Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough pubs of Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I would actually be on friendly terms with one of the deceased gentleman's son's. Not personally but on social media.

Deceased relatives still dealing off barrack St, and he was no ****ing gentleman, whole lot scuts, as us anyone backing them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Fair enough, I was just pointing out the obvious, which I don't think is a matter of opinion.

Obvious in your opinion perhaps. Opinions are personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Deceased relatives still dealing off barrack St, and he was no ****ing gentleman, whole lot scuts, as us anyone backing them up

I’m not on about the Crinnion’s. I don’t know any of them directly or otherwise. If you are alleging illegal activity on behalf of Mr Delaney’s relatives you had best contact the boys in blue with your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

What rough pub are we missing tonight, comrades?

It's not very rough really, but I'd love to get a bollocking for something innocuous in the Hi B.

I was never in Nana's on Douglas Street in most of its iterations, but it always looks like the patrons wouldn't be bothered with buying a drink.

I'd murder a pint in any of the pubs around it. Miss the Crúiscín as well for a bit of wreckless moshing, and Loafers to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What rough pub are we missing tonight, comrades?

It's not very rough really, but I'd love to get a bollocking for something innocuous in the Hi B.

I was never in Nana's on Douglas Street in most of its iterations, but it always looks like the patrons wouldn't be bothered with buying a drink.

I'd murder a pint in any of the pubs around it. Miss the Crúiscín as well for a bit of wreckless moshing, and Loafers to an extent.

I don’t think Nana's is rough, was in there a few times last year , it’s fine.

Paddy the farmers is a nicer pub.

• Advertisement

Anyone buying off dealers are as bad as the dealers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone remember The Billie Jean?
    It was on the corner of Castle Street and Cornmarket Street, where a jewelers is now, across from The Roundy.

I think that's the first pub I ever drank in (way before I should have) and my fuzzy memory of it is that it was dog rough. Mates claimed to have witnessed a stabbing/slashing there one night - this may have been exaggerated or made up but I do know we never went again after that.

Ha, the Catwalk. Bunch of 17-20 year olds getting drunk and dancing.

About as truly rough as quilted toilet paper

I think the grafton was pretty rough, I was in there one jazz weekend cause couldn’t get in anywhere else and there was a huge fight in the smoking area.

I used to go to the Grafton frequently enough 4 or 5 years ago..... There was a definite absence of folk looking for craft beer etc but I'd not consider it rough. The catwalk for the over 25s sort of place.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I used to go to the Grafton frequently enough 4 or 5 years ago..... There was a definite absence of folk looking for craft beer etc but I'd not consider it rough. The catwalk for the over 25s sort of place.

I don’t think craft beer was that popular 4/5 years ago, it’s huge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

fin12 wrote: »
    I think the grafton was pretty rough, I was in there one jazz weekend cause couldn’t get in anywhere else and there was a huge fight in the smoking area.

Not rough, just the weekend that was in it.

Thought it a bland atmosphere-less place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

fin12 wrote: »
    I don’t think craft beer was that popular 4/5 years ago, it’s huge now.

Being a yuppie is popular now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cona wrote: »

Yuppies were the 80s , maybe the 90s , you're dating yourself a bit ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Augeo wrote: »

Rough as fcuk was there a fair few times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Roughest bar in Cork is the linen weaver it's where people who are barred from other pubs go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Cona wrote: »

Not wanting to drink crap beer doesn't make a person a yuppie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

There are no rough pubs in Cork, working class pubs yes but not rough.
    Trouble is wherever you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

The Gill Tavern on Gilabbey Street used to be a tough spot. They used to have pool tables upstairs and you could see anything there. Saw a gang of lads opening doing cocaine on a pool table about 15 years ago.

Marty1983 wrote: »
    The Gill Tavern on Gilabbey Street used to be a tough spot. They used to have pool tables upstairs and you could see anything there. Saw a gang of lads opening doing cocaine on a pool table about 15 years ago.

Tbh pubs in Cork now are soft, real rough houses in town were, Hickeys, idle buachaill and the roundy house, Clifford's across the road was also up there, rough pubs disappeared in town in the end of the 70s,start of the 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Tbh pubs in Cork now are soft, real rough houses in town were, Hickeys, idle buachaill and the roundy house, Clifford's across the road was also up there, rough pubs disappeared in town in the end of the 70s,start of the 80s

Should that be The Idle Hour bar, down near the docks?

The Roundy wasn't really a rough bar, I remember having some great nights in there, Dan and Dave the brothers that owned it were two country lads and were great characters. John on the door was a sound bloke, he wasn't a big man but was very capable and you couldn't excite him. Anyone that caused trouble in there was never left back in, full stop. His brother used to help him out the odd time when it was busy.

Mickey night (the first Tuesday of every month) was the best night to be in there.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The Roundy wasn't really a rough bar, I remember having some great nights in there, Dan and Dave the brothers that owned it were two country lads and were great characters. John on the door was a sound bloke, he wasn't a big man but was very capable and you couldn't excite him. Anyone that caused trouble in there was never left back in, full stop. His brother used to help him out the odd time when it was busy.

Mickey night (the first Tuesday of every month) was the best night to be in there.

No idle buachaill Oliver plunkett St, Bodhran now

It was on occasions, Dave and Dan Wexford guys, late 70s

It was on occasions, Dave and Dan Wexford guys, late 70s

They owned the place well after the late 70's, there was another barman there as well that worked for them that I just recalled, a quiet tall lad with glasses named Frank.

I knew one fella that was so proud to be a regular in there that he used to boast he had his own corner in The Roundy House without ever intending to be funny.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

They owned the place well after the late 70's, there was another barman there as well that worked for them that I just recalled, a quiet tall lad with glasses named Frank.

I knew one fella that was so proud to be a regular in there that he used to boast he had his own corner in The Roundy House without ever intending to be funny.

I left Cork around 79 ish so after that I can't comment, came back and bounced 99 on for a few years, but tbh it's tame enough compared to the country, we ran door staff in Fermoy,,, more drama

I left Cork around 79 ish so after that I can't comment, came back and bounced 99 on for a few years, but tbh it's tame enough compared to the country, we ran door staff in Fermoy,,, more drama

That might explain why you think all the rough pubs disappeared at the end of the 70's start of the 80's.

That might explain why you think all the rough pubs disappeared at the end of the 70's start of the 80's.

Well I did bounce and run a small security firm for years which included pubs in the city and county until 2006/7, family member still at it so I've a fair oul handle on it, and a good friend still works ( pre covid in one of the largest clubs)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I used to go to the Shelbourne the odd time late 90s when it was called the Shiol Bhrian (or something close to that). Wouldnt exactly say it was rough but I do remember one night it was raided by the Guards and some aggro ensued with a bunch of crusty types. A very drunk girl kept grabbing the hat off a Sargent and he lost his cool with her. Her boyfriend who was a fairly big fella grabbed him by the throat I think pinned him against a wall.

The Flying Bottle, The Fiddlers, The Crystal, The Steeple, The Screaming Monkey and The Unicorn are a few pubs that you wouldn't have brought a lady to on a first date if you wanted to impress her.

Most of the rough pubs mentioned here were actually great places to have a session but because they were such good craic they sometimes attracted the type of people who were attention seeking brain dead types who wanted to make a name for themselves. Usually the owner, the barman or one of the regulars would deal with any hassle.

• Advertisement

The Flying Bottle, The Fiddlers, The Crystal, The Steeple, The Screaming Monkey and The Unicorn are a few pubs that you wouldn't have brought a lady to on a first date if you wanted to impress her.

Most of the rough pubs mentioned here were actually great places to have a session but because they were such good craic they sometimes attracted the type of people who were attention seeking brain dead types who wanted to make a name for themselves. Usually the owner, the barman or one of the regulars would deal with any hassle.

Steeple was interesting alright, and the one on Shandon St (with all the mirrors)
    Mick Allen had it for a while, till he titbeyto dealing the bastard,,,, went up to Derry with me in 79, led the bloody Sunday march, huge honour at the time, then he did this,greedy boy

Advertisement