Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Correct. He apparently has a PhD on learning resources for nurses, but I cannot actually find any reference to it online, only to other people with the same name. There is no information on where he attained his PhD, but I would guess it is legit.

Edit: Here is his dissertation, awarded in 2013 from the University of Bolton (a former technical college near Manchester, England).
    https://capitadiscovery.co.uk/bolton-ac/items/172598?query=Teaching+bioscience+in+national+and+international+nurse+education&resultsUri=items%3Ftarget%3Dcatalogue%26query%3DTeaching%2Bbioscience%2Bin%2Bnational%2Band%2Binternational%2Bnurse%2Beducation&target=catalogue

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dr-john-campbell-5256223b

The University of Bolton
    Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)Teaching bioscience in national and international nurse education.
    2011 - 2013

Lancaster University
    MScHealth Science
    1996 - 1998

Health Science
    Lancaster University
    Post Graduate Certificate in PharmacologyPharmacologyGood
    1995 - 1997

The Open University
    BScBiology and health2.1
    1986 - 1991

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The first priority in the the cabinet-approved plan is, I quote, "Adults aged ≥65 years who are residents of long-term care facilities. Consider offering vaccination to all residents and staff on site."

This goes along with what I've been told by the CNMs privately. Do you have a source for what you've said? Per the plan, ED/ICUs was priority 2.

That changed. As I said, all the medical specialties I listed have been vaccinated. That happened ahead of nursing home roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Amirani wrote: »
    That changed. As I said, all the medical specialties I listed have been vaccinated. That happened ahead of nursing home roll out.
    And why and on what official authority or scientific evidence was this changed?

There are community and HSE nursing home medical staff aged in their mid-60s who still won't receive the dose until next week, and in areas with the highest prevalence of covid in Ireland.

Does that sound smart or like a good story of science-backed prioritisation in a vaccination plan?

There are community and HSE nursing home medical staff aged in their mid-60s who still won't receive the dose until next week, and in areas with the highest prevalence of covid in Ireland.

Does that sound smart or like a good story of science-backed prioritisation in a vaccination plan?

NIAC and the vaccine task force.

I think maintaining full ICU capacity is entirely sensible given our current predicament.

Amirani wrote: »
    NIAC and the vaccine task force.

I think maintaining full ICU capacity is entirely sensible given our current predicament.
    This is also done through the use of proper PPE, something acute hospitals are inherently better equipped and stocked to do.

I don't think this reply adds up. The current (public) guidelines from NIAC on 23rd December show the same prioritisation as the cabinet-approved plan. Under whose statutory authority were these changes made?

The point of the vaccine is to prevent patients and staff ending up in ICU, not a way to "improve capacity".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I believe it happened due to logistics.

They wanted to start the roll out in hospitals due to the easy availability of ultra cold freezers.

They wanted to start the roll out in hospitals due to the easy availability of ultra cold freezers.

Yep, this was the main driver.

On a separate note, bulletin here confirming use of 6th dose from vials from NIAC.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/covid19vaccineinfo4hps/bulletin1.pdf

I hear you, though in their hub-and-spoke model in the plan I didn't see an emphasis on vaccinating the so-called hubs first. From a public health perspective, when border counties are suffering from an extraordinarily-high prevalence (heading to 2% of the population with the peak yet to come), a model like this being implemented almost "on the hoof" with a lack of transparency is very alarming in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

HSE seem finally to have come to the conclusion they can't cope alone.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40203350.html

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

salmocab wrote: »
    Met a pal who works in Vincent’s hospital yesterday (non medical) he was delighted he got his first jab a couple of days ago but said that a couple of fellas on his team didn’t take it. One said you don’t know what’s in it and he replied do you know what was in your BCG jab or any of the medicines a doctor prescribed to you ever?

Out the door lads. Good luck. Should be a job requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Minister was quoted as saying recently that "Based on Pfizer we will have about 360,000 doses in Q1 and Moderna is 110,000, so that's 470,000 doses."

But we're being told we're getting about 40,000 Pfizer doses a week which is about 500,000 doses in Q1. If we're only getting 360,000, that means 27-30,000 a month.

Why is there such a significant difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Marhay70 wrote: »

Of course the examiner is blissfully ignoring that it was never the intention to stick to just current capacities and facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's in the plan. Both Spain and Britain are too and I imagine other countries are as well.

From the plan

Currently a number of options are being progressed to support the scaling up of workforce for the programme.

This includes the following:
    > Backfill of nurses in acute settings (agency or recruitment)
    > Rehiring of recently retired medical and nursing staff
    > Asking staff to work additional hours (either overtime or bringing part time workers back fulltime)
    > Ambulance service paramedics
    > Leveraging of other State and voluntary service providers
    > Contracted private vaccination services
    > Additional skilled ICT and support staff (agency or recruitment)
    > Authorising and training other appropriate professions.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Of course the examiner is blissfully ignoring that it was never the intention to stick to current to just current capacities and facilities.

There's been a lot of criticism on this thread of the HSE not calling in the military, now they have. I haven't seen it suggested in any of the media up until now.

There's been a lot of criticism on this thread of the HSE not calling in the military, now they have. I haven't seen it suggested in any of the media up until now.
    There's also been a lot of not reading pertinent documents as well!

is_that_so wrote: »
    The HSE don't seem to read them either, or else change them without cabinet approval or even public communiqués.

Why can't you just take the news for what it is instead of being critical and sarcastic.

The HSE don't seem to read them either, or else change them without cabinet approval or even public communiqués.
    It's in the implementation document in black and white.

"As more doses of vaccines become available during 2021, there will be a need to expand the pool of skilled workforce to administer vaccines and to deliver
    the programme."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's in the implementation document in black and white.

"As more doses of vaccines become available during 2021, there will be a need to expand the pool of skilled workforce to administer vaccines and to deliver
    the programme."

He is criticising that hospital staff got vaccinated before nursing home staff and residents which was the priority document.

Why can't you just take the news for what it is instead of being critical and sarcastic.
    There's no sarcasm at work here. The information is already available to you. I have read the COVID-19 Vaccine Implementation Plan and there's nothing new in that Examiner story.

• Advertisement

He is criticising that hospital staff got vaccinated before nursing home staff and residents which was the priority document.
    Yeah, but the hospitals move of last week was NIAC advice - in a sort of protocol testing phase and to have medical support at hand.

There's no sarcasm at work here. The information is already available to you. I have read the COVID-19 Vaccine Implementation Plan and there's nothing new in that Examiner story.

It doesn't mention the military, just a vague reference to "levering other resources of the state" If your interpretation of that was the military, you could have pointed that out, but no, you have to be condescending.

It doesn't mention the military, just a vague reference to "levering other resources of the state" If your interpretation of that was the military, you could have pointed that out, but no, you have to be condescending.
    That to me means anyone who might have the skills, including the Army. My issue here is with media "exclusively revealing" what's already in the public domain. There is a plan - it's not obvious to many of us just yet as it has not been activated in its entirety. Stories like this are a lazy swing at the HSE, IMO because we need to blame them for the lack of supply and the inevitable slow rate of vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

It'll be just my luck to be given the jab by some sergeant from Athlone.

"This might hurt a bit..."

...but you'll take it like a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

josip wrote: »
    It'll be just my luck to be given the jab by some sergeant from Athlone.

"This might hurt a bit..."

...but you'll take it like a man.

Sgnt. Seamus Pile i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Speeding up already. Cue the complaints.

That to me means anyone who might have the skills, including the Army. My issue here is with media "exclusively revealing" what's already in the public domain. There is a plan - it's not obvious to many of us just yet as it has not been activated in its entirety. Stories like this are a lazy swing at the HSE, IMO because we need to blame them for the lack of supply and the inevitable slow rate of vaccination.

Ok, so it was your interpretation, it wasn't mine, we'll leave it at that.

nommm wrote: »

So they have knocked off a few more days am i right? nearly a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

nommm wrote: »

Looks like supply lines have been secured and confirmed then as expected and all doses start to go into circulation with just one weeks supply held in reserve just incase. Good to see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement