Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

We won't be getting more vaccines by the end of the week (when we will have 48k delivered)

What do you want. 24/7 vaccinations on Monday and 6 days with no vaccinations (Tuesday to Sunday).

What’s the difference between vaccinating 1000 people on a Monday or vaccinating 1000 people spread between Monday to Sunday?

I’m genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hardyn wrote: »
    https://businessam.be/farmawaakhond-oxford-vaccin-kan-volgende-maand-al-europese-goedkeuring-krijgen/

In Dutch so you'll have to translate but the Deputy Director of the EMA says that Astra Zeneca have provided additional data over the last week. Assuming there are no more issues they could begin the process in the coming days with approval in a few weeks.

In English

Unless additional questions arise, the approval of the corona vaccine from Oxford University and AstraZeneca could move quickly. This is what Noel Wathion, the number two of the European medicines agency EMA, says in an interview that appears on Business AM this weekend.

The EMA has already approved two vaccines, that of Pfizer / BioNTech and that of Moderna. Two others, those from AstraZeneca and Janssen Pharma, are in the pipeline in the short term.

Some time ago it was sounded that there was not enough data to quickly approve the injections of AstraZeneca, but it now appears to be making progress. "At the end of December and this week, we received another new set of data with answers to some questions," says Wathion. "If those answers are satisfactory, we can move on to the next phase in the coming days and if no further problems arise, we will only need a few weeks for preliminary market approval."

The process took three weeks for the Pfizer vaccine and slightly longer for the Moderna vaccine. The UK has already authorized AstraZeneca to market its vaccine in the UK.

Rolling review
    The vaccine from Janssen Pharmaceutica and its American partner Johnson & Johnson is currently in the so-called rolling review, where the data from the clinical studies will be reviewed immediately after the study has ended. CEO Paul Stoffels has already told various media that the tests will be completed by the end of January, but it will then have to wait a while for approval, according to Wathion. "I don't want to put a date on it, but it will be a while before we can start the next step there."

64-year-old Belgian Noel Wathion is deputy director of the EMA. He started his professional life as a pharmacist in Hasselt and slowly rose to number two in the pharma watchdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hardyn wrote: »
    https://businessam.be/farmawaakhond-oxford-vaccin-kan-volgende-maand-al-europese-goedkeuring-krijgen/

In Dutch so you'll have to translate but the Deputy Director of the EMA says that Astra Zeneca have provided additional data over the last week. Assuming there are no more issues they could begin the process in the coming days with approval in a few weeks.

Excellent. Good to see they gave them data quickly that was required.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What’s the difference between vaccinating 1000 people on a Monday or vaccinating 1000 people spread between Monday to Sunday?

I’m genuinely curious.
    It's nursing homes for the next two weeks, so 1000 a day might be a lot more impractical as they will be well scattered. 1000 a day in a mass vaccination centre is fine but that will be a long while coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I’m genuinely curious.

Nothing really.

It's probably a lot easier logistically to spread it over the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Excellent. Good to see they gave them data quickly that was required.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly over the next few weeks

Yes, and they have spent more time reviewing AstraZeneca than Pfizer or Moderna so you would hope they can come to a very quick decision once they have all the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Cute - we can all see what you're at with your misinformation.

I wasn't "at" anything! I was just showing what I had read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The vaccine taskforce have already hired a PR spokesperson

Couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Couldn't make it up
    That sounds very sensible tbh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Couldn't make it up

Formerly communications for Bus Eireann

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »

They'll probably just make unintelligible announcements over a loudspeaker so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Stheno wrote: »

Wouldn't you just laugh your balls off if when announcing the next two vaccine approvals news spokesperson says, "just like buses, you waited for one, and then two came along"

Wouldn't you just laugh your balls off if when announcing the next two vaccine approvals news spokesperson says, "just like buses, you waited for one, and then two came along"

Might not run as per the timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Beat me to it, although that joke will probably be done to death by 9pm

Vaccinations are being carried out at 25 long-term care locations this week and will continue over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Might not run as per the timetable
    Works 90% of the time, 100% of the time.

Best of luck to them, it's an appointment which is urgently required. I doubt they've ever had anyone screaming at them that "buses don't exist" or "it's not a bus, it's only a taxi" or "the timetables are set by bill gates".

is_that_so wrote: »
    Vaccinations are being carried out at 25 long-term care locations this week and will continue over the weekend.

If people can still get covid after vaccination in these facilities just a weaker dose it won't really affect case numbers . And if they unfortunately die it will be down as a covid death aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

If people can still get covid after vaccination in these facilities just a weaker dose it won't really affect case numbers . And if they unfortunately die it will be down as a covid death aswel

Can but in lesser numbers with reduced severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

hmmm wrote: »
    Works 90% of the time, 100% of the time.

Best of luck to them, it's an appointment which is urgently required. I doubt they've ever had anyone screaming at them that "buses don't exist" or "it's not a bus, it's only a taxi" or "the timetables are set by bill gates".

There have been many a phantom bus to be fair

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Can but in lesser numbers with reduced severity.

True but severity isn't taken into consideration when it comes to positive cases

The number is just presented and decisions made from it . For instance 6k a day at the moment . They don't say 5900 will be fine in 10 days

So how will these vaccines change lockdowns ?

Do we move away from case numbers being the driving force behind everything ?

Will it then just be the number hospitalised after a certain number of vaccines are done ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

True but severity isn't taken into consideration when it comes to positive cases

The number is just presented and decisions made from it . For instance 6k a day at the moment . They don't say 5900 will be fine in 10 days

So how will these vaccines change lockdowns ?

Do we move away from case numbers being the driving force behind everything ?

Will it then just be the number hospitalised after a certain number of vaccines are done ?

Yes, it changes how they determine when to go into lockdown. The point of lockdown is to not overwhelm the health system, when the vaccine starts reducing those needing the health system, the need to lockdown is also lessened. At some point we stop tracking case number as closely, but it won't be an overnight change, it will take many weeks/months to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I have a four year old boy. Every so often, he'll ask for chicken nuggets and chips for dinner. I agree and start heating up the oven to cook the food. Three minutes later, he walks up to me and demands to know where his nugs and chips are. I tell him that they need to be cooked and I'll give them to him as soon as they're done. He'll often throw a fit which I generally laugh off. Reading a lot of the posts on this thread is like those conversations with my four year old.

Yes but in a life and death situation you run to/order from the chipper while waiting for the oven to heat up as a back up, If he is possibly going to die from it you pull out all the stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Dr Paul Williams in the UK:

“Some local patients have turned down an offer this weekend of getting a Covid vaccine when they found out it was the Pfizer one. “I’ll wait for the English one”.

People at risk of death in the depths of a pandemic.

A lesson that Nationalism has consequences.“

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Apologies if posted already but Moderna had some positive news today:

Moderna CEO says vaccine likely to protect for 'couple of years'

and

Bancel added his company was about to prove that its vaccine would also be effective against variants of the coronavirus seen in Britain and South Africa.

Scientists have said newly developed vaccines should be equally effective against both variants.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-moderna-vaccine/moderna-ceo-says-vaccine-likely-to-protect-for-couple-of-years-idUSKBN29C0YK?utm_source=reddit.com

Brilliant news if true.

Pity Solar2021 got banned yesterday, I'd only love to see him attempt to downplay this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Brilliant news if true.

Pity Solar2021 got banned yesterday, I'd only love to see him attempt to downplay this!

He/she would find another succesful way of getting under ones skin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Well they won't be getting tested because they won't be sick. So there's that

Brilliant news if true.

“But but but Porton Down are testing it and they are going to prove we are screwed until they don’t and I move onto the next bizarre theory”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Cork2021 wrote: »
    In English

Unless additional questions arise, the approval of the corona vaccine from Oxford University and AstraZeneca could move quickly. This is what Noel Wathion, the number two of the European medicines agency EMA, says in an interview that appears on Business AM this weekend.

The EMA has already approved two vaccines, that of Pfizer / BioNTech and that of Moderna. Two others, those from AstraZeneca and Janssen Pharma, are in the pipeline in the short term.

Some time ago it was sounded that there was not enough data to quickly approve the injections of AstraZeneca, but it now appears to be making progress. "At the end of December and this week, we received another new set of data with answers to some questions," says Wathion. "If those answers are satisfactory, we can move on to the next phase in the coming days and if no further problems arise, we will only need a few weeks for preliminary market approval."

The process took three weeks for the Pfizer vaccine and slightly longer for the Moderna vaccine. The UK has already authorized AstraZeneca to market its vaccine in the UK.

Rolling review
    The vaccine from Janssen Pharmaceutica and its American partner Johnson & Johnson is currently in the so-called rolling review, where the data from the clinical studies will be reviewed immediately after the study has ended. CEO Paul Stoffels has already told various media that the tests will be completed by the end of January, but it will then have to wait a while for approval, according to Wathion. "I don't want to put a date on it, but it will be a while before we can start the next step there."

64-year-old Belgian Noel Wathion is deputy director of the EMA. He started his professional life as a pharmacist in Hasselt and slowly rose to number two in the pharma watchdog.

I take it 'the next phase in the coming days' is they'll put a date on the AstraZeneca approval like they did with Pfizer and Moderna?

• Advertisement

I take it 'the next phase in the coming days' is they'll put a date on the AstraZeneca approval like they did with Pfizer and Moderna?
    Likely to be February but not clear what part of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement