Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics cards

Options
  • 18-12-2020 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

So have been thinking a good while about building a pc instead of getting a ps5 in the new year.

Found this build recommended
    https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/DMTfHz

However the graphics card can't be got . Are they like hen's teeth at the moment?

Or is it similar to the ps5 and bots buying them all up . Or what other cards would people get for a middle or the road build. I have a 60hz screen that will do 1080

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All the good GPUs are scalped to feck at the minute. Same as the consoles. Terrible time to try and build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

ED E wrote: »
    All the good GPUs are scalped to feck at the minute. Same as the consoles. Terrible time to try and build.

Will just have to wait so. Don't think I could look at the other bits sitting there without the GPU

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

If you had had bought a intel cpu without the f you could have used Intel's onboard video card if I was you I would install a cheap used video card for now then buy the new one on a few months try and stick with older nvidia cards as amd older drivers had problems

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nicks delight

CptMackey wrote: »
    So have been thinking a good while about building a pc instead of getting a ps5 in the new year.

Found this build recommended
    https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/DMTfHz

However the graphics card can't be got . Are they like hen's teeth at the moment?

Or is it similar to the ps5 and bots buying them all up . Or what other cards would people get for a middle or the road build. I have a 60hz screen that will do 1080

Personally, I would wait with building it. Speaking from experience here. I have a nice spec (Crosshair hero viii with R9 5950x and 125 gb ddr4) pc standing like a piece of useless lump of metal, ready to go, but cant find a worthy graphics card at the moment (a long moment) unless I pay Scalper prices. Could I do it again, then I would buy a ready made pc setup from the shop... If AMD and Nvidia could sort out their behinds, then there would be no issues or room for Scalpers or Crypto-miners. You might need a new screen if you buying the 3090 (does not like 1080 to much). Also, I think many people got buyers remorse as soon as they bought them as Nvidia announced there will be many more even better cards released soon of the same lineup. You will have more graphics cards to pick from when they also eventually hit the market. I will wait and see what spec will be on the new 3080 when it hits the shelves. Plus, if crypt-currencies take a dive then you will see the market flooded with secondhand cards...Interesting times we are living in. :) I cant find a 3060, 3070 or a 3080 anywhere for retail prices and not a single whiff of an AMD 6000 series anywhere. I will wait. The 2060-2080 cards are very good for middle of the road for the 60 hz and 1080 but possibly so are the 3070-3080. Maybe do a little research on that topic. The graphics card market is moving so quickly that by the time I press "submit" this is all outdated. In four years cards have gone from 1-2 gb to 24 gb, and CPU cores from 2-4 to 16. that is a massive jump in processing power for gaming, streaming, editing or rendering, maybe even more than you need. You can still game most games (but not all) with an average graphics card so no need for the best. My current 4 gb AMD 580 is still working, but struggle at higher settings so I run it with most settings on medium/low.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ban I ask what you are using the 5950X for as I believe it doesn't give any performance boost for gaming over the 5900?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

With 128gb of ram as well I'd say it's safe to assume it's a workstation build :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nicks delight

In terms of the Spec you added a link to, future proof with a higher spec on the power supply, otherwise you might have to buy a new one the next time you upgrade or add other cards, ram, motherboard or whatever is on your mind at the time.

My 18yr old built a gaming pc last August (To be fair, his 15yr old brother did the physical build while he watched) with some help from here on the parts. Graphics cards were not really a problem last August.
    Now my 15 yr old wants to build a new gaming pc as his handoff from his brother is not working after the connection to the DVD drive caught fire. As with the other posters, it's just impossible at the moment to get a graphics card. Anyone know when they will become available again? Is it worth getting all the parts now and holding off for a couple of months in the hope of getting a graphics card.
    Also, would it be best avoiding UK sellers or sellers with UK warehouses at the moment for parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

My 18yr old built a gaming pc last August (To be fair, his 15yr old brother did the physical build while he watched) with some help from here on the parts. Graphics cards were not really a problem last August.
    Now my 15 yr old wants to build a new gaming pc as his handoff from his brother is not working after the connection to the DVD drive caught fire. As with the other posters, it's just impossible at the moment to get a graphics card. Anyone know when they will become available again? Is it worth getting all the parts now and holding off for a couple of months in the hope of getting a graphics card.
    Also, would it be best avoiding UK sellers or sellers with UK warehouses at the moment for parts?

My advice would be to hold off until at least the summer on building anything new.
    The lack of supply and the price inflations right across the computer component sector right now is crazy.

Advertisement