Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman won's accept return of Ear Buds bought online...hygiene

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it Paddy or Karen?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't think Currys would be taking them back either: "Separately to the 21 day policy above, and in accordance with your rights when you purchase goods online or over the phone, unwanted items can be returned even if you have opened them for inspection as long as you let us know within 14 calendar days from the day after delivery. Once you have told us you want to return an item, you should do so without undue delay and not later than 14 days from the day on which you informed us of your decision to cancel the order. You can examine the goods as you would in a shop but to obtain a full refund you must not start using them, install them or input any data/software. The goods must be returned in ‘as new’ condition and in their original packaging."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

paddy19 wrote: »
    I doubt retailers are binning €150 ear buds. Amazon certainly doesn't bin returned ear buds. They put on Amazon marketplace and tell people upfront that the box is open or damaged.

This sort of underhand practice is going to kill the high street.

It doesn't matter what other retailers do though. They are on good ground legally to refuse your request. They would be chucked in the bin and couldn't be resold at least not in HN. If they are in some way faulty then you can bring them back.

I sympathise as I've never been able find buds that work for my ears but then I've never never dropped big money on a pair like this. You can take a case or do whatever route you want to go down but I dont think it will be successful unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I doubt retailers are binning €150 ear buds. Amazon certainly doesn't bin returned ear buds. They put on Amazon marketplace and tell people upfront that the box is open or damaged.

This sort of underhand practice is going to kill the high street.

If the bag containing the silicon tips is open, its binned. Its not safe for them to sell it, open boxed or not.

As for "kill the high street" - you bought online. You are trying to claim a right to return under the regs for distance selling. This has nothing to do with the high street!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Zhane wrote: »
    Would you buy a second hand toothbrush because someone felt the handle was uncomfortable after using it? Don’t worry the bristles have been sanitised...

A toothbrush costs a €1, a pair of jocks cost a tenner, ear buds cost €150.

There is second-hand market in expensive used ear rings where you obviously stick the piece in you ear. If you buy used you know the risks and you can mitigate them by cleaning and sanitising the product.

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything second-hand.

Amazon offer me second hand at about a 15% discount, I choose not to buy it because of the reduced warranty.

The issue is you know what you are buying upfront and you know the risks.

I was not told upfront by Harvey Norman that if the product did not work for me they would not have taken a return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

buyers remorse is one hell of a drug

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

There is second-hand market in expensive used ear rings where you obviously stick the piece in you ear. If you buy used you know the risks and you can mitigate them by cleaning and sanitising the product.

Amazon offer me second hand at about a 15% discount, I choose not to buy it because of the reduced warranty.

I was not told upfront by Harvey Norman that if the product did not work for me they would not have taken a return.

I was also not told upfront that I could not return the toilet paper I bought if it was too uncomfortable on my backside.
    Where do I sign onto the class action lawsuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That's a shame that they didn't read the terms and conditions to you. Too bad you can't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

A toothbrush costs a €1, a pair of jocks cost a tenner, ear buds cost

Not if they're Colgate, Ralph Lauren, and Lidl respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I was not told upfront by Harvey Norman that if the product did not work for me they would not have taken a return...

Its all on their website....

https://www.harveynorman.ie/customer-services/returns-policy.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Would you like to speak to the manager Paddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

L1011 wrote: »
    If the bag containing the silicon tips is open, its binned. Its not safe for them to sell it, open boxed or not.

As for "kill the high street" - you bought online. You are trying to claim a right to return under the regs for distance selling. This has nothing to do with the high street!

I actually bought the buds online and collected on the high store.
    So it actually does have something to do with the High street.
    I bought from Harvey Norman because they had a local store that I wanted to support rather than Amazon.

The central issue is that Harvey Norman were not upfront.

If they had told me that earbuds were a hygiene exception on the product page I would not have bought from them. Argos can do it so why are Harvey Norman unfair and sneaky burying it in the exception conditions.

I could speculative that they know they would loose business if they were upfront because they have this stupid condition that other retailers can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement