Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

Is there anything to show that Ireland can't go it's own way and use approval by MHRA, FDA or Israels Ministry of Health (MOH) Pharmaceutical Administration as the acceptable standard.

I'm thinking about Johnson and Johnson's one shot vaccine.

Ireland: "Hello ,J&J, we want our own deal"

J&J:"Cool - the price is $x per unit"

Ireland:"We will take 5,000,000"

J&J:"Brilliant, we will send you all our data once trials are complete so you can review and approve. Just to let you know, the EMA have been conducting a rolling review, but since you are going on your own, your MHRA will need to start from scratch"

Ireland:"Thats fine. So as soon as we review we will have the doses"

J&J:"Well we are ramping up production, but once we fill all our existing commitments you will be top of the list"

Ireland:"So February then"

J&J:"Yes, February, 2022"

Ireland:"Sh$t, F*ck"

Ireland:"Hello, EU Commission, we want back in"

EU: "Seen as you saw fit to go on your own, all your doses have been redistributed to the rest of the EU, but we will be happy to facilitate you in the next round of orders"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ireland: "Hello ,J&J, we want our own deal"
    "Hello Moderna, Ireland here."
    "Hello Iceland."
    "Ireland."
    "Sure, whatever."
    "We'd like to buy some vaccines please."
    "Excellent. Minimum order is 10 million."
    "Ehhhh. Can we get 800,000?"
    "A month?"
    "No. A year."
    **muffled laughter** as they drop the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

UK won't get supply of Moderna until April I think. The Pfizer and Moderna will vaccinate most of our vulnerable sectors. The Oxford/AZ will do the wider pop IWT. Whether they go with a 12 week gap may depend on how much control has been brought of the virus spread at that time.
    I know I put it up elsewhere but this video from Dr. John Campbell is sobering and starts with a specific analysis of the ROI.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toojPNAPsbs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0108/1188442-coronavirus-vaccine/

More Pfizer vaccines from q2. Hopefully closer to early April than late July....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They said that on wednesday when giving vaccine numbers upto midnight tuesday I believe. So 4 days to hit the target.
    That's five days to do 20,000; Weds - Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »
    I take your point here but this is not a case of just getting enough laptops. It quite likely requires building a new IT support system. That takes time.

Yes but they had 9 months in all fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Millypain

funnydoggy wrote: »
    By the time we're recovered we'll have herd immunity in the country :pac:
    With a similar death toll to the Great Famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes but they had 9 months in all fairness
    Not for this, we've only working on it since September and seriously planning for a couple of weeks. Remember the forms they are using in care homes have 55 pieces of data on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Millypain wrote: »

Stop being silly. This virus has about a 1% mortality. 1% of the pop is 35,000 people, if you want a doomsday prediction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not for this, we've only working on it since September and seriously planning for a couple of weeks. Remember the forms they are using in care homes have 55 pieces of data on them.
    Interesting - what are all the details they need to capture on these forms and is this a standard consent form or specific for the circumstances of a caring home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Millypain wrote: »

Oh save me, not another shroud waver

Water John wrote: »
    Stop being silly. This virus has about a 1% mortality. 1% of the pop is 35,000 people, if you want a doomsday prediction.

1% is about 49,000, but mortality is about 0.65%, so about 31,000, and we reach herd immunity at about 70%, so 22,000

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Water John wrote: »
    UK won't get supply of Moderna until April I think. The Pfizer and Moderna will vaccinate most of our vulnerable sectors. The Oxford/AZ will do the wider pop IWT. Whether they go with a 12 week gap may depend on how much control has been brought of the virus spread at that time.
    I know I put it up elsewhere but this video from Dr. John Campbell is sobering and starts with a specific analysis of the ROI.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toojPNAPsbs

An Dochtúir Seán Caimbéal traces over our amazing climbing wall of death curve with his magic marker in "Southern Ireland", quotes a few hospital bed figures, and then moves over "to the United Kingdom, the other part of the British Isles".

He is right about it being bad, although the death toll will hopefully be somewhat less than the first wave of 1700 or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

seamus wrote: »
    That's five days to do 20,000; Weds - Sun.

If you ask them how they will meet their target

Magic.gif

I really dont see them meeting their targets, Currently saying supply but I believe it will be one excuse of many on the way.

ixoy wrote: »
    Interesting - what are all the details they need to capture on these forms and is this a standard consent form or specific for the circumstances of a caring home?
    That I don't know. I've just heard them talk about it. Seems to be quite a bit around consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

An Dochtúir Seán Caimbéal traces over our amazing climbing wall of death curve with his magic marker in "Southern Ireland", quotes a few hospital bed figures, and then moves over "to the United Kingdom, the other part of the British Isles".

He is right about it being bad, although the death toll will hopefully be somewhat less than the first wave of 1700 or so...

I would rather get Covid than listen to him

I would rather get Covid than listen to him
    I skimmed through what he had to say about us, at double speed and with subtitles. It was basically a few graphs and a collection of quotes from the usual suspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

That AZ news is massive. Surprised the Irish or other European media didn’t pick up what the Belgian media reported yesterday about the data being received.
    Anyway, more positives.

RTE reporting that Europe's medicines regulator has said it expects drug maker AstraZeneca to apply for approval of its Covid-19 vaccine next week.

Even more good news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ya it was extraordinarily patronising. "Surprisingly I'm going to talk about Southern Ireland" One step away from calling us Eire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Around what date do people this we will be vaccinating more people in a day than people contracting the virus in a day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ya it was extraordinarily patronising. "Surprisingly I'm going to talk about Southern Ireland" One step away from calling us Eire

You mean you don't hang off every word from Nurse John Campbell. Just be careful he has a bit of a cult following on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

Apologies if this is a silly question but not sure how all this will work...I'm from the North and still registered with the same doctor there since I was born. I live in ROI now. I think I will be offered the vaccine in NI first and if so will get it there. How will this all work when they are making potential registers or lists of people who have been vaccinated in ireland? If I turn down the vaccine here and tell them I have received it in NI already will they just put me down as saying I've already received it? I'm sure theres healthcare workers who cross the border who will have a similar situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

100% uptake so far in care homes - fantastic. Downside seems to be ongoing IT issues.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0108/1188486-vaccine-ireland/

Total anecdotal observation but I work in healthcare and from the staff I know at a few hospitals there's pretty much 100% takeup among those offered the vaccine so far. I'm sure there's a few refuseniks but the fact I'd need to dig to find them is encouraging. Especially when you see the reports of the frightening number of healthcare staff in other countries who say they'll not be taking the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Around what date do people this we will be vaccinating more people in a day than people contracting the virus in a day?

Within 2 weeks if, as projected, the peak of this is the 13th of January. (unless that date has been discredited)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would have thought they would have anticipated that before September to be fair .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I would have thought they would have anticipated that before September to be fair .

You don't give advanced consent for an undetermined vaccine that hasn't been approved yet, it doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Forgive me if this has been covered, but why is the rollout not being prioritised in the areas with the highest recent case numbers per capita? Places like Monaghan and Louth are disasters right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Total anecdotal observation but I work in healthcare and from the staff I know at a few hospitals there's pretty much 100% takeup among those offered the vaccine so far. I'm sure there's a few refuseniks but the fact I'd need to dig to find them is encouraging. Especially when you see the reports of the frightening number of healthcare staff in other countries who say they'll not be taking the vaccine.

That's great. We all see how many hcw get this virus and the risk of transmission in a health care setting is sufficiently high that this is great news.

We don't yet know the effect on transmission from the vaccine but it can be assume that it will have some effect.

As quiet a few in hospital are getting it in hospital anything to help break the spread in hospital is a very good thing and will be a massive relief to the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

1% is about 49,000, but mortality is about 0.65%, so about 31,000, and we reach herd immunity at about 70%, so 22,000

What if everyone just does what they want like many propose. Pubs open etc. Medical care won't be available. You could expect 2x-4x deaths. 100k is not an outlandish estimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement