Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sky King wrote: »
    Luke O Neill posted on twitter the other day that even if we can get all HCW and vulnerable done by end of Feb it reduces the lethality of Covid by 90%

Half of all deaths are in nursing homes. That gives an idea of the effect that a small reduction can have.

12% of all cases are health care workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked and answered but do any of the first 3 vaccine types stop transmission?

The are indicators and logic to suggest that it will have a good impact. There are signs within the Moderna and Astra Zeneca trials. But the trials focus on prevention of disease and that was the main aim, so the hard data will be limited until vacines get rolled out substantially. So no one really in an official capacity has made any commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I don't share the poor view people have of Britons.

And history would speak otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I don't share the poor view people have of Britons.

Britain don’t have enough themselves, why give some away or sell some?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shameless liberal

Hi guys,
    Just saw Leo make a statement that now Moderna's vaccine is approved, they will vaccinate 10,000 more people per week.

Does that not sound painfully slow?!?

SURELY this should quickly become a political issue. Soon it will be the case that rather than rolling us all in and out of lockdowns, they'll just need to lob the vaccines into us all asap instead?

Personally, if I had an apt for a vaccine at 3 or 4 in the morning I would be rocking down grateful af holding my arm out full of the joys.

• Advertisement

Supply is the limiting factor rather than facilities

Everyone's saying vaccinate 7 days a week 24 hours a day but we only have so many doses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Hi guys,
    Just saw Leo make a statement that now Moderna's vaccine is approved, they will vaccinate 10,000 more people per week.

SURELY this should quickly become a political issue. Soon it will be the case that rather than rolling us all in and out of lockdowns, they'll just need to lob the vaccines into us all asap instead?

Personally, if I had an apt for a vaccine at 3 or 4 in the morning I would be rocking down grateful af holding my arm out full of the joys.

John has 10,000 apples. How many people can he give an apple to?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

People getting angry about a stranger not wearing a mask in a shop, but are grand with the slowness of the vaccine programme.

I don't understand this.

Your posts are bad and you should feel bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Hi guys,

We're only getting supplied with enough for 10,000 a week from Moderna. Where would you like to get the rest from?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ceegee wrote: »

But but but, Germany makes cider and I heard they don't even like apples and what about the UK next door they have lots of apples?!
    (Oh and something about Israel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭hynesie08

ceegee wrote: »

What if he cut them in half? You'd be less hungry but not full...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Everyone's saying vaccinate 7 days a week 24 hours a day but we only have so many doses
    Precisely. The only thing we need to ask right now is if the HSE have plans to maximise the supply of doses they get in in a timely manner. So that doesn't mean using every single dose straight away if we're reserving them, for example.

What it does mean is the HSE should have very firm plans to cope with the increase in doses that should eventually come once Oxford gets the approval and get them out as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hi guys,

How would you make it a political issue?

"give us more vaccines or we'll stop borrowing billions off you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'd love to see this secret cave where all the extra vaccine doses are supposedly being hidden

I'd love to see this secret cave where all the extra vaccine doses are supposedly being hidden

Theres a Pfizer quality control lab in dublin that is storing 1,000 doses that will never be given out. I say we storm it and take them for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

hynesie08 wrote: »
    How would you make it a political issue?

"give us more vaccines or we'll stop borrowing billions off you?"

It will quickly become a political issue, when it becomes clear to the public that the oh so mighty European Union, is lagging far behind the US, Canada, UK and Israel on vaccination roll out, costing member nations thousands of lives and billions of Euro.

ixoy wrote: »
    Precisely. The only thing we need to ask right now is if the HSE have plans to maximise the supply of doses they get in in a timely manner. So that doesn't mean using every single dose straight away if we're reserving them, for example.

What it does mean is the HSE should have very firm plans to cope with the increase in doses that should eventually come once Oxford gets the approval and get them out as quickly as possible.

People are forgetting therisks if you dont stockpile the 2nd dose in advance of the 1st. Theres a 3 week gap in doses in Pfizers case, 1-2 missed or delayed deliveries or batchs failing QA could throw things out of kilter. So if XX,000 are getting jabbed this week you need to know with absolute confidence for that xx,000 the 2nd dose is ready to go in 3 weeks.

So in the case of nursing homes , if its 140,000 doses in 7 weeks. Thats 20k doses this week, say 10-20k ready for next week, 20k ready for 2nd dose in 3 weeks. Thats 50,000 ish doses in reserve... . So while rollout is slower vs supply there is a lot of buffering going on aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

lbj666 wrote: »
    People are forgetting therisks if you dont stockpile the 2nd dose in advance of the 1st. Theres a 3 week gap in doses in Pfizers case, 1-2 missed or delayed deliveries or batchs failing QA could throw things out of kilter. So if XX,000 are getting jabbed this week you need to know with absolute confidence for that xx,000 the 2nd dose is ready to go in 3 weeks.

So in the case of nursing homes , if its 140,000 doses in 7 weeks. Thats 20k doses this week, say 10-20k ready for next week, 20k ready for 2nd dose in 3 weeks. Thats 50,000 ish doses in reserve... . So while rollout is slower vs supply there is a lot of buffering going on aswell.

To be honest at this point I don't think anyone is forgetting anything. Some people ignore all facts and logic in order to complain so they can get a self-righteous rush from declaring that it's. just. not. good. enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

lbj666 wrote: »
    FFS read back , that deal is after the EU contract is fulfillled.

So?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

is_that_so wrote: »

Agree with this.

Communication is so so important atm

If they remain silent it just leaves a vaccum.

He needs to be putting himself about, needs to be visible and transparent about the roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

We received 40,000 doses back in the days after Xmas and we still haven't used all of them.

Not only Ireland might be slow, or carefully cautious about using the doses of vaccine they received.

It seems nearly all EU countries are in the same boat. Take France, for instance. Or the Netherlands, they didn't even start.
    Someone (not me, for a change) mentioned Italy a few times in some previous posts.
    We (Italy) received twice 480k doses, but only given about 280k out to people. There are talks and criticisms about the slowness of the roll out, and the fact that more 480k doses supplies will arrive weekly, and if continue to be slow, then a day will come when we don't have enough special freezers to store the vials.
    Our problem is the lack of trained staff, few vaccination centres, and we have run out of the special syringes for the correct dosage of the vaccine.
    It seems that France is facing similar problems added to the fact that French seem the most skeptical citizens in Europe about this vaccine.

Don't think your country is doing this thing bad, because others are doing it bad as well, or even worse. There might be some good reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

To be honest at this point I don't think anyone is forgetting anything. Some people ignore all facts and logic in order to complain so they can get a self-righteous rush from declaring that it's. just. not. good. enough.

This is simply unacceptable. Typical paddy come lately. They need to close all takeaways and have all their delivery drivers administering the vaccine. It is clear our government have made a mess of this already.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

D.Q wrote: »
    Agree with this.

Communication is so so important atm

If they remain silent it just leaves a vaccum.

He needs to be putting himself about, needs to be visible and transparent about the roll out.

And giving actual vaccinated numbers.

We have done 14,256 to date and expect 49,910 by the end of the week is better than we expect....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Mad that Donnelly actually sounded competent there. It's a good plan :D

So?

Last delivery from Pfizer to EU as its stands is September, Germany get their extra 30 million dose after, the order is as a contingency for any demand then or any issues that may arise between now and then. It does not address any of the current urgency doing a separate deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

is_that_so wrote: »

Im not a fan of him but exactly this kind of direct communication has been sorely missing and this definitely reassures me as i had many questions that are now mostly answered.

There is far too many voices from NPHET and the Government on radio and TV everyday of the week confusing issues. There should in my opinion be MAX 2 voices speaking regarding anything to do with Covid, the Taoiseach and Minister for Health, no more of Nphet members or other ministers confusing the matter on a daily basis.

I know all countries ultimately have their own interests but I think it would have a good idea to pick a small country like Ireland or somewhere similar in population/size and vaccinate everybody as quickly as possible.

It would be good to then monitor how that country gets on over the coming months. You’ll certainly get a clear idea if it’s successful.

Everybody slowly vaccinating their populations might not be the best approach.

Just a thought

I know all countries ultimately have their own interests but I think it would have a good idea to pick a small country like Ireland or somewhere similar in population/size and vaccinate everybody as quickly as possible.

It would be good to then monitor how that country gets on over the coming months. You’ll certainly get a clear idea if it’s successful.

Everybody slowly vaccinating their populations might not be the best approach.

Just a thought

Israel nominated themselves without telling anyone, they even have a control group by not vacinating the Palestines.

In fairness they are not bothering with risk groups and starting with the oldest and working their way down, the success of that will be something to watch out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

From The Journal:

– Around 50,000 people have received a first dose;

– 91% of care home residents have been vaccinated;

– 30,000 healthcare staff have been jabbed;

– Some 504 boxes of AstraZeneca, representing 50,400 doses, have been received;

– 45 GP practices have been given the vaccine to administer to their staff and the over-80s;

– From the start of the next week all practices will have received 100 doses;

– By 18 January more doses are expected to be received from AstraZeneca.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement