Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do on a narrow busy road

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Narrow road with an 80kph speed limit. Do you really need the law to tell you that driving a big, wide car on a narrow road at 80+kph is a bad idea? Does your car have a roll cage? We’re you wearing PPE like flame proof clothes? Surely you should take every single possible precaution to protect yourself when driving? If you don’t is that not “dickish “ behaviour on your part?

As stated 80km/h on that section of road is fanciful and you'd be driving dangerously to reach that speed but it is the stated limit on the road, it's another argument in itself. I am in a relatively solid steel cage with multiple airbags wearing a seatbelt. Further PPE by myself is not required.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As stated 80km/h on that section of road is fanciful and you'd be driving dangerously to reach that speed but it is the stated limit on the road, it's another argument in itself. I am in a relatively solid steel cage with multiple airbags wearing a seatbelt. Further PPE by myself is not required.
    What colour is your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

:) Of course you don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcNlhnpVtVI

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Always good to remember that we have two megathreads that deal with I guess at this stage every facet of
    helmets
    and
    hi-viz.

The things about pulling in being tiring is true, all the same.

I have to pull in for other *cyclists*, because I mostly ride on a cargo bike these days, and it is a little irksome and tiring, especially pulling in on a hill and then having to build up momentum again, but it can be quite tiring on a normal bike too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

This attitude (pretty shocking, but not surprising, from a newly qualified driver) is why there are so many RTA fatalities involving single vehicle or head on collisions. At a complete random guess, you probably fit in with the most common demographic of these deaths - young and male.

But of course, it's the cyclists who are the problem here. Dickish indeed. "Get outta my way, I'm a young man with no clue and in a big hurry!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

So you should take no attempts toward self protection or improving your visibility as a vulnerable road user , because the law doesn't explicitly state you have to on foot of punishment?

Like I said I'll be avoiding where possible. If one decides to take to main roads using such novelty modes of transport, I feel you should at least take all measures possible to ensure your own safety. The bike isn't going to harm my car in fairness. It's folly to not consider your own safety.

a bicycle is a novelty mode of transport?
    Seriously?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Seriously?

I think we need not indulge this man's ramblings any further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Seriously?

Up there with a horse and cart in fairness in this day and age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smellyoldboot, no more posting in this thread for you, ta.
    any questions, PM me, do not respond in thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement