Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

GazzaL wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmation that the essential frontline workers in chippers, Chinese takeaways, off licences, etc. will be prioritised for vaccinations?

Genuinely laughing at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

FT report here (paywall) on the South African variant.

- University of KwaZulu-Natal, who is leading South Africa’s scientific effort to understand the 501Y.V2 strain said vaccine could be less effective on this variant.
    - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle said emerging lineages in South Africa and Brazil carrying the E484K mutation will have greatly reduced susceptibility to neutralisation by the . . . serum antibodies of some individuals”. However, the effect was much stronger in some people than others.
    - Prof de Oliveira’s team in South Africa reached similar conclusions and said "There is a reason to be concerned".
    - "Strong preliminary results" by Prof de Oliveira’s team will be released soon, they have being working day and night to analyse this variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

GazzaL wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmation that the essential frontline workers in chippers, Chinese takeaways, off licences, etc. will be prioritised for vaccinations?

Yeh . Cabinet now sitting to see if they should be done before the frontline ambulance crews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

JTMan wrote: »

- University of KwaZulu-Natal, who is leading South Africa’s scientific effort to understand the 501Y.V2 strain said vaccine could be less effective on this variant.
    - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle said emerging lineages in South Africa and Brazil carrying the E484K mutation will have greatly reduced susceptibility to neutralisation by the . . . serum antibodies of some individuals”. However, the effect was much stronger in some people than others.
    - Prof de Oliveira’s team in South Africa reached similar conclusions and said "There is a reason to be concerned".
    - "Strong preliminary results" by Prof de Oliveira’s team will be released soon, they have being working day and night to analyse this variant.

You can't say that here :p

The vaccine's are gonna hit Covid like an Atom Bomb

Luke O'Neill posted a paper saying it was all good yesterday

He's book is out next btw and he will be on the Late Late on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Solar2021 wrote: »

Pathetic. You seem to be revelling in POTENTIALLY bad news. Nothing confirmed yet though (hence the capitals) so we'll see how it plays out.

• Advertisement

Pathetic. You seem to be revelling in POTENTIALLY bad news. Nothing confirmed yet though (hence the capitals) so we'll see how it plays out.

As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow

A strain will be found

That know's no bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

A strain will be found

That know's no bounds

Keep up the trolling. You, like this thread, will fade into obscurity by the end of the year. I'm sure you'll find another thread to get your kicks though

Keep up the trolling. You, like this thread, will fade into obscurity by the end of the year. I'm sure you'll find another thread to get your kicks though

Look man

Joking aside and apologies for my behaviour at times

You have to be realistic here, it's figuring us out, faster than we are figuring it out.

It's already evading antibody treatments and we are hearing daily worrying news on it, we had a chance to eradicate it and we let it mutate in millions upon millions of people and wildlife

The virus is not disappearing, it's as plain as day we are going to be fire fighting this for a very long time, it''s not going to just go away because we have made a vaccine

Hope is a dangerous thing, hope can blind you

I hope the vaccine's work, but i've prepared myself that they won't, nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭jackboy

I hope the vaccine's work, but i've prepared myself that they won't, nothing wrong with that

The vaccines will likely work but they won’t eradicate Covid. Covid is here permanently. We will have to endlessly tweak the vaccines and revaccinate, like we do with the flu. We should get better and better with that process over time.

However, during some years the flu, due to mutations, beats that years vaccines to a significant degree. If that happens with covid we will likely need further lockdowns. This is absolutely a realistic scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Does anyone know the timeline for the roll-out of the vaccine for the different jobs of work and age groups of the population please or if there’s such a thing?

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    The vaccines will likely work but they won’t eradicate Covid. Covid is here permanently. We will have to endlessly tweak the vaccines and revaccinate, like we do with the flu. We should get better and better with that process over time.

However, during some years the flu, due to mutations, beats that years vaccines to a significant degree. If that happens with covid we will likely need further lockdowns. This is absolutely a realistic scenario.

Exactly

You said it better than I ever could and I agree with it all

I'll get out of this thread now for a while before I get attacked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

A strain will be found

That know's no bounds

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

1914862687a7ea1a908496ad78651d37.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The misery merchants experts out in full force tonight. I’m guessing RTE with all the doom and gloom today with the press conference has given the merchants an adrenaline rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

JTMan wrote: »

Pfizer had a phase 3 trial in South Africa, i presume they've expanded their continual monitoring to analyze this. Right?

Procurement.

Israel got a lot more vaccine than we did and ordering early.

Small country out bidding every one else rather than a small country in a big coalition ordering late and paying the asking price.

Israel are paying double what we are. And took a risk in approving early. If we had gone the same direction most of the bashers here would be hollering about us overpaying and putting health at risk by approving too fast.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jackboy wrote: »

An optimist would hope that the theory behind the 1889-1890 pandemic, that it was not caused by influenza and actually caused by coronavirus HCoV-OC43, would transpire here and SARS-CoV-2 mutates into a less virulent strain.

The issue being that it now appears to have mutated into a more transmissible strain with no decrease in virulence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

So is herd immunity the most realistic way forward in the future? Not sure humans can live happily, lurching from one lockdown to the next. My head is not in a good place at the moment and we're less than a full year into this pandemic. And I know many more who are in a way worse place than I am....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

I’ll preface this by saying that it may be unsubstantiated bull****, if so I genuinely apologise, but I’ve heard a rumour that a four-figure quantity of vaccines were very recently dumped by a hospital in Cork instead of being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

From The Journal:

– Around 50,000 people have received a first dose;

– 91% of care home residents have been vaccinated;

– 30,000 healthcare staff have been jabbed;

– Some 504 boxes of AstraZeneca, representing 50,400 doses, have been received;

– 45 GP practices have been given the vaccine to administer to their staff and the over-80s;

– From the start of the next week all practices will have received 100 doses;

– By 18 January more doses are expected to be received from AstraZeneca.
    That is in Northern Ireland but maybe the Shinners could steal the AstraZeneca for us down here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

blackcard wrote: »
    That is in Northern Ireland but maybe the Shinners could steal the AstraZeneca for us down here

You'll have to request a special order from South Armagh. Those boys can get you anything, at a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Water John wrote: »
    You'll have to request a special order from South Armagh. Those boys can get you anything, at a price.
    At least there is no Hard Border or they would be fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

Seems surreal

Why would that happen?

Would be headline news if true

The specifics evade me but I believe staff were refused the use of them too.

When I heard I was baffled and a little irate about it. I’ve no visibility of any of it happening so I’m just going based on what I’ve heard. As I said it may be entirely false, I don’t get that feeling though.

Personally, I think there’s an intrinsic cost associated with C19; social, personal, financial etc. I also think there’s a cost associated with mismanagement and a lack of planning and this (alleged) scenario looks like that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Iguarantee wrote: »

When I heard I was baffled and a little irate about it. I’ve no visibility of any of it happening so I’m just going based on what I’ve heard. As I said it may be entirely false, I don’t get that feeling though.

Personally, I think there’s an intrinsic cost associated with C19; social, personal, financial etc. I also think there’s a cost associated with mismanagement and a lack of planning and this (alleged) scenario looks like that to me.
    Any idea what hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Israel are paying double what we are. And took a risk in approving early. If we had gone the same direction most of the bashers here would be hollering about us overpaying and putting health at risk by approving too fast.

We could pay double what Israel are paying and if it got us quantity I would be happy as ending lockdown will get us out of this sooner.

I would however be one of those hollering about approving without giving due care and attention if I felt they had rushed the approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I’ll preface this by saying that it may be unsubstantiated bull****, if so I genuinely apologise, but I’ve heard a rumour that a four-figure quantity of vaccines were very recently dumped by a hospital in Cork instead of being used.

Dumped? As in some kind of antivax thing or dumped by mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Rumours grow legs and despite being sparce on info, you havent pieced together what plausible reasons there might be but primed to be really annoyed.

There are plenty valid reasons for vials to be binned, time after thawing was up, mishandled, cant refreeze them after thawing etc. The pfizer jab is a very tricky thing to manage, and some hospitals are in their first days of doing it.

I am probably fueling it now, but If the vials were ok, Worse case in my mind would be a situation where there were spare vials, staff left weren't frontline, someone in charge was under strict instruction to stick to priority list, took that protocol a bit too far. That's worse case in my mind, no idea how plausible but ya would be very very frustrating.

Saying that, Everyone is watching the vacine programme like hawks waiting for a slip up or misjudgement at the minute, i have a lot of sympathy for people in charge on the ground. They also have a covid crisis to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Jesus, if we kept at the current rate of infections of 7836 a day, we’d have the whole population infected in less than 2 years, over half the population in a year! We’d have certain herd immunity who’d need a vaccine! It might be quicker than the roll out lol. Yes i know that route would cause untold damage but interesting nonetheless. It means it would have to end and burn out either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Australia announced they going start vaccinations mid Feb and hope to have 4 million vaccinated by end of March. So 4m in 6 weeks.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/covid-19-vaccination-on-track-to-start-in-february-scott-morrison-20210107-p56seb.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement