generalising my post kid.

Advertisement