Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

lbj666 wrote: »
    So they have knocked off a few more days am i right? nearly a week?

If they're taking from the reserve they're basically just moving the week 4 homes forward to week 3, so their obviously confident of both the early results and a continued supply line.

Or could moderna be getting launched the 25th and they want to move onto groups 3 and 4 day 1?

Definitely good news either way.

My 82 and 76 year old aunts living in the uk received their first vaccine doses today and yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Some more data on the UK variant of concern in regards to convalescent serum (and vaccines as proxy):

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.06.20248960v1.full.pdf+html

TL;DR - no change from wild type to note.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So, back of beer mat maths time.

Nursing homes 1st dose by 24th of Jan means that the second dose should be finished in or around the 15th of February. Which puts us 2 weeks ahead of schedule, by then we'll have the moderna vaccine and possibly the astra one, which will all go through the over 70s and 60s......

I think that's a pretty decent situation.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

lbj666 wrote: »
    Of course the examiner is blissfully ignoring that it was never the intention to stick to just current capacities and facilities.

I've got a plan to loose 10kilo and build up my muscles by March, see I've written it down in my diary, I haven't looked at logistics of ordering weights, made a diet plan, and I know that shipping will delay any exercise equipment which will make my deadline hard to achieve but hey I have a plan because I have scrawled a line in the diary 🀔

There is a big difference between writing a line of two in a policy document and actually engaging with the people you mention in the policy document. The examiner story states they have started to actually engage in talks with the military.
    It's even more different to actually start training these people.

We should be skeptical about delivery of these types of documents, only this week we had the messing around in relation to schools, now I am sure in one of the policy documents it's written to engage in education stakeholders, and the minister said she did, problem is AFAIK major unions have stated she only met them once.

Basically having lines in a policy document isn't a plan for anything of this scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Speeding up already. Cue the complaints.

The two are pretty likely to be linked you know, awareness of intense scrutiny and complaints about slow start raise the pressure to deliver on the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So, back of beer mat maths time.

Nursing homes 1st dose by 24th of Jan means that the second dose should be finished in or around the 15th of February. Which puts us 2 weeks ahead of schedule, by then we'll have the moderna vaccine and possibly the astra one, which will all go through the over 70s and 60s......

I think that's a pretty decent situation.....

My parents are both in their mid 60's, and ill be honest, that will lift a massive weight off my shoulders.

The sooner they get a jab the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The two are pretty likely to be linked you know, awareness of intense scrutiny and complaints about slow start raise the pressure to deliver on the government.
    More likely to be about supply chain and the fairly imminent 10K a week from Moderna.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Vaccination figure today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

nommm wrote: »

This is great to see, this should have a fairly big impact on mortality rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Speeding up already. Cue the complaints.
    Nope. Good news. Will you be less scathing of people who questioned the planned pace yesterday now that the HSE have changed it a day later? Perhaps the questioning wasn't as ridiculous as you tried to make out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

statesaver wrote: »
    Vaccination figure today ?
    Released weekly in the weekly press briefing from the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

IT wrote:
    A small number of cases of the South African variant of the Covid-19 virus have been detected in Ireland. Chief medical officer Tony Holohan confirmed that the new variant had been detected this evening. The news comes as a further 20 deaths of Covid-19 patients were reported by the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet). This brings to 2,327 the total number of deaths in the State since the pandemic began.A further 8,248 confirmed cases of the disease have also been reported, bringing to 135,884 the total number of cases in the Republic. Dr Holohan said: “Three cases of a new variant of COVID-19 recently identified in South Africa have been confirmed in Ireland today by whole genome sequencing. All of the cases identified are directly associated with recent travel from South Africa,” Dr Holohan said in a statement this evening.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-south-african-strain-detected-for-first-time-in-ireland-1.4453160

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Released weekly in the weekly press briefing from the HSE.

Thanks.

I forgot it's weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

AdamD wrote: »
    Nope. Good news. Will you be less scathing of people who questioned the planned pace yesterday now that the HSE have changed it a day later? Perhaps the questioning wasn't as ridiculous as you tried to make out
    As if it wasn't planned to be like this :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I got the vaccine today. Feeling relieved with a touch of a sore arm.

The process was well organised, 15 min wait time after in case of reaction.

They have been flying through vaccinations in hospitals this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

is_that_so wrote: »
    That to me means anyone who might have the skills, including the Army. My issue here is with media "exclusively revealing" what's already in the public domain. There is a plan - it's not obvious to many of us just yet as it has not been activated in its entirety. Stories like this are a lazy swing at the HSE, IMO because we need to blame them for the lack of supply and the inevitable slow rate of vaccination.

It is a reasonable assumption especially as they assisted back in April and May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

An Dochtúir Seán Caimbéal traces over our amazing climbing wall of death curve with his magic marker in "Southern Ireland", quotes a few hospital bed figures, and then moves over "to the United Kingdom, the other part of the British Isles".

Did John Campbell really phrase it like that?

Disappointing if so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

statesaver wrote: »
    Thanks.

I forgot it's weekly.

Isn't it a pity they wouldn't do the same with the actual positive cases,

They don't mind drilling tme bad news into us on a daily basis, but heaven forbid they gave us something to be happy about ever day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Did John Campbell really phrase it like that?

Disappointing if so

He did, but wouldn't let it discredit the message. Find he's very practical, he's using data from good sources and is basically a good lecturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Water John wrote: »
    He did, but wouldn't let it discredit the message. Find he's very practical, he's using data from good sources and is basically a good lecturer.

He speaks clearly. He makes sense. He quotes his sources and does not make stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

I think I heard Luke O’Neill say that we need a take up of 70-80 % of the population. At that stage, will there still be restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Jimi H wrote: »
    I think I heard Luke O’Neill say that we need a take up of 70-80 % of the population. At that stage, will there still be restrictions?

If we get that uptake of good vaccines probably not.

Four million Australians to be vaccinated for coronavirus by end of March

Even Australia are making a show of us

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-vaccine-update-four-million-australians-by-end-march-scott-morrison/45f2fdba-66ca-4ea5-bea9-b0356c0b9e4c

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Australia have no vaccines administered thus far, so no, they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Amirani wrote: »

They are not even starting for another 5 weeks yet apparently they are making a show of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Amirani wrote: »
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    They are not even starting for another 5 weeks yet apparently they are making a show of us.

And will we have 4 Million vaccinated by the end of March?

Not a fcuking chance. Best case scenario is 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

And will we have 4 Million vaccinated by the end of March?

Not a fcuking chance. Best case scenario is 5%

Australia is not in the EU.

Countries that are in the EU, that are vaccinating quickly are ones that are ignoring EU agreements.

You have to be Northern Europe continentals to get away with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

I got the vaccine today. Feeling relieved with a touch of a sore arm.

The process was well organised, 15 min wait time after in case of reaction.

They have been flying through vaccinations in hospitals this week.

Have you heard of anyone having any bad reaction?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement