Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info / opinions on turbo trainer apps

Options
  • 18-12-2020 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Seems like the kind of thing that would already exist, so apologies for that but can't find it...

There was another thread a few weeks ago about smart trainers, I asked a few questions on there and found it very helpful when I was considering buying one, and after buying one. Went for the kickr core.

I've had the trainer a few weeks now and was looking for opinions or suggestions on the trainer apps. Obviously I've looked online and read reviews, but find it good to get some opinions here.

I tried Zwift for a few days and found it good, I was just plodding around aimlessly but it was still pushing me a bit, speed up here etc, found myself making a reasonable effort... I think I might get fed up with the computer game feel of it before too long but we'll see.

Last few weeks I've been using Rouvy. I like the fact that I can cycle up the tourmalet and ventoux etc, but I've no real "push", there's nobody else on it (I can't cycle and see someone in the distance and not try close them down...), scenery is lovely, but totally silent and just going at my own pace... I think once the free trial is up I will not pay for it myself....

I've a few more free trials to get through, suffer fest, zwift again, trainer Road, fulgaz..

I guess I'd like some kind of structure or purpose to a workout, does anyone have any comments or suggestions on what they find good? Am I using Rouvy wrong?

Sorry if this already exists, in which case please shut this down.

Edit, I should add that I really like something immersive or that type of thing, I don't really want to look at a blank screen or watch a movie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Hi folks,

Seems like the kind of thing that would already exist, so apologies for that but can't find it...

There was another thread a few weeks ago about smart trainers, I asked a few questions on there and found it very helpful when I was considering buying one, and after buying one. Went for the kickr core.

I've had the trainer a few weeks now and was looking for opinions or suggestions on the trainer apps. Obviously I've looked online and read reviews, but find it good to get some opinions here.

I tried Zwift for a few days and found it good, I was just plodding around aimlessly but it was still pushing me a bit, speed up here etc, found myself making a reasonable effort... I think I might get fed up with the computer game feel of it before too long but we'll see.

Last few weeks I've been using Rouvy. I like the fact that I can cycle up the tourmalet and ventoux etc, but I've no real "push", there's nobody else on it (I can't cycle and see someone in the distance and not try close them down...), scenery is lovely, but totally silent and just going at my own pace... I think once the free trial is up I will not pay for it myself....

I've a few more free trials to get through, suffer fest, zwift again, trainer Road, fulgaz..

I guess I'd like some kind of structure or purpose to a workout, does anyone have any comments or suggestions on what they find good? Am I using Rouvy wrong?

Sorry if this already exists, in which case please shut this down.

Edit, I should add that I really like something immersive or that type of thing, I don't really want to look at a blank screen or watch a movie

I think you're going about it the right way, just keep going through the free trials till you find something you like.

I would ask though where are you sourcing the workouts from? It not obvious if you're working to some sort of plan or just randomly picking a workout form somewhere to do on a particular night?

Some of the training apps make a long term plan for you to follow, generally you'll tell it what sort of event you're working towards and it'll build you up towards that, those apps may or may not have a turbo trainer control system built in, if not generally you can load the workouts into something like Zwift or Rouvy or BigringVR and complete them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 E34

I've tried Fulgaz which is nice for the scenery and Zwift of course but have subscribed to TrainerRoad.

I like the format along with the onscreen instruction. The nicest bit is you can leave it running somewhat in the background as you watch something on the Netflix. It makes an hour on the turbo fly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

nilhg wrote: »

I would ask though where are you sourcing the workouts from? It not obvious if you're working to some sort of plan or just randomly picking a workout form somewhere to do on a particular night?

Yeah that's basically it. So for Rouvy I am just picking a route and trying to gauge how long it might take me and then going at that. So 50km flat maybe or more likely 20 or 30km up some steep hill..... But I'm not doing intervals, I'm not targeting vo2, it just feels very aimless.

I'll see what sort of training plan I can find, thanks

E34 wrote: »
    I've tried Fulgaz which is nice for the scenery and Zwift of course but have subscribed to TrainerRoad.

I like the format along with the onscreen instruction. The nicest bit is you can leave it running somewhat in the background as you watch something on the Netflix. It makes an hour on the turbo fly by.

I've tried this (I don't mean trainer Road) but it doesn't work for me, I can't just watch a movie or listen to music.... I need to have some kind of course in front of me and feel like I am sort of cycling somewhere, up a hill, a corner ahead, anything like that....

I tried a training programme (I mean a one off workout thing, not a longer term plan) on Rouvy and it was just a blank screen, tried it with music, Netflix etc but I couldn't stick it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm a fairly long term TrainerRoad user. It's very low spec requirements compared to some of the other options, pretty low level Android phone. It has very good plans, and the web based calendar and plan builder are excellent. If it's your thing, the analysis tools are decent too. A big thing for some (if not me) is outdoor workouts, which sync to Garmin computers and watches and Wahoo computers. I have done a few, but the terrain is too rolling here, so I'd end up on hill repeats. I also enjoy the podcast, although podcasts are something I've really struggled to get through since remote working!

I only subscribed to zwift at the start of lockdown. I swap out for races (Team Ireland tonight) and other events. I originally did it to swap for the weekend spin when we were under 2km and then kinda got sucked it. I've tried a few workouts, but like a lot on zwift, it's pretty frustrating trying to pick and I believe it's just "next up" if you're following a plan. Compared to TrainerRoad, where I can filter workouts by zones, intensity, duration etc. I also prefer the TrainerRoad workout interface. The majority of the time, I'm running a TrainerRoad workout on my phone controlling the turbo, and broadcasting to Zwift for the XP's and the slightly more realistic km's. I do enjoy the social spins, and keep going back to the Friday night race, so I guess I "enjoy" that too.

Up to Tempo/ low level Sweet Spot, I generally watch something on the TV. Sweet Spot - podcasts. Threshold and above - music.

I tried RGT the other weekend, and found it very realistic, but then it wouldn't let me turn around at the top of the stelvio. It wasn't good enough to make me consider subscribing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

I tried most. Used trainerroad a lot initially for same reasons as above. But got onto sufferfest last couple of months. Really like it as it seems to be a good mix of both. They're training plans are good and have a mix of bike, strength, yoga and mental (if you're into that).

I'd struggle on anything over 1hr on turbo. Sufferfest seems to take mind off the time. Good mix of video's including the GCN lads/lasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Just bought a Kickr Core myself In Oct and started out on Sufferfest also. I find it good. Pushes me way more than I would myself. Doing a training plan on it at the moment , 10 or 12 week duration I think. One thing it doesn't seem to have though is a way to pause the plan and take a week out. I've had a lazy week this week! I haven't tried any other apps but from reading a little bit about it it seems like Trainer Road would be the next one I would try if I decide to move from Sufferfest.

Just resurrecting this as hoping someone in the know will immediately recognise what I'm doing wrong.... I've tried Google but not finding it yet....

Started TrainerRoad.... Did the ramp test, it keeps telling me how painful this will be etc etc... So I found there was no resistance at any point beyond the very minimum, so as the ramps went up, I just had to keep increasing cadence to the point I was spinning out, I was up at 170 rpm etc... With almost no resistance.... Felt weird and wrong, heart rate was never particularly high, never broke into a sweat, never struggled for air etc, didn't find it difficult other than at a certain point I just couldn't keep the spinning going at that rate any longer.

I then tried a vo2 workout, but same thing, crazy high cadence but no actual work for the legs or cardio system.....

It's some kind of ERG setting?

I did a spin down on the kickr beforehand.

Rouvy and Zwift just worked, but I obviously need to adjust something here?

Thanks very much for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

Just resurrecting this as hoping someone in the know will immediately recognise what I'm doing wrong.... I've tried Google but not finding it yet....

Started TrainerRoad.... Did the ramp test, it keeps telling me how painful this will be etc etc... So I found there was no resistance at any point beyond the very minimum, so as the ramps went up, I just had to keep increasing cadence to the point I was spinning out, I was up at 170 rpm etc... With almost no resistance.... Felt weird and wrong, heart rate was never particularly high, never broke into a sweat, never struggled for air etc, didn't find it difficult other than at a certain point I just couldn't keep the spinning going at that rate any longer.

I then tried a vo2 workout, but same thing, crazy high cadence but no actual work for the legs or cardio system.....

It's some kind of ERG setting?

I did a spin down on the kickr beforehand.

Rouvy and Zwift just worked, but I obviously need to adjust something here?

Thanks very much for any help

It sounds like you were in resistance mode instead of erg mode. If you're using a laptop there's a toggle on the bottom left of the screen (during the workouts) that allows you to switch over and back. Not sure where it is in the mobile app.

There's also an option in settings to only collect cadence data from the power source (turbo or PM), rather than cadence and power.

If it's neither of those I'd contact their customer support, they're very quick in getting back to you.

Thanks.

I was in ERG mode alright as actually found that toggle switch you mentioned, I have a garmin cadence sensor on the crank arm, will disable it.

Found some stuff online saying that the resistance is fixed at a certain power output so faster you pedal, the less the resistance.... So maybe if I'd tried pedalling slowly it would eventually have increased the resistance.... Anyway, thanks, I've some things to try as would like to get this sorted and give TrainerRoad a proper crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Thanks.

I was in ERG mode alright as actually found that toggle switch you mentioned, I have a garmin cadence sensor on the crank arm, will disable it.

Found some stuff online saying that the resistance is fixed at a certain power output so faster you pedal, the less the resistance.... So maybe if I'd tried pedalling slowly it would eventually have increased the resistance.... Anyway, thanks, I've some things to try as would like to get this sorted and give TrainerRoad a proper crack.

What trainer were you on?. Better question is why were you doing 170rpm? Just stick to your preferred cadence and hold it for as long as possible while the watts increase.

What trainer were you on?. Better question is why were you doing 170rpm? Just stick to your preferred cadence and hold it for as long as possible while the watts increase.

Well that is essentially my question, why indeed. I was spinning the cranks but getting almost no resistance at all, each minute when the power requirement went up I had to pedal faster to get up to that power.... And after 28 mins or something stupid I was up at 178rpm and I gave up. It said my average watts was 115, but on Rouvy / zwift etc I'd be getting 250 watts and 300 Watts average over 2 hours, and up at like 800 Watts for a short burst here and there.... So I'm reasonably confident that something is wrong here.

Trainer is wahoo kickr core and, as mentioned, works fine on other training programmes I've tried.

Also with the vo2 internal thing, same story, spinning like a loon to get up to 195 Watts, so much spinning than when the rest part of the interval arrived it took about 10 seconds for the cranks to slow to a level that was at the power required (65 Watts I think).... It was like I was pedalling slowly while free wheeling down a hill...

Edit, I'm sure I'm doing something stupid alright and will try again with the normal cadence... But at a normal cadence I was not hitting the power it was asking for.... So had to keep speeding up.... But maybe I needed to just wait a while longer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

When I first started, it took me a while to realise that the turbo needs 10-15 secs to adjust up to the increased power. If you are training in ERG mode, work to the suggested RPM range and the trainer will catch up. If just doing a cycle round spin, this is where you work on hammering the power, as thdd we trained them reacts to the road gradient. I don’t use a Wahoo, but I assume all would work on similar lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

tried zwift for few feeks and was really just aimlessly wandering around the maps with no purpose. now into trainerroad not that long but it definitely has given me more focus and more purpose to my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

I tried a bunch over last two winters. My observations are that there's no one perfect trainer that will suit everyone.

Zwift is good if you want to race others, enjoy catching up and overtaking others etc. You probably will never win a race there.
    TrainerRoad has some great plans and will help you focus on specific details like pedal with just left / right etc etc.
    BigRingVR is sweet if you want to virtually ride various iconic climbs / routes around the world - you will be on your own and effort is serious - but your strava feed will look kick ass.

I personally wanted something that will run in ERG mode the background and let me focus on Netflix or whatever, but still will take me thru a strucutred workout. So after experimenting with open source software like GoldenCheetah etc, I am currently trying ERGVideo (free version), which allows you to build / import structured plan. Some 8 rides into it, all good so far, will report if that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

positron wrote: »
    I personally wanted something that will run in ERG mode the background and let me focus on Netflix or whatever, but still will take me thru a strucutred workout. So after experimenting with open source software like GoldenCheetah etc, I am currently trying ERGVideo (free version), which allows you to build / import structured plan. Some 8 rides into it, all good so far, will report if that changes.
    This is pretty much what I do with TrainerRoad. I was watching the cyclocross on the eurosport player this morning during a recovery ride.

I took a couple of weeks off following a plan over Christmas and the New Year (start again tomorrow). I ended up using the Pace Partners a good bit, as not tied to a start time like an event, but still a group ride. Cara Cadence for some endurance work, but it was like a hard club spin trying to stick with Barry Brevet. Probably a good compromise for those that aren't interested in following a plan, but want a variety of "workouts" to match real world group spins.

ratracer wrote: »
    When I first started, it took me a while to realise that the turbo needs 10-15 secs to adjust up to the increased power. If you are training in ERG mode, work to the suggested RPM range and the trainer will catch up. If just doing a cycle round spin, this is where you work on hammering the power, as thdd we trained them reacts to the road gradient. I don’t use a Wahoo, but I assume all would work on similar lines.

Thanks for that, gave it another go and tried the ramp again, sticking to a cadence of 90, and like you suggested, just waiting patiently.... First 10 mins or so I couldn't really tell any difference as the power ramped up but could eventually feel it and when I finished up my estimated FTP was 100 higher than earlier test with the crazy pedalling!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Anyone here have a wahoo kickr core. I recently upgraded from a tacx vortex. On the vortex I could sit at 270 watts with ease. On the kickr core at 220 my heart rate just keeps going up. I performed a spin down and its saying the temp is 30 degrees. Both windows open, fan blowing and heating off so I dont know where the 30 degrees is coming from.

What reading do you all get

Advertisement