Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

From an article in today's London Times about Macron and Sanofi

Vaccines in the EU are distributed by the European Commission, which pre-ordered 300 million doses from Pfizer-Biontech, 300 million from the Anglo-Swedish company Astrazeneca, 80 million from Moderna, 200 million from Janssen of Belgium, 225 million from CureVac of Germany and 300 million from Sanofi-GSK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Skyfloater wrote: »

Vaccines in the EU are distributed by the European Commission, which pre-ordered 300 million doses from Pfizer-Biontech, 300 million from the Anglo-Swedish company Astrazeneca, 80 million from Moderna, 200 million from Janssen of Belgium, 225 million from CureVac of Germany and 300 million from Sanofi-GSK.

Nice portfolio I would say. Risk mitigation. Who knew (of course bar the eurosceptics) that Sanofi would be delayed...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Skyfloater wrote: »

Moderna order is now 160m as EU has exercised their option to order 80m more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

is_that_so wrote: »
    Moderna order is now 160m as EU has exercised their option to order 80m more.

Hope the EMA will approve today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

lbj666 wrote: »
    There's downplayed and theres overplayed

Yeah they (Germany) can never catch a break no matter what they do IMO. One of their companies did basic research that is responsible for the blasted thing in the first place. They can order extra doses of it beyond the EU agreement if they wish without being demonised.

Afair, there is no defined EU level structure for public health cooperation. Eurosceptics would have a conniption over a new treaty incorporating such a thing. Pooling of efforts as is occurring with ordering these vaccines is an emergency agreement between the member states. The amount of cooperation that has occurred has surprised me. Thought it would be more cutthroat (given what is at stake here).

I wonder how we would have fared getting the vacccines without this cooperation? Would have cost a hell of a lot more to get any vaccine at all, that much is certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McGiver wrote: »
    Hope the EMA will approve today.
    I think they will but Oxford is a different story. It could be a good while on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You better focus on why the Irish Gov is failing to quickly distribute what it got/gets/will get from Pfizer and Moderna instead of speculating about what it could have done if it received more.

The reality is - if Ireland received more as of now, it wouldn't be able to organise quick enough distribution. So wthat's the point getting more vaccines if you can't deliver them quickly and they just lay somewhere unused.

I tried making this point last week on here but was shouted down, the evidence is we cannot even effectively distribute the maximum weekly numbers of the pfizer vaccine that we are receiving. What the hell is gonna happen when we potentially double our numbers with Moderna being approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

VinLieger wrote: »
    I tried making this point last week on here but was shouted down, the evidence is we cannot even effectively distribute the maximum weekly numbers of the pfizer vaccine that we are receiving. What the hell is gonna happen when we potentially double our numbers with Moderna being approved?

Maybe the EU should say that you get no more until you are ready to inject it within a few days of it arriving. Better have it in someones arm in another country than sitting in a fridge in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What sort of timeline and numbers is expected on this? Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Brilliant news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Brilliant news

Now all we need is delivery and quantity timelines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

salmocab wrote: »
    What sort of timeline and numbers is expected on this? Great news.

European Commission to approve next, presume that will happen fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Amazing news!

Waiting for some posters to spin the approval into negativity in 3, 2, 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,783 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So IF we have moderna on the same scale and schedule as Pfizer, could we have all HCW vaccinated by the end of March?

European Commission to approve next, presume that will happen fairly quickly.

I’d assume that’s a legal sign off more than anything?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So IF we have moderna on the same scale and schedule as Pfizer, could we have all HCW vaccinated by the end of March?

All care home residents and all frontline HCW should be done by the end of February

All care home residents and all frontline HCW should be done by the end of February

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Brilliant

Hopefully we will get shipments here soon

How many vaccines can we expect to get in the first 80 million?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pfizer will cover all HCW and nursing homes by March

We get either 880000 or 1.6 million doses of Moderna, that will probably be rolled out to over 80s and then over 70s, I think they are groups 3 and 4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d assume that’s a legal sign off more than anything?

Yeah presume it's procedural, with all EU states to certify it.

Stheno wrote: »
    Pfizer will cover all HCW and nursing homes by March

We get either 880000 or 1.6 million doses of Moderna, that will probably be rolled out to over 80s and then over 70s, I think they are groups 3 and 4

Cool, is it to early for a whisky to celebrate?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No. Just this once, I'll approve you cracking open the whisky

Just the one, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

It's women's little Christmas so drink on!

And if you're not a woman, it's Moderna approval day so drink on!

Stheno wrote: »
    No. Just this once, I'll approve you cracking open the whisky

Just the one, mind!

One bottle, gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Germany - bad. EU - bad. Ireland - good. Same old. No substance. :pac:

Yeah so I will take that as you can't refute my points can you.

I am plenty critical of the Irish response to this but these criticisms are often hand waved away by saying Ireland couldn't have ordered extra vaccines because it would be against the EU agreement.

When I point out that Germany did this just that, the response is that those orders will come in after the EU order is fulfilled.

When I point out that why then did Germany received ten times the amount of doses than Italy.
    What happens then is no response.

I will ask again if the German deal was within the political agreement why did the Commissioner not state that instead of dodging the question, its in the commissions interests to do so and do so quickly.

This stuff matters we wouldn't be having Italy talking about the very costly step of making sure to have a national based vaccination capacity which would be costly if it didn't.

Good news about Moderna though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing how a bit of political pressure can light a fire under those bodies!

Have Astra/Zeneca submitted to the EMA yet?

One bottle, gotcha.

Wonder could you squeeze an extra glass out of that bottle

• Advertisement

Amazing how a bit of political pressure can light a fire under those bodies!

Have Astra/Zeneca submitted to the EMA yet?

EMA are waiting on more data apparently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement