Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Sinovac's Brazilian trial reporting 78% efficacy.
    https://in.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-brazil-sinovac/sinovacs-covid-19-vaccine-78-effective-in-late-stage-trials-in-brazil-source-idINKBN29C1W5?il=0&utm_source=reddit.com
    It makes me wonder what place the Oxford/AZ vaccine will have if it is superseded by the J&J and Novovax vaccines in the West, and by Sinovac and Sputnik V in the global south? The fight to be the 'workhorse' is still on in the EU.

That the line is holding will give a greater power to the bloc to push production on secure supply (e.g. Pfizer in Belgium, Germany, and Moderna in Switzerland and Spain) rather than handing over all the power the vaccine makers in a merciless bidding war.

78% isn't great, and particularly for vulnerable groups it would fall well short. Even for the general public with 80% take up, that would mean only 64% of the population immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Well they won't be getting tested because they won't be sick. So there's that

So you cant get sick once vaccinated ? Thought it just lessened the symptoms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

is_that_so wrote: »
    Likely to be February but not clear what part of it.
    At the end of December, Noël Wathion, the number two of the EMA, said in Het Nieuwsblad that a market license for AstraZeneca in January was unlikely. The Oxford vaccine was not expected to be available in Europe until March. With the new data, January will be a bit more feasible, Wathion confirms. 'We expect more data, so everything is still very conditional. But we are optimistic. It can be done within a few weeks without major problems. '

https://www.tijd.be/dossiers/coronavirus/goedkeuring-oxfordvaccin-zit-in-stroomversnelling/10275770.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So you cant get sick once vaccinated ? Thought it just lessened the symptoms ?

The vaccine does more than “lessen” symptoms, it’s not Solpadeine. You need to do some research on the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The vaccine does more than “lessen” symptoms, it’s not Solpadeine.

I'm genuinely curious . What does it do ? Does it stop me getting covid altogether ? I heard you would just get a mild form of covid if infected maybe I heard wrong

• Advertisement

I'm genuinely curious . What does it do ? Does it stop me getting covid altogether ? I heard you would just get a mild form of covid if infected maybe I heard wrong

Here’s an explanation here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/how-they-work.html

The good thing is if you do get unlucky and happen to get sick vaccines prevent serious disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

At the end of December, Noël Wathion, the number two of the EMA, said in Het Nieuwsblad that a market license for AstraZeneca in January was unlikely. The Oxford vaccine was not expected to be available in Europe until March. With the new data, January will be a bit more feasible, Wathion confirms. 'We expect more data, so everything is still very conditional. But we are optimistic. It can be done within a few weeks without major problems. '

https://www.tijd.be/dossiers/coronavirus/goedkeuring-oxfordvaccin-zit-in-stroomversnelling/10275770.html

With regard to AZ/Oxford, from memory they were one of the first, if not actually the first, to produce vaccine “at risk”. Do we have any idea what sort of stockpile they have built up to date and how many doses the EU could expect immediately after approval ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Will there be an option to just pay to get vaccinated once the vaccines become plentiful

Will there be an option to just pay to get vaccinated once the vaccines become plentiful

I'd say Boots would be ahead of the rest on this. I can see the AZ one being available through them, but when is the question. It could be May or June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

At some point there will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I would reckon towards the end of year boots/mccauleys will make it available to book yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’ll happen well before March. There will be pressure from member states on AstraZeneca and the EMA to get a move on!
    Watching prime time there they had the EU health spokeman on and he was good but wasn’t aloud finish a couple of sentences because of Louise Byrne.
    The EU cannot wait until March to have the Oxford vaccine! It’s the one that’ll help get us into summer with a lot less restrictions.
    I understand why the EMA are being thorough but it’s obvious other countries have accepted their quality and safety procedures why not look at their data and then go back to AstraZeneca and tell them to ask for an EUA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’ll happen well before March. There will be pressure from member states on AstraZeneca and the EMA to get a move on!
    Watching prime time there they had the EU health spokeman on and he was good but wasn’t aloud finish a couple of sentences because of Louise Byrne.
    The EU cannot wait until March to have the Oxford vaccine! It’s the one that’ll help get us into summer with a lot less restrictions.
    I understand why the EMA are being thorough but it’s obvious other countries have accepted their quality and safety procedures why not look at their data and then go back to AstraZeneca and tell them to ask for an EUA!

She is atrocious....I actually started a thread in Television about that. Atrocious etiquette for interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yea she is brutal. The guy is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Sky King wrote: »

That ranks amongst one of the worst I've ever seen but she's always the same. No way should she be fronting that programme. She's always like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

78% isn't great, and particularly for vulnerable groups it would fall well short. Even for the general public with 80% take up, that would mean only 64% of the population immune.

78% is an excellent result

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lillycakes2

Situation in Ireland is getting bad, I hope it doesnt get as bad as what happened in Italy- but looking likely

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Sky King wrote: »

And bang she’ll have her own chat show radio show and be RTE’s biggest earner.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0107/1188376-vaccine-england/

Will people reject AZ here because it is English .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I’m still thinking AstraZeneca/Oxford are slow to ask for authorisation as they’re making sure the UK get a good stockpile. It sounds conspiratorial but just an opinion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I'll take the soup.

El Sueño wrote: »
    78% is an excellent result

Not for something like covid. 80% take up would be a good result but that still leaves 35% of the population not immune.

And here's the thing, you don't know which 35% isn't immune which means it could be anyone but most likely the elderly and vulnerable.

If you think restrictions end while one third of the population isn't immune, you've another thing coming. And there's no evidence yet you can't still be infected or infect others, in fact the trials showed you can still be infected.

Don't get me wrong, the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines will be game changers but only because they are over 90% effective.

Vaccines under 80% effective will give a false sense of security for the reasons outlined. It would not bring an end to the epidemic in Brazil anytime soon if they choose Sinovac.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Vaccines under 80% effective will give a false sense of security for the reasons outlined.

Have you a source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Not for something like covid. 80% take up would be a good result but that still leaves 35% of the population not immune.

And here's the thing, you don't know which 35% isn't immune which means it could be anyone but most likely the elderly and vulnerable.

If you think restrictions end while one third of the population isn't immune, you've another thing coming. And there's no evidence yet you can't still be infected or infect others, in fact the trials showed you can still be infected.

Don't get me wrong, the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines will be game changers but only because they are over 90% effective.

Vaccines under 80% effective will give a false sense of security for the reasons outlined. It would not bring an end to the epidemic in Brazil anytime soon if they choose Sinovac.

Not one person had severe Covid with the Oxford vaccine. So far it has a 100% record on that. That is a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Highly flawed logic.

You are totally missing the point that those that 20% that do get the disease, if it it follows the trend of the other vacines, they would get a less severe illness than if they werent vaccinated.

Aztra zeneca trial had dramatic reduction of those infected needing hospitalisation in their trials after 2 dose.

Even after 1 dose, there was around 10 hospitalisations, only one of them was in the trial group.

I'll take the soup.

I want the German soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The 80/95% figures quoted for the vaccines are their effectiveness at preventing Covid.

A more important figure is their ability to prevent severe illness. There's less data on this, but we know that most of the Western vaccines have been at close to 100% in their trials. The Oxford vaccine had two hospitalisations in the vaccination group due to Covid, but they happened relatively shortly after the vaccine was administered.

On the basis of the evidence so far, the vaccines will reduce this to a headcold at worst for most, and something like a flu which doesn't require hospital care for those who do go on to develop Covid. We'll know more once we have more people vaccinated.

Situation in Ireland is getting bad, I hope it doesnt get as bad as what happened in Italy- but looking likely

There are already signs that the current restrictions are begining to work so i doubt there will be an italian drama here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

That might be true if the 20% had zero or close to zero protection but that's not the case. It will still prevent severe symptoms even where it doesn't "work".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement