Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

gally74 wrote: »
    35K was the target this week, so again v poor, to be honest shocking poor,

This is a pandemic... and we are so far behind,

It’s only Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

We don't have the supply to do more than that.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1347187494153031682?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We've received 80k. 35k done this week. Second dose is 70k total. We can do max of 5k more than 35k this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It still is this week and its Thursday, 35k is by Sunday. No reason that shouldn't be reached

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I also expect Reid's figures are at least a day behind. That 15,000 isn't the number completed by lunchtime today.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    81,900 doses received.

15,314 doses administered to date - aim is 35,000 by end of the week.

Not overly impressed by that

How ? 50% held back for second dose, there's about 5k more that could be done within current capacity which is what it raises to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

We've received 80k. 35k done this week. Second dose is 70k total. We can do max of 5k more than 35k this week.

Sorry, yep, I agree - thought the numbers were good to show that theres an element of receive -> deliver -> administer whereas people assume it's a matter of vaccines landing from abroad directly airdropped into hospitals or nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We can do a max of 5k more if we're deciding to fully hold back all second doses. Which is definitely up for debate.

Either way, we have the supply for 5k more which is 14% more that isn't being distributed. Our standards are going to need to be higher than that going forward.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So will they determine who is in each group going by their GPs and, otherwise, it's self elective? Presumably this could miss a few people (somehow!) particularly if, for whatever reason, some older at risk folk don't have an active GP.

We can do a max of 5k more if we're deciding to fully hold back all second doses. Which is definitely up for debate.

Either way, we have the supply for 5k more which is 14% more that isn't being distributed. Our standards are going to need to be higher than that going forward.
    Maybe, just maybe, they've kept 5k back in case of logistical failure, issue with cooling, issue in specific areas, etc??

You'd rather we kept 0 as a failsafe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

We don't have the supply to do more than that.

not true

not true
    Do expand

Maybe, just maybe, they've kept 5k back in case of logistical failure, issue with cooling, issue in specific areas, etc??

You'd rather we kept 0 as a failsafe?

They've kept 45k back, so no I do not think that '5k' has been kept back for that reason.

They've kept 45k back, so no I do not think that '5k' has been kept back for that reason.
    For the second doses..........
    They literally said they're doing that until the Pfizer supply chain is secure.
    You're clutching now, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

smurfjed wrote: »
    This is a vaccine discussion, political garbage and rantings are that way >>>>

Don’t compare Ireland to that Sh*thole totally different.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

40k for the second dose
    5k buffer for failure perhaps.
    ..45k.

For the second doses..........
    They literally said they're doing that until the Pfizer supply chain is secure.
    You're clutching now, to be fair.
    I'm really not. You're speculating pretty much anything you can to defend the rollout.

So right now you're saying;

We have received 80k
    We're only happy to use 35k because we need 35k for second doses (in case of supply issues) and another 10k in case something else goes wrong? That is utter madness

not true

Stephen Donnelly
    @DonnellyStephen
    Delighted to share that this morning we increased our vaccine target for this week from 20,000 to 35,000.

Includes nursing home residents & staff, front line healthcare workers in hospitals & in the community. Working with the HSE to have GPs included in that

The plan was 35K this week,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I have a four year old boy. Every so often, he'll ask for chicken nuggets and chips for dinner. I agree and start heating up the oven to cook the food. Three minutes later, he walks up to me and demands to know where his nugs and chips are. I tell him that they need to be cooked and I'll give them to him as soon as they're done. He'll often throw a fit which I generally laugh off. Reading a lot of the posts on this thread is like those conversations with my four year old.

Stephen Donnelly
    @DonnellyStephen
    Delighted to share that this morning we increased our vaccine target for this week from 20,000 to 35,000.

Includes nursing home residents & staff, front line healthcare workers in hospitals & in the community. Working with the HSE to have GPs included in that

The plan was 35K this week,

This week isn't over yet. This week is Monday to Sunday. Its Thursday.

• Advertisement

This week isn't over yet. This week is Monday to Sunday. Its Thursday.

Sunday is the start of the week,

The rollout started Monday. It's Monday to Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Same information as have been discussed above, but this slide is great - well done HSE (on the transparency).

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1347190561179107329/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

By week's end , it's only Thursday and it's still the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most people go with Monday and that's when they started the homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Christ, you might be one of the worst people to have a discussion with on this entire forum.

Its slow, but because the stockpile and buffering for 2nd in dose it not as slow as you think. The supply security risk might be slim, but its still there and has to be mitigated for because delays in 2nd dose mean risk going off label and theres consequence to that.

This thread is pretty tired of people whinging about progress without looking for some plausible reasons or justifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

lbj666 wrote: »
    Its slow, but because the stockpile and buffering for 2nd in dose it not as slow as you think. The supply security risk might be slim, but its still there and has to be mitigated for because delays in 2nd dose mean risk going off label and theres consequence to that.

The maximum interval is 42 days, if there is that level of delay, we'll really be in the deep dooda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Sure, that's why the weekend consists of Saturday and Sunday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Not for most normal people and businesses. I'd say they'll go with that rather than your definition.

Is Sunday not part of your weekend no?

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »

This thread is pretty tired of people whinging about progress without looking for some plausible reasons or justifications.

Are we allowed to discuss the efficacy of the rollout or not?

Holding back both second doses and additional doses for other potential issues seems like overkill to me. However that isn't even confirmed, that is speculation.

To need 45k left over there would have to be a supply chain issue where we miss an entire delivery and mess up the use of another 5-10k. That would seem to be an overly conservative use of supplies in a public health emergency.

There is of course the alternative that we're simply holding back the second doses and the rest won't be used yet because the vaccination plan is still scaling up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement