Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Forgive me if this has been covered, but why is the rollout not being prioritised in the areas with the highest recent case numbers per capita? Places like Monaghan and Louth are disasters right now.

Hospitals are #1 priority right now, particularly critical care, ED and ID, regardless of where they are.

If a patient needs an ICU bed, they'll be sent to whatever county has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Not strictly vaccine related, but shocking nonetheless. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55577426

More evidence that there are no limits to how low some people can stoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

ShyMets wrote: »
    You mean you don't hang off every word from Nurse John Campbell. Just be careful he has a bit of a cult following on this forum

What is wrong with you? I assume you know he is not a nurse so you are trying to use the description as an insult? do you not value nurses or what? Why call him a nurse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Forgive me if this has been covered, but why is the rollout not being prioritised in the areas with the highest recent case numbers per capita? Places like Monaghan and Louth are disasters right now.

I would presume it's politics as too why it seemed like Cork got priority over other hospital regions ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Do people seriously think Ireland would be capable of negotiating their own vaccine deal?

Make no mistake about it, at this moment in time we are blessed to be part of the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

El Sueño wrote: »
    Do people seriously think Ireland would be capable of negotiating their own vaccine deal?

Make no mistake about it, at this moment in time we are blessed to be part of the EU.

I'd go further and say "At all moments in time."

Ireland: "Hello ,J&J, we want our own deal"

J&J:"Cool - the price is $x per unit"

Ireland:"We will take 5,000,000"

J&J:"Brilliant, we will send you all our data once trials are complete so you can review and approve. Just to let you know, the EMA have been conducting a rolling review, but since you are going on your own, your MHRA will need to start from scratch"

Ireland:"Thats fine. So as soon as we review we will have the doses"

J&J:"Well we are ramping up production, but once we fill all our existing commitments you will be top of the list"

Ireland:"So February then"

J&J:"Yes, February, 2022"

Ireland:"Sh$t, F*ck"

Ireland:"Hello, EU Commission, we want back in"

EU: "Seen as you saw fit to go on your own, all your doses have been redistributed to the rest of the EU, but we will be happy to facilitate you in the next round of orders"

Seem to be completely ignoring the fact the poster is specifying using other countries approval and then approving under an emergency use thing.

Also does the selling company care about the buying countries MHRA? Edit:meaning as in how it's approved?

Too late now for any of this but back in November or December these things could have been looked at

But I suppose the goal for a lot of posters here seems to be defensive. To those posters, how did Israel do what it's done? As some of the posting seems to indicate what they have done is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Sconsey wrote: »
    What is wrong with you? I assume you know he is not a nurse so you are trying to use the description as an insult? do you not value nurses or what? Why call him a nurse?

I absolutely value nurses and the vital service they provide. My comment was tongue in cheek. His background is in nursing and as far as I am aware he is not a medical Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

El Sueño wrote: »

Judging by the snail's pace of our rollout in comparison to other EU countries, I can't see how people would have any faith in us securing our own vaccine deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Gael23 wrote: »

All pie in the sky stuff, this will be a long drawn out affair.

niallo27 wrote: »

Hopefully not, there is serious political pressure on them now, if the EU countries have serious internal restrictions in a couple of months time when most of the 1st world doesn't either due to vaccination or strict external travel restrictions it's going to look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

niallo27 wrote: »

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Gael23 wrote: »
    How so?

Nothing against your post or you, just the feeling already, most of Europe are experiencing difficulties even the Germans who are 10 times as efficient as us in doing anything. I hope I am wrong but I doubt I will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Amirani wrote: »
    Hospitals are #1 priority right now, particularly critical care, ED and ID, regardless of where they are.

If a patient needs an ICU bed, they'll be sent to whatever county has them.
    I believe from private HSE sources that nursing homes are the priority right now, but either way there are hospitals or day-hospitals, 3 to be precise, in Louth and Monaghan. Limerick also experiencing some of the highest rates. There is a strong rationale to prioritize the worst-affected areas in advance of hospitals being overwhelmed, at least on a week-to-week or rolling 14-day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

JMNolan wrote: »
    I agree that this extrapolation is wrong but what precisely is the governments plan to scale up vaccinations? Is it mass vaccination centers? GPs? Pharmacists? Where is the plan on the web?
    Why on earth would they worry about getting your buy in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

JMNolan wrote: »
    I agree that this extrapolation is wrong but what precisely is the governments plan to scale up vaccinations? Is it mass vaccination centers? GPs? Pharmacists? Where is the plan on the web?

All 3 are in the plan. Thr plan document has been posted in this thread a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I believe from private HSE sources that nursing homes are the priority right now, but either way there are hospitals or day-hospitals, 3 to be precise, in Louth and Monaghan. Limerick also experiencing some of the highest rates. There is a strong rationale to prioritize the worst-affected areas in advance of hospitals being overwhelmed, at least on a week-to-week or rolling 14-day basis.
    The original numbers announced for this week were 17k and 3k for hospitals. With Moderna very close you'd expect that quota to rise in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Apologies if this is a silly question but not sure how all this will work...I'm from the North and still registered with the same doctor there since I was born. I live in ROI now. I think I will be offered the vaccine in NI first and if so will get it there. How will this all work when they are making potential registers or lists of people who have been vaccinated in ireland? If I turn down the vaccine here and tell them I have received it in NI already will they just put me down as saying I've already received it? I'm sure theres healthcare workers who cross the border who will have a similar situation

I'm sure a letter from your Dr in NI would suffice for any such situation or you could always get it in both jurisdictions double protection for you :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Has anyone got information on the full vaccination process for an individual here currently? What's the administrative overhead, how long, end to end, does it take to administer one dose, how much can you scale : e.g. can 1 person do paperwork and 5 administer a doses or is it a 1:2 ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you ask them how they will meet their target

Magic.gif

I really dont see them meeting their targets, Currently saying supply but I believe it will be one excuse of many on the way.

I heard they are going to meet their targets by literally stabbing old people in the arm and pumping some big pharma concoction into their blood!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

ShyMets wrote: »
    I absolutely value nurses and the vital service they provide. My comment was tongue in cheek. His background is in nursing and as far as I am aware he is not a medical Doctor.
    Correct. He apparently has a PhD on learning resources for nurses, but I cannot actually find any reference to it online, only to other people with the same name. There is no information on where he attained his PhD, but I would guess it is legit.

Edit: Here is his dissertation, awarded in 2013 from the University of Bolton (a former technical college near Manchester, England).
    https://capitadiscovery.co.uk/bolton-ac/items/172598?query=Teaching+bioscience+in+national+and+international+nurse+education&resultsUri=items%3Ftarget%3Dcatalogue%26query%3DTeaching%2Bbioscience%2Bin%2Bnational%2Band%2Binternational%2Bnurse%2Beducation&target=catalogue

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/millions-of-covid-19-vaccine-doses-to-be-available-monthly-in-second-half-of-year-1.4453250

So the strategy is confirmed as: Use all 40,000 doses received each week, but keep 1 week's worth of supply as contingency. They're not holding back 2nd doses, but will use a future 40k to match this week's etc.

Whatever your private sources are saying, the priority was to vaccinate in ED, ID and Critical Care in the Acutes. That's essentially finished now, and now they have started on nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/millions-of-covid-19-vaccine-doses-to-be-available-monthly-in-second-half-of-year-1.4453250

So the strategy is confirmed as: Use all 40,000 doses received each week, but keep 1 week's worth of supply as contingency. They're not holding back 2nd doses, but will use a future 40k to match this week's etc.

Makes more sense than holding back a full second dose.

That way you can buffer for a week with problems (a ferry or plane cancellation or a corrupted dose in manufacturing or a cold chain fubar) but not delay the whole thing by too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Vaccine rollout not exactly going to plan Mallow promised vaccines but not getting them now until a further date

https://twitter.com/danscma/status/1347504177384198144?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Whatever your private sources are saying, the priority was to vaccinate in ED, ID and Critical Care in the Acutes. That's essentially finished now, and now they have started on nursing homes.

You are both right. The priority right now. It was not the priority last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The first priority in the the cabinet-approved plan is, I quote, "Adults aged ≥65 years who are residents of long-term care facilities. Consider offering vaccination to all residents and staff on site."

This goes along with what I've been told by the CNMs privately. Do you have a source for what you've said? Per the plan, ED/ICUs was priority 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

darem93 wrote: »
    I can't see how people would have any faith in us securing our own vaccine deal.

Donnelly would probably buy some magic beans instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Met a pal who works in Vincent’s hospital yesterday (non medical) he was delighted he got his first jab a couple of days ago but said that a couple of fellas on his team didn’t take it. One said you don’t know what’s in it and he replied do you know what was in your BCG jab or any of the medicines a doctor prescribed to you ever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement