Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14TB hard drive for £189

Options
  • 17-12-2020 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Amazon have a sale on these right now...

https://amzn.to/2IXZAe0

Down from £249

This is a great price. And these can be shucked for use in storage arrays etc.

I bought a pair and paid a little extra for delivery by dec 28th to hopefully avoid any brexit taxes. Hopefully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I use the 12TB version of this with the Xbox Series X and it's been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

Is it red/blue inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pauly26 wrote: »
    Is it red/blue inside?

Most often whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Does anyone know of any deal for hard drives that work with both Macbooks and TV's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Does anyone know of any deal for hard drives that work with both Macbooks and TV's?

It would need to be formatted in half or something which can be a pain in the arse...

Mac's usually need +HFS formatting and TVs are usually FAT32 / NTFS...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Fieldog wrote: »
    It would need to be formatted in half or something which can be a pain in the arse...

Mac's usually need +HFS formatting and TVs are usually FAT32 / NTFS...

Assuming you're talking about using an external drive with a macbook and TV to store media files etc., FAT32 would b a perfect filesystem as MacOs can read and write it. It's just not a suitable filesystem for use as a system drive for MacOs.

Macs can also read NTFS, but not (easily) write to drives so formatted.

So in that sense, any external drive will work, as long as you format it as FAT32 (it will usually be this when it arrives, or you can do it from within MacOs in any case).

It comes down to how much storage you need. The above linked 14TB is great value with the current offer. This is the 8TB version, also with a hefty discount. (just a little more than the non-discounted 4Tb version)

Those WD units also advertise Mac compatibility.

One issue you will have is faffing around plugging the drive into either the TV or Mac as needed.

If this is a concern, maybe look at some kind of network attached storage (NAS) where all devices can access the data on a shared basis over a network.

Or you could share the media from your Mac and have the TV access it over the network.

Lots of options;

This kind of thing, or this, which is a lot more flexible, or the value proposition.

Though that's probably all more expensive than you were thinking? And you still need to add hard drives to those units.

My drives arrived this morning. Amazingly quick turnaround and no brexit fees. yay.

The still have the 14TBs for sale at £189, and 8TBs are also discounted, but at £139. not as good value.

I need to run some stress tests on them before shucking to ensure that are not defective OOB before I void the warranty, so not sure what drives are in them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Got mine this morning too, thanks OP for the heads up, have an 8TB one of these and they're grand for backups, this one's even better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Thanks OP. I bought 2, next day delivery. Easy to shuck. Im my case the were white label WD140EDFZ. The needed the 3rd PIN hack to work on my Windows PC. Easy to do and so far, working perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭ozmo

Drive opens easily enough ,4 hidden clips open cleanly and middle slides out, no warranty sticker.

Inside there is 1 desktop HDD - 14TB MDL: WD140EDFZ DATE 3/Nov/2020
    Amazing amount of space in one drive.

Nice that inside, its just a standard SATA drive with removable USB 3 connector.

The USB 3 speeds are 29Mbytes/sec - which is ok - but on my PC a directly connected non ssd SATA drive does about 70Mbytes/sec - so less than half speed when using usb.

I also find USB not great with lots of small files (about 20Mbytes/sec. So, not sure yet how Ill use it - but I might just mount this in my pc as a drive or use it on an ESATA cable...

edit: I see darraghn just beat me with the details...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭ozmo

Windows estimated 20 hours to copy 600Gb of my camera photos :O Tried Teracopy also.

Removed from case and Installed this drive as ESATA - didn't need any tape hacks or anything - and now saying 1h 25mins ....

File copy over USB really sucks, even USB3

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »

The USB 3 speeds are 29Mbytes/sec - which is ok - but on my PC a directly connected non ssd SATA drive does about 70Mbytes/sec - so less than half speed when using usb.

I also find USB not great with lots of small files (about 20Mbytes/sec. So, not sure yet how Ill use it - but I might just mount this in my pc as a drive or use it on an ESATA cable...

Those speeds are crap, somethings up with your setup. Sequential write should be 140-180MB/s on USB or SATA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭branners69

Would this drive be recommended for a NAS. I have 3 x Red WD drives with space for one more. Am I better sticking with Reds?

Thanks.

branners69 wrote: »
    Would this drive be recommended for a NAS. I have 3 x Red WD drives with space for one more. Am I better sticking with Reds?

Thanks.

Half of the red models are now not reds at all (WD have pulled a few fast ones of late). These can be better than contemporary reds.

Whats in the externals is not specified so you need to check when you get it but they should be fine for NAS use.

branners69 wrote: »

Thanks.

Mine are currently preclearing for use in my unRAID NAS. As they’re not shingled (I believe), they should be fine for any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

are we now heading into paying customs on this if it arrives after Jan 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Yes, maybe try a free Prime trial, or set up another account and get a free trial to see if you can get it by 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It should normally arrive well within the next 9 days, but that also has gone through my head, as it now says it wouldn't arrive until Jan 11th.

Nobody currently knows if a deal will go through or not.

If its any good, anything I've ordered from Amazon.co.uk in the past week has arrived next day or within 2 days. It's been faster in this period than at any other time. All those extra couriers must really be helping the situation.

It is a risk though, particularly as no one knows what's happening with Brexit, for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

ED E wrote: »
    Those speeds are crap, somethings up with your setup. Sequential write should be 140-180MB/s on USB or SATA.

I was just going to say that circa 25MB/sec is average USB2 speeds....

I get ~ 25 MB/sec copying 1GB files over USB2 to a very old ( 8 Years ) Toshiba 2.5 inch SATA driv. So that would tie in...

I just finished stress testing and preclearing these drives on my unRAID server still in the case and connected via usb 3.0. average write speed was 148 MB/s across 72 hours.

The original 14TB offer has now sadly expired (how do I set the thread to expired?)

There is still up to 20% off other WD drives in the Amazon Boxing Day sale.

Advertisement