Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I heard a believable rumour that staff on maternity leave have come into work to get their vaccines. This is a legal can of worms I'm aware of that, but does anyone else think it a bit unfair that they are getting their vaccines as part of their staff groups? Surely they can wait for now while other people working in the hospital at the moment, who are being told to wait their turn, get theirs with a virus rampaging everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Good to hear we'll have a nice stash of AstraZeneca in the country to get going with as soon as it's approved!

Didn't think we were anywhere near 50,000 for the first dose yet though?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From The Journal:

– Around 50,000 people have received a first dose;

– 91% of care home residents have been vaccinated;

– 30,000 healthcare staff have been jabbed;

– Some 504 boxes of AstraZeneca, representing 50,400 doses, have been received;

– 45 GP practices have been given the vaccine to administer to their staff and the over-80s;

– From the start of the next week all practices will have received 100 doses;

– By 18 January more doses are expected to be received from AstraZeneca.
    There's no point talking about AstraZeneca as it's not approved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

From The Journal:

– 45 GP practices have been given the vaccine to administer to their staff and the over-80s;

Is that in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

From The Journal:

That's for Northern Ireland, not the Republic.

• Advertisement

I heard a believable rumour that staff on maternity leave have come into work to get their vaccines. This is a legal can of worms I'm aware of that, but does anyone else think it a bit unfair that they are getting their vaccines as part of their staff groups? Surely they can wait for now while other people working in the hospital at the moment, who are being told to wait their turn, get theirs with a virus rampaging everywhere?
    I doubt there are a huge number even if it's true. There'll be enough to do the sector by the end of February anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Apogee wrote: »
    That's for Northern Ireland, not the Republic.

Makes sense now!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

lbj666 wrote: »
    Israel nominated themselves without telling anyone, they even have a control group by not vacinating the Palestines.

In fairness they are not bothering with risk groups and starting with the oldest and working their way down, the success of that will be something to watch out for.

That's very decent of the Palestinians to volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

There's plenty for health care workers and i cant imagine people coming in on leave would cause any significant lag for those not. Imagine very few are complaining be it to the currently working or those that had to come in especially. Its a very practical thing to do and avoids a logistically mess of getting them sorted out whenever they return to work.

There's plenty for health care workers and i cant imagine people coming in on leave would cause any significant lag for those not. Imagine very few are complaining be it to the currently working or those that had to come in especially. Its a very practical thing to do and avoids a logistical mess of getting them sorted out whenever they return to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Homeopathic Society of Ireland have requested that their dose be prioritised to the same group as the other HCWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

josip wrote: »
    The Homeopathic Society of Ireland have requested that their dose be prioritised to the same group as the other HCWs.

Give them one vial. They should be able to make it last for their entire society.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Of course they should get the vaccine; someone on maternity leave could be heading back to work in the next few weeks- why wouldn’t they be offered/ receive the vaccine to protect themselves?
    ETA: I can see how frontline hcw’s in other hospitals/ regions who have not yet received/ started their vaccinations would be upset by it though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    And giving actual vaccinated numbers.

We have done 14,256 to date and expect 49,910 by the end of the week is better than we expect....

Where did you see those figures?

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Give them one vial. They should be able to make it last for their entire society.

Based on the homeopathic dilution method, 1 vial should be sufficient to vaccinate every one on the planet for the next 1,000 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

lbj666 wrote: »
    People are forgetting therisks if you dont stockpile the 2nd dose in advance of the 1st. Theres a 3 week gap in doses in Pfizers case, 1-2 missed or delayed deliveries or batchs failing QA could throw things out of kilter. So if XX,000 are getting jabbed this week you need to know with absolute confidence for that xx,000 the 2nd dose is ready to go in 3 weeks.

So in the case of nursing homes , if its 140,000 doses in 7 weeks. Thats 20k doses this week, say 10-20k ready for next week, 20k ready for 2nd dose in 3 weeks. Thats 50,000 ish doses in reserve... . So while rollout is slower vs supply there is a lot of buffering going on aswell.

Shouldn't there be a buffer in terms of time though which reduces that risk, e.g you aim to deliver the second Pfizer jab 3 weeks after the first which is 21 days but if there is a delay due to quality assurance or similar you still have 20 days to deliver the second dose as it was trialled upto 42 days right?

Even without doing what the UK is as long as you don't think there is going to be more than a 42 day interruption of your current supply rate you need to hold less back or am I missing something?

Basically you don't need to know with absolute confidence that XX are getting second dose in 3 weeks, you need to be confident that it can be delivered in 42 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere (was it Prime Time?) that we were not holding back doses for the 2nd shot, but that appears to have been contradicted today by the Minister "in the initial weeks we will be holding onto some stock". I don't know why we are holding anything back - short of the Pfizer plant shutting for a month it's unlikely there will be a supply interruption of significant scale.

I hope we get an update on Tiktok or Snapchat or wherever, because the details of our vaccination program still appear to be a state secret.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere (was it Prime Time?) that we were not holding back doses for the 2nd shot, but that appears to have been contradicted today by the Minister "in the initial weeks we will be holding onto some stock". I don't know why we are holding anything back - short of the Pfizer plant shutting for a month it's unlikely there will be a supply interruption of significant scale.

I hope we get an update on Tiktok or Snapchat or wherever, because the details of our vaccination program still appear to be a state secret.

Have a look at his Twitter video, a couple of pages back. It sounds like we are using all of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Prof Butler said we would be holding back some to act as a reserve stock, in case of disruption to supply lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

It was on Prime Time last night. Prof Butler said we were initially holding back doses for people to be sure of their second shot in the event of supply chain issues, but now that supply is more secure they will continue to hold back a small buffer but will mostly be administering shots as they arrive. Words to that effect anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Russman wrote: »
    It was on Prime Time last night. Prof Butler said we were initially holding back doses for people to be sure of their second shot in the event of supply chain issues, but now that supply is more secure they will continue to hold back a small buffer but will mostly be administering shots as they arrive. Words to that effect anyway.

Likewise Prof MacCraith said last week it would only be in the first few weeks until supply chains were secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Russman wrote: »
    OK, I misheard, thanks.

Shouldn't there be a buffer in terms of time though which reduces that risk, e.g you aim to deliver the second Pfizer jab 3 weeks after the first which is 21 days but if there is a delay due to quality assurance or similar you still have 20 days to deliver the second dose as it was trialled upto 42 days right?

Even without doing what the UK is as long as you don't think there is going to be more than a 42 day interruption of your current supply rate you need to hold less back or am I missing something?

Basically you don't need to know with absolute confidence that XX are getting second dose in 3 weeks, you need to be confident that it can be delivered in 42 days.

Of course, excuse my example it was a bit too on a napkin, 50,000 in reserve was probably stretching it. But i was just making a point on peoples perceived slowness in administering whats been delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hopefully we’ll have 5 vaccines come March if this is true!
    https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1346871497437097991?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This was just up on my FB as an ad, not sure how I got it targeted. Interesting that they are recruiting and have certain requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Older people in the community not being done until March

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

We must be the only country in the world where in a situation this dour takeaway pints are a main headline. Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1346868201951555588?s=21

Janssen on track for EUA in the US by the end of January. Should mean that we get it in February. Maybe we’ll get some interim results next week? They seem be released on Mondays to coincide with the markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Gael23 wrote: »
    Older people in the community not being done until March

This is just with Pfizer though, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement