Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Stheno wrote: »
    Pfizer will cover all HCW and nursing homes by March

We get either 880000 or 1.6 million doses of Moderna, that will probably be rolled out to over 80s and then over 70s, I think they are groups 3 and 4

Hopefully we will get working on vaccinating a high percentage of groups 3 & 4 asap

Be great to have nursing homes, HCW and good percentage of over 80s and 70s done

Would give the government more flexibility with restrictions on the rest of society

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

EMA are waiting on more data apparently

It would make you wonder are AstraZeneca slowing the process to get more doses to the Uk or they don’t have production at full tilt in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Any chance of Home Carers getting pushed up the list? was shocked that Home Carers weren't considered higher up in all of this. Kind of disgusting really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

nocoverart wrote: »
    Any chance of Home Carers getting pushed up the list? was shocked that Home Carers weren't considered higher up in all of this. Kind of disgusting really.

I think whilst there are certainly people who should be higher up the list the reality is that lots can make an argument whilst they should be higher. Lone parents for example. Everyone that goes up the list pushes someone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’d like to see a vaccine kept for a group until the group is finished.
    Example say Pfizer for nursing homes and HCW , now that Moderna is approved maybe start using that for the next group only until they are done .
    When Pfizer is finished with the first group move onto the next.
    At least until all the vulnerable groups are done.
    Will add consistency and timelines to rollout.
    Can only imagine Pfizer being given instead of Moderna if there are vials of the stuff floating around.
    And Probably better for tracing and monitoring afterwards or long term monitoring for reactions or issues that could arise from the vaccine.

The younger healthy groups it will be a free for all with regards to which vaccine is on offer at the time.

They probably have this already announced or what I dunno.

But great news we are moving, we won’t be fastest but we won’t be the worst either and I am happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Cool, is it to early for a whisky to celebrate?

Whiskey:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pfizer and Moderna will be the sharp end vaccines and A/Z the mass inoculation jab for under 50/60s I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Hopefully we will get working on vaccinating a high percentage of groups 3 & 4 asap

Be great to have nursing homes, HCW and good percentage of over 80s and 70s done

Would give the government more flexibility with restrictions on the rest of society
    Exactly. Things can only get better from here (can't get much worse...can they :pac:). With the most vulnerable in society vaccinated (notwithstanding those who can't take the vaccine due to health issues) it should be a case of a slow gradual reopening during the year. I think we can all accept that some restrictions will remain in place until the mass vaccination program is complete, but we should now be moving forwards all the time, instead of one step forward and two backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

salmocab wrote: »
    What sort of timeline and numbers is expected on this? Great news.
    The Moderna order is 30% of Pfizer at 80m and about 53% of 160m so weekly that might be about 13K or 21K, based on current deliveries. I had 12K-15k in my head for it. I'm going to say next Monday start! Remember it's 28 days between shots for this one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

is_that_so wrote: »
    The Moderna order is 30% of Pfizer at 80m and about 53% of 160m so weekly that might be about 13K or 21K, based on current deliveries. I'm going to say next Monday start!

The Leak has spoken. 10k extra people per week

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1346805480971239426?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,783 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Whiskey:)

Twas a glenmorangie, I stand by my spelling...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

10k per week is still really pathetic.

It's our quota and that makes 50K a week. This is how it'll probably be till March.

So that must be using 80m as a total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Surely if we do manage to vaccinate 50k a week (have my doubts) it will make a difference considering we are such a small country ?

Is the government going to source vaccines from the Oxford one?

Or is our government incapable of requesting the vaccines on our own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surely if we do manage to vaccinate 50k a week (have my doubts) it will make a difference considering we are such a small country ?

It'll make a difference of 50k a week! Hopefully. Get the hospitals, nursing homes and medically high risk groups done and we can start to think about level 2 as the standard - still all the masks indoors, washing, distancing but no lockdowns.

That said travel needs a complete reassessment for me - tests tests tests and a proper ROI/NI protocol for same.

Is the government going to source vaccines from the Oxford one?

Or is our government incapable of requesting the vaccines on our own?
    The EU have an agreement with them. Nobody in the EU will get any until it's approved, which could be weeks.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The EU have an agreement with them. Nobody in the EU will get any until it's approved, which could be weeks.

My question is why can't we just do our own thing. The EU vaccine programme is clearly not fast enough.

It doesn't seem like a lot but it will all add up

Martin said we will have 135,000 full vaccinated by end of February but that's with Pfeizer alone afaik

10,000 does per week additional now will add up

You should have 170,000 fully vaccinated by early March now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

600K by the end of March, this doesn't include Oxford so in February the numbers will be revised up again.

By end of April we could be looking at near 1 million done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The approval is good news but this just confirms that Oxford really is the important one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,783 ✭✭✭hynesie08

My question is why can't we just do our own thing. The EU vaccine programme is clearly not fast enough.

And when do you think we would receive those?

We could but we won't break ranks with the rest of Europe

Nobody is "fast enough" but that's a supply issue. The EU did the deals and we're taking their supply.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    And when do you think we would receive those?

I'm certain the UK will assist their nearest neighbour if we requested some of the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I'm certain the UK will assist their nearest neighbour if we requested some of the vaccines.

Moronic take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

No they wont.

600K by the end of March, this doesn't include Oxford so in February the numbers will be revised up again.

Donnelly, before Christmas, suggested 1m by March.

• Advertisement

That's still only one fifth of the population.

Completely unacceptable. The aim should be to have 80% of the population vaccinated by May or June.

Convert car parks into vaccine centres, employ retired nurses and anyone else etc. Everything thrown at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement