Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon won't cancel item with est delivery 3 weeks away

Options
  • 18-12-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I purchased an item on Amazon.co.uk on 30th November and it had an expected delivery date of 14th December.

On Monday, the 14th, the expected delivery date changed to the 4th of January.

This is outside the 30 day delivery and it doesn't suit, it's after Christmas and with Brexit I could end up facing an extra customs/VAT charge so I've been trying to cancel the item since Monday.

I spoke to their customer service but they say they can't cancel it as it is preparing to dispatch and is too far along the delivery chain. They said my only option is to refuse delivery and have it returned.

Is it just me or is it not ridiculous to ship an item knowing it's going to be returned despite receiving 3 weeks cancellation notice?

I paid for the item using Revolut, payment has been authorised but not taken. Can I ensure my Revolut account is empty so no payment is taken and therefore no delivery or are there any consequences for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

When you say authorized but not taken, have they taken a pre-auth for the full amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I paid for the item using Revolut, payment has been authorised but not taken. Can I ensure my Revolut account is empty so no payment is taken and therefore no delivery or are there any consequences for this?

Once Revolut authorised the transaction (on your behalf) they will honour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The pre authorisation amount was taken but it was reverted. So I haven't paid Amazon anything yet and my Revolut account is empty having used the money to buy the same item elsewhere.

So Revolut will honour it despite me having an empty account?

Is there any point reporting an issue with the payment to Revolut in an attempt to cancel the authorisation?

Or is there any other way to get out of this purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Once Revolut authorised the transaction (on your behalf) they will honour it.

Why would they do that when the account could be empty when the time comes for payment? Isn't Revolut purely a transactional system i.e. each event involves the movement of money there and then, not later?

How can they leave a charge hanging over an account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

When they say expected delivery date of Jan 4th, it's entirely possible it will arrive before then.

• Advertisement

When they say expected delivery date of Jan 4th, it's entirely possible it will arrive before then.

Of course, anything is possible. But you could have easily have said that about the first expected delivery date, 14th December, which has come and gone.

Three weeks since ordering and despite contacting customer service there's still been no movement so it's entirely unlikely to arrive before the date given.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cancel this order?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Lots of companies have that policy ie if an order has been 'processed' that you must wait to return the item yourself, when did it change to the 4th January?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

If you aren't able to cancel it, you can refuse the delivery. If you're in Dublin (Amazon Logistics) you can cancel the delivery on the tracking page in the app or website.

If it's An Post, once you get the text change the delivery address to the Amazon returns address:

Amazon Returns
    Portlaoise Mail Centre
    R32 AP22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cancel this order?

did they not already tell you? refusing delivery , or returning unopened within 14 days will cancel the order.

what you cant do is cancel the order and still receive delivery of the goods. The item is in the supply chain, as you have been advised.

did they not already tell you? refusing delivery , or returning unopened within 14 days will cancel the order.

what you cant do is cancel the order and still receive delivery of the goods. The item is in the supply chain, as you have been advised.

In the supply chain for 3 weeks? That's ridiculous. I wanted ideas on how to cancel this without it being sent for delivery.

What if it gets held up at customs? Do I get a refund without paying possible release fees and additional VAT?

• Advertisement

you wont pay customs if you refuse delivery. only if you accept. not your problem.

you wont pay customs if you refuse delivery. only if you accept. not your problem.

That's grand then, haven't had items brought in from a non EU country before so don't know the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Pus - (as much as I hate Amazon these days) - if you did incur some extra charges and you are a regular customer then if possessed they will more than likely refund them anyway.

Jeff is a prick. The company sucks. They treat their staff like crap, but they get away with it because of excellent customer service.

yep, your okay.

the only downside i you wont get a refund today, you have to wait until the process is done.

FYI im kinda in the same boat. i bought a custom photo blanket/quilt but didnt notice the supplier was in china, from amazon.co.uk.
    The product has not yet arrived, and amazon shipping says its on the way but delayed.

i buy stuff from sites that do ship from hina sometimes and im kinda used to seeing how long the delivery chain can be. in this case amazon didnt meet the expected date, and i could refuse if its not here by Christmas eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Simple answer is to refuse delivery of the item. It will be returned to Amazon at no cost to you & they will refund the full amount. This will also avoid any dealing with customs fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

Any update on this? I have noticed in the past that Amazon take payment once the item ships.

Advertisement