Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Storey Extension in Laois

Options
  • 18-12-2020 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

We are thinking 2 Storey extension vs moving house?

where would you start to get prices/estimate to begin pros and con.

Would a builder be the best start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

If you want a straight-forward box built on to the back of your house, a builder is not a bad place to start particularly if you don't need planning permission. If you need planning, you need an architect.

However, builders prices can be a bit vague if you are a bit vague on your requirements.

Whatever you do, I would recommend you get several quotes even if the builder is local and you know him and you think he is sound etc. Get a few quotes.

I'd say step one might be to have a good hard think about what you want/need, even try to get that down clearly on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Peter2.0

Aurelian wrote: »
    If you want a straight-forward box built on to the back of your house, a builder is not a bad place to start particularly if you don't need planning permission. If you need planning, you need an architect.

However, builders prices can be a bit vague if you are a bit vague on your requirements.

Whatever you do, I would recommend you get several quotes even if the builder is local and you know him and you think he is sound etc. Get a few quotes.

I'd say step one might be to have a good hard think about what you want/need, even try to get that down clearly on paper.

Thanks for the Reply, issue I've in my head it's a timber frame house and I m not sure how that impacts things,

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

Peter2.0 wrote: »
    Thanks for the Reply, issue I've in my head it's a timber frame house and I m not sure how that impacts things,

I'd suggest talk to an engineer, a builder won't want to do anything he's unsure of without talking to an engineer anyway. I also think builders can over/under complicate things sometimes as they don't exactly know what is 100% the right way to go.

I learned the expensive way that I really needed an engineer not an architect.

Advertisement