Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,783 ✭✭✭hynesie08

is_that_so wrote: »
    Donnelly, before Christmas, suggested 1m by March.

Was that before or after Oxford got delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

D.Q wrote: »
    Moronic take.

I don't share the poor view people have of Britons.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We could but we won't break ranks with the rest of Europe

Germany managed it. They organised a side deal with Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My question is why can't we just do our own thing. The EU vaccine programme is clearly not fast enough.

OK. If we're to approve the Oxford Astra Zenaca vaccine which dosage do you want.

The one with good data showing poor efficacy.
    The one with poor data showing good efficacy that the munfacturer says contains in the data.
    The one with poor data showing an uncertain level of efficacy that's definitely better tham poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

That's still only one fifth of the population.

Completely unacceptable. The aim should be to have 80% of the population vaccinated by May or June.

Convert car parks into vaccine centres, employ retired nurses and anyone else etc. Everything thrown at it.

They can't vaccinate people if they haven't doses to give them. Government projections are based on what they estimate the number of doses available.

I fail to see how people can't understand this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Germany managed it. They organised a side deal with Pfizer.

FFS read back , that deal is after the EU contract is fulfillled.

Completely unacceptable. The aim should be to have 80% of the population vaccinated by May or June.

Convert car parks into vaccine centres, employ retired nurses and anyone else etc. Everything thrown at it.

The only thing missing in this plan is the actual vaccines.......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would they actually have the dosages to do it. Does any EU country. It can't be just magicked up.

ShyMets wrote: »
    They can't vaccinate people if they haven't doses to give them. Government projections are based on what they estimate the number of doses available.

We received 40,000 doses back in the days after Xmas and we still haven't used all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I don't share the poor view people have of Britons.

You're saying that out government should just abandon European ties and follow the UK on a whim. And what, beg the UK for some of their vaccine? Abandon the orders we have already secured and completely disrupt geo political relations because you're a bit impatient.

That is a reactionary, short sighted, moronic take on the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Was that before or after Oxford got delayed?
    Before and as we can see it was clearly included in calculations.

ShyMets wrote: »

At this stage it's willful ignorance.

We received 40,000 doses back in the days after Xmas and we still haven't used all of them.
    Some of the initial 10K were used in hospitals last week. They will be using 20K+ of that 40K this week.

D.Q wrote: »
    You're saying that out government should just abandon European ties and follow the UK on a whim. And what, beg the UK for some of their vaccine? Abandon the orders we have already secured and completely disrupt geo political relations because you're a bit impatient.

That is a reactionary, short sighted, moronic take on the situation.

How do you mean reactionary? I'm not opposing social reform?

I just said we could procure vaccines from our nearest neighbour in our hour of need, in addition to the EU vaccines.

No time for geo political nonsense. Every country is out for themselves at the moment, haven't you got that memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I just said we could procure vaccines from our nearest neighbour in our hour of need, in addition to the EU vaccines.

No time for two political nonsense. Every country is out for themselves at the moment, haven't you got that memo?

UK kinda need them for themselves if you havent noticed.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Some of the initial 10K were used in hospitals last week. They will be using 20K+ of that 40K this week.

Absolutely ridiculous and comical if it wasnt so serious.

All of those doses should be used by now.

No time for two political nonsense. Every country is out for themselves at the moment, haven't you got that memo?
    Do the uk have a surplus of vaccines to sell? Have they vaccinated everyone and there's a few million left over?

At this stage it's willful ignorance.

It's people throwing their toys out of the pram because we can just click our fingers and instantly vaccinate everyone.

Criticising every step of this incredibly complex roll out from their armchairs.

It's weird they have so much time to be bitching and moaning on boards. I'd assume with their vast knowledge of public health, supply chains and logistics, that they would be snapped up by some of the biggest companies in the world. There's a clear treasure trove of whip smart enterprise management types in this thread alone.

I'm all for criticism and holding the gov to account on the roll out, but it's clear as day people are just having temper tantrums because they're sick of the lockdowns. We're all in the same boat, we all wish it could be instant, but it can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No time for geo political nonsense. Every country is out for themselves at the moment, haven't you got that memo?

:confused:.com :p

Absolutely ridiculous and comical if it wasnt so serious.

All of those doses should be used by now.
    Can't say your plan as articulated here fills me with hope!

• Advertisement

Do the uk have a surplus of vaccines to sell? Have they vaccinated everyone and there's a few million left over?

DiDnT u GeT d mEmO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Surely if we do manage to vaccinate 50k a week (have my doubts) it will make a difference considering we are such a small country ?

There was a recent article in the UK New Statesman outlining the relationship between the levels of vaccination and the impact on mortality. The % of the population in the different age groups would be broadly similar in Ireland.

538530.jpg
    https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/coronavirus/2020/12/how-covid-19-vaccines-could-rapidly-reduce-uk-s-death-rate

People getting angry about a stranger not wearing a mask in a shop, but are grand with the slowness of the vaccine programme.

I don't understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Apologies if this has been asked and answered but do any of the first 3 vaccine types stop transmission?

People getting angry about a stranger not wearing a mask in a shop, but are grand with the slowness of the vaccine programme.

I don't understand this.

First reasonable thing you've said....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Apogee wrote: »
    There was a recent article in the UK New Statesman outlining the relationship between the levels of vaccination and the impact on mortality. The % of the population in the different age groups would be broadly similar in Ireland.

538530.jpg
    https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/coronavirus/2020/12/how-covid-19-vaccines-could-rapidly-reduce-uk-s-death-rate

Thanks for that. Extremely interesting

I don't understand this.

One is willful ignorance the other is a regulator being careful.

I know which pisses me off more.

Do you want to answer my earlier question about which Astra Zenaca dosage regime you want to follow? You want it approved so surely you have an answer that makes sense.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked and answered but do any of the first 3 vaccine types stop transmission?

None of the first 3 vaccines have taken part in trials to show that they reduce or stop transmissions.

I would expect that all would reduce transmission but that none will provide a full stop of transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Surely if we do manage to vaccinate 50k a week (have my doubts) it will make a difference considering we are such a small country ?

Luke O Neill posted on twitter the other day that even if we can get all HCW and vulnerable done by end of Feb it reduces the lethality of Covid by 90%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

What good will any of that do if we are supply constrained?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement