Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The maximum interval is 42 days, if there is that level of delay, we'll really be in the deep dooda.

Yup slim chance but still have to mitigate for it, all it takes is a batch failing QA or a freezer going on the blink to throw things off kilter. Its happened already, EU got half they were supposed before end of 2021 cause of a failed batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Haha its only the first week and they cant hit their target

You'd laugh if it wasnt so serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

lbj666 wrote: »
    Yup slim chance but still have to mitigate for it, all it takes is a batch failing QA or a freezer going on the blink to throw things off kilter. Its happened already, EU got half they were supposed before end of 2021 cause of a failed batch.

Well three batches in a row. I don't think so and likelihood of issues will diminish quickly as everybody builds up competence in their roles. I think Denmark and Isral have opted to use it all as it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Haha its only the first week and they cant hit their target

You'd laugh if it wasnt so serious

Well its Thursday the week ends on Sunday so you can't exactly say they haven't hit their target.

Include today, Friday, Saturday and Sunday should be quite achievable to reach the target

AdamD wrote: »
    Are we allowed to discuss the efficacy of the rollout or not?

Holding back both second doses and additional doses for other potential issues seems like overkill to me. However that isn't even confirmed, that is speculation.

To need 45k left over there would have to be a supply chain issue where we miss an entire delivery and mess up the use of another 5-10k. That would seem to be an overly conservative use of supplies in a public health emergency.

There is of course the alternative that we're simply holding back the second doses and the rest won't be used yet because the vaccination plan is still scaling up.

I think you are right its a bit of column A and B. Stockpiling and slow start. Not just slow start.

I dont think its overkill to keep a weeks worth in stock tbh. Its probably going to be less as rollout pace improves. We are only into the 2nd proper week of pfizer deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

So they’ve only 15,000 vaccinated ? Are you f’ing joking me . That’s from receiving delivery on 26th December. So much for 35,000 this week alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It’s like Groundhog Day in here sometimes. It can’t be repeated enough that we are not going to get out of 2nd gear on this rollout until one of the other vaccines is approved. It’s going to be small numbers until then in relative terms.

The news above mine about Janssen is fantastic and provides the seeds for real hope.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

By the way we have ordered 2.2m from Janssen. Stored in a fridge. Single dose so 2.2m vaccinated.

If it’s anything near Pfizer efficacy wise we can rightly push on. The Janssen allocation will allow us to vaccinate nearly 3 times as many people as the Moderna allocation for example

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cork2021 wrote: »

"Could be approved in weeks"

Not much different to the expected timeline. With phase 3 interim data due potentially by the end of the month your probably looking at February for an application into FDA & EMA I'd say

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    It’s like Groundhog Day in here sometimes. It can’t be repeated enough that we are not going to get out of 2nd gear on this rollout until one of the other vaccines is approved. It’s going to be small numbers until then in relative terms.

The news above mine about Janssen is fantastic and provides the seeds for real hope.

Im just going be what we were told by the CEO and the Minister for Health . They shouldn't have lied to us so

The vaccine arrived on December 26th . And we have 15k vaccinated to date . Its pathetic but not overly surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Cork2021 wrote: »

I've just been emailed about joining the J&J phase III trial.

It's for a 2 shot trial.

It will be interesting what the % is for 1 shot is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

What im frustrated with is the way the HSE is working this,

They need to be clear and transparent with people, if they need help ask private industry to get involved... for Example testing is being done great by many private companies,

Anyone who has ever being involved in any kind of Ramp, knows you have to go hard early to understand where the process etc. brekas down or where the constaint's are, that helps you figure out what will happen when your supplies increase and you need to go faster.

So to set soft targets, or delay deleries etc. dosent help you figure out the issue,

Why are mass vaccination sites not being setup now? liek we did with testing,

For the KPI's id like to see Daily,

Daily Vaccinated, Cumlative Vaccinated, By province and by % by Province,
    Qty on Hand by province,
    Qty in Shipping from supplier,
    Qty on shelf awaiting Shipment.

Projected shipments by week based on probalby approval of Astra, JnJ etc.

Projected Vacc by Week based on the above plus constraints / plans.

As these are trended with time we can see are we winning or loossing, its a public gov this info should be shared.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Why are so many people willing the vaccine rollout to fall before the first hurdle has even been reached? At least give them a chance to hit the target they outlined before condemning them!

Reminds me of the two lads who own the Lebanese restaurant in the simpsons ‘Sometimes I think you WANT to fail’!:)

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Why are so many people willing the vaccine rollout to fall before the first hurdle has even been reached? At least give them a chance to hit the target they outlined before condemning them!

Reminds me of the two lads who own the Lebanese restaurant in the simpsons ‘Sometimes I think you WANT to fail’!:)

I don't think this is it. They are really invested in it succeeding and are highly stressed and fearful of any delays esp. avoidable ones.

To date this week they have done just over 11k. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see they will fall considerably short

Still people will defend them . Supply , 2nd jab, logistics etc etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

marno21 wrote: »
    By the way we have ordered 2.2m from Janssen. Stored in a fridge. Single dose so 2.2m vaccinated.

If it’s anything near Pfizer efficacy wise we can rightly push on. The Janssen allocation will allow us to vaccinate nearly 3 times as many people as the Moderna allocation for example

any idea how many they would have ready to go at the start 50k an week?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

gally74 wrote: »
    What im frustrated with is the way the HSE is working this,

They need to be clear and transparent with people, if they need help ask private industry to get involved... for Example testing is being done great by many private companies

There are a number of private companies heavily involved in the vaccination program; in planning, distribution and tracking.

Just because you personally don't know about it, doesn't mean it's not happening.
    gally74 wrote: »
    Why are mass vaccination sites not being setup now? liek we did with testing,

There's no point in mass vaccination sites when you don't have masses of vaccines to distribute, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

To date this week they have done just over 11k. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see they will fall considerably short

15k after three days and we still have 4-days of vaccination administration data for this week to report, today included.

ETA: Sorry it is in fact 11k administrated this week, as pointed out to me below.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

15k after three days and we still have 4-days of vaccination administration data for this week to report, today included.

15K is since we got delivery not this weeks no,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I don't think this is it. They are really invested in it succeeding and are highly stressed and fearful of any delays esp. avoidable ones.

I understand that, But they’ve set a target of 35,000 by end of the week and some people aren’t even giving them a chance to reach that.

15k since delivery . 11k this week. Might be hard to get them working the weekend don't forget

Every single day for 9 months its been what the public cant do . Do this dont do that bla bla bla

When its finally their turn to get the rollout in order its a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ok fair enough, but with four days of vaccine data to be reported, a target of 35k is easily achievable, 6ka day.

I understand that, But they’ve set a target of 35,000 by end of the week and some people aren’t even giving them a chance to reach that.

I agree that it is unreasonable, I just have a more charitable view of the motive. Maybe I'm a sucker.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Let's see where we are on Monday/Tuesday and then we'll see if we need to organise a delivery (as click and collect isn't there) of pitchforks.

They are all in defence of the plan.

If they are in fact failing well short of their own targets/plan, we wont be giving those defences.

seamie78 wrote: »
    any idea how many they would have ready to go at the start 50k an week?

The great thing about that one is that 50k would be 50k with no need for buffers or holding 50% back. It would also mean significantly less administration, managing two appointments and all that lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The people claiming the HSE have missed their 35k target must have a time machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The people claiming the HSE have missed their 35k target must have a time machine.
    Its almost like they want to see it fail tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement