Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Might need to have a word with your PM so.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-vaccine-idUSKBN29415B

"We are not considering (making it mandatory), we rule it out," Conte told reporters at his year-end news conference

I know you may not care the less, but in a today's interview, the Minister for Health announced the timeline for the vaccine in this country, and his interview ended with the words "by the end of August we'll have finished the roll out on voluntary basis"... letting people understand that after that date the rest of the public that haven't taken the vaccine voluntarily will be obliged to take it.
    I believe that other countries could have the same plans if their citizens aren't persuaded enough.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

letting people understand that after that date the rest of the public that haven't taken the vaccine voluntarily will be obliged to take it.

Take it to Conspiracy Theories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

nommm wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1346868201951555588?s=21

Janssen on track for EUA in the US by the end of January. Should mean that we get it in February. Maybe we’ll get some interim results next week? They seem be released on Mondays to coincide with the markets.

Am I right in thinking that novavax phase 3 trial is only starting and it only has 3000 volunteers? Surely that's wrong, if they're planning on releasing their results soon, then presumably they've been running phase 3 trials for quite some time, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I believe that other countries could have the same plans if their citizens aren't persuaded enough.

I'm probably wasting my time here but anyway: politicians have consistently said vaccines won't be mandatory. Consistently.

When they talk about 'voluntary' vaccination they mean anyone who wants it outside of a priority group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not sure if anyone mentioned it now but unfortunately we now meet the perfect criteria for a Phase 3 trial. Massive disease.

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking that novavax phase 3 trial is only starting and it only has 3000 volunteers? Surely that's wrong, if they're planning on releasing their results soon, then presumably they've been running phase 3 trials for quite some time, right?

That is in the US. The UK trial has been running since September

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I know you may not care the less, but in a today's interview, the Minister for Health announced the timeline for the vaccine in this country, and his interview ended with the words "by the end of August we'll have finished the roll out on voluntary basis"... letting people understand that after that date the rest of the public that haven't taken the vaccine voluntarily will be obliged to take it.

There is no way any reasonable person would take up that meaning, it simply means anyone who wants one by August will have one.

Here is the thing though, people dont seem to see how far away that is. Allowing for it to take affect we are talking 9 minths fro. now. The crises started here only a little over 9 months ago, barely half way there.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The 3000 refers to the US Novavax trial. There is also a UK trial which was fully enrolled with 15000 people in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Post from a regular, sensible regular on Reddit Ireland
    The vaccine will be rolled out to only 2.7% of the population by March. By end of April this might be up to 7%, depending on just how fast the various vaccines come in.

If we are really lucky we might hit 30% by the end of the year.

We need 70% for herd immunity.

We need Oxford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

ShineOn7 wrote: »

We need Oxford

Is that because of a vaccine shortage/delays in delivery or is it due to incompetence/lack of urgency on the part of the HSE. Vaccine is being distributed 24/7 in Israel now, program to be completely finished end of February. Where are we going wrong?

• Advertisement

We need Oxford
    I don't agree with that poster tbh.
    MacCraith has made it clear that anyone who wants a vaccine will have it by August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I don't agree with that poster tbh.
    MacCraith has made it clear that anyone who wants a vaccine will have it by August.

The poster was probably Jerry McConkey Ryan Staines Killeen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is that because of a vaccine shortage/delays in delivery or is it due to incompetence/lack of urgency on the part of the HSE. Vaccine is being distributed 24/7 in Israel now, program to be completely finished end of February. Where are we going wrong?

Procurement.

Israel got a lot more vaccine than we did and ordering early.

Small country out bidding every one else rather than a small country in a big coalition ordering late and paying the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Procurement.

Israel got a lot more vaccine than we did and ordering early.

Small country out bidding very one else rather than a small country in a big coalition ordering late.

We saved money I was told on here and we would be screwed if we weren't in the EU.

PUP payments at 200-350 a week seems more expensive to me.

The HSE bashing on here is getting tiresome tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Are they releasing the daily vaccination fixtures yet ?

If not why not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

The 3000 refers to the US Novavax trial. There is also a UK trial which was fully enrolled with 15000 people in November.

Thanks for that,

Any idea how many the EU have actually ordered?

We saved money I was told on here and we would be screwed if we weren't in the EU.

PUP payments at 200-350 a week seems more expensive to me.

Did you know last March that Pfizer would be the lead vaccine?

If you didn't know then you are in the same shoes as the rest of us. The EU made a diversified gamble on a number of options.

If they could go in today and say give us 300 million doses for 40 euro each they would. Unfortunately contracts are signed by now.

If Pfizer did more than a single special deal (like Israel) every country would be out bidding each other. We would have less than we do I'd say.

Thanks for that,

Any idea how many the EU have actually ordered?

As far as I can tell, they have not actually finalised a deal with the EU yet. But the latest report suggests 100 million doses plus an option for 100 million more

statesaver wrote: »
    Are they releasing the daily vaccination fixtures yet ?

If not why not ?

MM said today that the HSE would be releasing weekly totals at their press briefings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

MM said today that the HSE would be releasing weekly totals at their press briefings.

Excellent. It'll be nice to get some good news for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

We need Oxford

We don’t need Oxford, we just need other vaccines. Plenty more coming along alongside increased production of other highly efficacious vaccines. Don’t understand the obsession with Oxford at all.

nommm wrote: »
    We don’t need Oxford, we just need other vaccines. Don’t understand the obsession with Oxford at all.

We do need higher volumes of some vaccine though, and soon. Any of Oxford, J & J or Novavax would do. Oxford has been approved in the UK and seems very suitable for mass distribution to those under 60, with Pfizer/Moderna reserved for those at higher risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We have confirmed as many positive cases since Christmas as we have in the previous 7 months.

Sobering statistic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Where did you see those figures?

Sorry - should have said “for example”

We do need higher volumes of some vaccine though, and soon. Any of Oxford, J & J or Novavax would do. Oxford has been approved in the UK and seems very suitable for mass distribution to those under 60, with Pfizer/Moderna reserved for those at higher risk.

Well yes obviously, I just find the Oxford obsession a bit strange. The other vaccines will come. Remember its less than 2 months since Pfizer came along, things will start to move very quick, very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Did you know last March that Pfizer would be the lead vaccine?

If you didn't know then you are in the same shoes as the rest of us. The EU made a diversified gamble on a number of options.

If they could go in today and say give us 300 million doses for 40 euro each they would. Unfortunately contracts are signed by now.

If Pfizer did more than a single special deal (like Israel) every country would be out bidding each other. We would have less than we do I'd say.

We didn't know that then, at that stage astra zeneca looked to be in the lead, what we did know however was by October/November that the Oxford / astra zeneca trial was not likely to fullfil the requirements of the EMA, so either EMA should have lowered their trial standards due to the urgent need and at a minimum the fact it drops hospital admittance (see UK) or other orders should have been bulked up.
    The issues with the trial were all over the media it wasn't secret.

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/european-commission-authorizes-covid-19-vaccine-moderna-europe

Deliveries from Moderna to begin to Europe next week from their ‘dedicated non US supply’.

We didn't know that then, at that stage astra zeneca looked to be in the lead, what we did know however was by October/November that the Oxford / astra zeneca trial was not likely to fullfil the requirements of the EMA, so either EMA should have lowered their trial standards due to the urgent need and at a minimum the fact it drops hospital admittance (see UK) or other orders should have been bulked up.
    The issues with the trial were all over the media it wasn't secret.

They were. It was too late to do it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Has there been any confirmation that the essential frontline workers in chippers, Chinese takeaways, off licences, etc. will be prioritised for vaccinations?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement