Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a DR650se

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

H_Lime wrote: »
    I could be wrong but ya sure on the fork oil? Thought damper rod dr 650 and 750 were all about 600ml per leg.

Did you see there was a DR big up on donedeal at the moment btw
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-dr800/27049976

Did some more work on the bike this week.
    Found the old tank and Dad spent some time trying to unseize the petrol cap.
    So Once that was off I used an Angle grinder (with sanding disc) to get the old manky black paint off, and repaint it to match the bike.
    Also filled in and sanded out the dents with car body filler.

Did 2 layers of undercoat and main colour.
    and then 3 layers of the Halfords petrol resistant Lacquer and left it for 48 hours to dry.

Just waiting on this Fork-oil to arrive so I can put the front end on, was meant to arrive yesterday but the Garage didn't get it in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

That colour really suits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Zebbedee wrote: »
    That colour really suits it.
    Needs a few decals / stickers / go fast stripes or am I showing my age?
    :-)
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Needs a few decals / stickers / go fast stripes or am I showing my age?
    :-)
    J

I don't know.
    I think the minimal look really suits this bike.
    Personally I'd leave it.
    Each to their own though 😉

• Advertisement

All boils down to what Goblin thinks as he is the one doing all the work :-)
    Looks great so far but I think needs a little splash of colour but its not my bike ( unfortunately )
    So we will have to wait until next weeks instalment and see what he comes out with :-)
    Carry on the good work
    J

haha cheers everyone,
    I'll be doing a few stickers on the bike, but going to keep it to Countries / Festivals visited on the bike, so hopefully get a few added during the summer.
    If I see a suitable Pig sticker for the tank I'll be sticking that on though.
    Basically doing a DR desert Sled, so if I could find a Dakar pig sticker that's going straight on.

goblin59 wrote: »
    haha cheers everyone,
    I'll be doing a few stickers on the bike, but going to keep it to Countries / Festivals visited on the bike, so hopefully get a few added during the summer.
    If I see a suitable Pig sticker for the tank I'll be sticking that on though.
    Basically doing a DR desert Sled, so if I could find a Dakar pig sticker that's going straight on.
    https://www.thedecalmaster.com/18-Devil-Rally-Pig-Decal-Sticker/

I did see this one online as well

fly screen arrived today.
    All its really doing is hiding the cables from view, but the bike is basically finished now. I'm missing the Right side plastic panel, but thats in the post on its way.

Speedo doesn't work either, but I use the Garmin most of the time anyway and the bike is going to be for trails

DR number 3 is now up on the stand, this one belonging to Dad, he'll be doing it up with all the procycle goodies that came in the post the other day.

• Advertisement

fly screen arrived today.
    All its really doing is hiding the cables from view, but the bike is basically finished now. I'm missing the Right side plastic panel, but thats in the post on its way.

Speedo doesn't work either, but I use the Garmin most of the time anyway and the bike is going to be for trails

DR number 3 is now up on the stand, this one belonging to Dad, he'll be doing it up with all the procycle goodies that came in the post the other day.

That looks fab you should be proud of yourself You have done a great job on it
    Well done :-)
    Now get out there and get some muck on it :-)

haha cheers! need these bloody restrictions to end so I can take it out to wicklow. Currently in Fermanagh still, so will use it for essential shopping up here haha

Took the DR out today for the first real ride.
    **** its loud compared to the BMW, you notice that its a Thumper straight away too.

Only issue to have come up was the aliexpress chain guard shook apart and fell off! got it back though as I wanted to make sure it wasn't from the chain being too loose, but between checking it and the chain tension, it was definitely being €10 on AliExpress that caused the issue xD

Speed bumps are alot of fun now too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Took the DR out today for the first real ride.
    **** its loud compared to the BMW, you notice that its a Thumper straight away too.

Only issue to have come up was the aliexpress chain guard shook apart and fell off! got it back though as I wanted to make sure it wasn't from the chain being too loose, but between checking it and the chain tension, it was definitely being €10 on AliExpress that caused the issue xD

Speed bumps are alot of fun now too

Cool, I'd recommend loctiting pretty much every bolt and I put a small dot of white paint from a tyre pen on the bolt edge and what it clamps to so you can see if it's lossening. Upper most engine mounts that hold the coils are famous for vibrating loose and when they do you will feel it:eek:

Ya fit the intimidators?

Cool, I'd recommend loctiting pretty much every bolt and I put a small dot of white paint from a tyre pen on the bolt edge and what it clamps to so you can see if it's lossening. Upper most engine mounts that hold the coils are famous for vibrating loose and when they do you will feel it:eek:

Ya fit the intimidators?

I'll do that once Dad's bike is down off the lift.
    Everything was torqued up to the clymer manual specs.

alot of the noise, is probably from the baseplate too, the BMW definitely got louder when i added one.

Yeah had no issues getting them fitted, I had the preload on too, so was pretty good on the road.

Dad put a pair into his forks today as well.
    Once we finish his bike we'll get a picture of all 3 together.
    He has a CCM 644cc R30 as well, but that's in Dublin at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I'll do that once Dad's bike is down off the lift.
    Everything was torqued up to the clymer manual specs.

alot of the noise, is probably from the baseplate too, the BMW definitely got louder when i added one.

Yeah had no issues getting them fitted, I had the preload on too, so was pretty good on the road.

Dad put a pair into his forks today as well.
    Once we finish his bike we'll get a picture of all 3 together.
    He has a CCM 644cc R30 as well, but that's in Dublin at the moment

Did you cut off the width of the intiminators from the spacer tubes to retain preload levels? What oil ya go with?
    What di are your forks? What are the seal specs?
    I may have a spare set of CNC alloy preload caps I had made. If theyre a fit they're yours for the price of postage.

Did you cut off the width of the intiminators from the spacer tubes to retain preload levels? What oil ya go with?
    What di are your forks? What are the seal specs?
    I may have a spare set of CNC alloy preload caps I had made. If theyre a fit they're yours for the price of postage.

Didn't consider cutting the spacer tube caps feck.
    It feels grand at the moment, I have preloads on the bike at the moment, ordered some a while ago for myself and Dad, cheers though! Do you have a CNC set up in the house? Would love to get one, but barely have the space for the 3D printer never mind CNC in the apartment, Dads garage isn't finished either, still just the foundations

I got 5w Motul Oil expert from one of the shops in Enniskillen, he deals in motocross and track bikes.

Theyre 41mm forks, I didn't touch the seals as they seemed fine at the moment.

got the DR back to Dublin on Wednesday
    **** me was that a miserable trip xD
    at 120kmh on the motorway, the oxford grips helped a little, but **** the lack of wind shield is noticeable. Definitly not a highway touring bike as it is now haha.

Maybe in the summer.

I need to replace the front Rotor, theres something just off with it, so the new pads arn't gripping evenly as they should, so going to do the EBC big disc upgrade and go from a 290mm disk to a 320mm disk.

I'm very tempted to see if the CCM R30 calipers swap over though, they have a 4 piston caliper on the front. Mad bastards

wait, bastards is ok, but **** isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Crap I'm in Fermanagh and was hoping to maybe see this bike in the flesh, I've had a DR350 in the past and hope to pick up a 650 in the future.

• Advertisement

TheFairy wrote: »
    Crap I'm in Fermanagh and was hoping to maybe see this bike in the flesh, I've had a DR350 in the past and hope to pick up a 650 in the future.

haha where abouts are you in Fermanagh?
    I'll be back up in a month or two depending on lock down restrictions, once the weather is better I'll be back to doing construction work around my parents house.

There is a DR650 on facebook at the moment, but I'd hold out for the SE

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mike3200

Anybody looking for parts, I have a 1990 dr650 , engine has been refurbished, I also have a spare barrel & piston.

Advertisement