Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio jointing sand

Options
  • 18-12-2020 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭

I was wondering can anyone recommend a good quality jointing sand that's used in between patio bricks or slabs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mutjack

I used to use a type of sand called sharp sand mixed with cement it does a really good job of grouting joints between slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I had a patio paved a couple of years ago and the landscaper used an epoxy -based grout which has been very effective, in that it all stayed intact and there has been zero weed growth.
    I have attached an overview of the use of the different types of products available, and a link to some info on epoxy resin based grouts. Woodies, B&Q etc will have a variety of them, plus advice.

https://www.kebur.co.uk/which-grout-do-i-choose-for-my-paving-project/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=epoxy+resin+mortar+for+paving+slabs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjB9snP9N7tAhXUURUIHZwTCJsQ1QIoAXoECBEQAg&biw=1280&bih=910

I used this stuff when doing my patio

https://tjomahony.ie/3920awg-1.html

It's called joint it.

Very easy to use. Spread onto patio slabs around the joints and simply brush in with a soft brush. A light spray with the hose and that's it. Couldn't believe how easy it was. It's down a few years now and still looking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

mutjack wrote: »
    I used to use a type of sand called sharp sand mixed with cement it does a really good job of grouting joints between slabs.

Be careful with this method. Depending on the type of paving, the cement can stain the slab . As others mention, jointex and rompox are very easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the comments folks. Just to let you know the patio bricks in the garden are quite small i.e half the size in the attached. I presume the size of the slabs or bricks is irrelevant for the sand to have a good effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments folks. Just to let you know the patio bricks in the garden are quite small i.e half the size in the attached. I presume the size of the slabs or bricks is irrelevant for the sand to have a good effect?

It all depends on the gap between. Below, say, 2-4mm its just jointing sand brushed in in dry conditions. Larger gaps , then Joint it, jointex or rompox type of product. For bricks or paviors you wouldn't use a 'slurry' type of grout. This is more for porcelain, limestone type of slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

TheTorment wrote: »
    I used this stuff when doing my patio

https://tjomahony.ie/3920awg-1.html

It's called joint it.

Very easy to use. Spread onto patio slabs around the joints and simply brush in with a soft brush. A light spray with the hose and that's it. Couldn't believe how easy it was. It's down a few years now and still looking great.

I believe you have to have at least av5mm gap for this to be effective

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I should warn you that sand will eventually allow weeds to sprout which will need a lot of work to keep clear. I can tell you this from experience ; Many years ago I paved the back yard for my parents and jointed it with sand. At first there was not much problem, but eventually my father died and subsequently my mother became ill and was unable to do gardening any more. I did not have enough time to keep on top of it and the house was rented out when she went into the care home. The garden and patio were completely neglected with the result that when it came time to sell the house every inch of those paving joints was full of weeds. The epoxy based type of product I mentioned above seem to be the way to prevent this problem.

Advertisement