Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is blue tack waterproof?

• 18-12-2020 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

hear me out :D

we recently got a new door fitted.

i small bought a new wireless bell because the one that was on the old door was broken.

now... the bell button is actually a bit too big to fit where the old one was. didn't think about that.

i kind of don't want to drill holes in either the new door frame or the brick wall next to it.

so i was wondering, what if i just stick it to the frame of the door? with double sided tape was my first thought of course, but we also have blue tack at home right now. can i use that to adhere the bell button securely enough to the frame? will that dissolve when rain hits it?

the less "destructive" a solution is, the better for me, but i also don't want the button to fall off every day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There's a reason that Bluetack isn't a replacement for glue. Use waterproof glue, if you wish; but TBH, aren't you always going to need a doorbell so why not fix it permanently by drilling holes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It will fall off immediately once someone presses it.

Put a hole in the wall stop Messing around with poor solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

If you don't want to drill holes then Sugru may be an option (https://sugru.com/what-is-sugru), it should certainly work for that purpose.

Somewhat like blue tack/plasticine in it's non-cured state, and like a hard rubber-like once cured (normally after about 24 hours). I'd call it semi-permanent in that it can be removed but would have to cut away once hardened. I've used it quite a bit and it's handy to have about the house anyway for repairs/fixes but it has a shelf life (6 months - 1 year, i think?) but this can be-prolonged if kept in the fridge/freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

There's a reason that Bluetack isn't a replacement for glue. Use waterproof glue, if you wish; but TBH, aren't you always going to need a doorbell so why not fix it permanently by drilling holes?

the reason is a) the bell button doesnt fit on the frame - its a horizontal one, and there is not enough horizontal space, only vertical. i didnt pay attention when i bought it.

and b) the bell doesnt sound very nice, its sounds a bit crackly at max volume.

so i will probably replace it when i find one that i like better.

the main issue i have is, when i make a hole either in the frame or the brick, if i replace it in future, chances are the new button wont be using the same measurements for its fixing points. so i will probably have at least 1 exposed hole (will use one of the existing of course) that will just look ugly and out of place.

same issue in our bathroom. i replaced the shower head rail etc. i could use the top whole with the new one, but the bottom fixing i had to make another hole a bit above the other one. so now there is a random hole in the bathroom wall below the shower head holder rail that looks stupid...

Advertisement