Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ShineOn7 wrote: »

“Even Australia” makes it sound like they are a backwater 3rd world country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

fm wrote: »
    Have you heard of anyone having any bad reaction?

Some HSE workers on Reddit Ireland are saying just headaches and/or numb arms for a day or two

Both are completely normal for a vaccine

The joy from HSE workers both here and on Reddit Ireland when they get vaccinated is palpable and great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

And will we have 4 Million vaccinated by the end of March?

Not a fcuking chance. Best case scenario is 5%

Come back to us in March and we'll see whether Australia or Ireland have a greater % vaccinated. I know who my money is on, seeing as we have actually started!

On the news this evening they showed someone being vaccinated and there was a second medical person present to confirm the dose in the syringe. I have seen this before for live vaccines as it can be very dangerous if you administer too much, but I wonder if it is necessary for this type of vaccine.

They seem to be applying a dangerous drug protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Come back to us in March and we'll see whether Australia or Ireland have a greater % vaccinated. I know who my money is on, seeing as we have actually started!

It seems if any random country states they will vaccinate a certain amount by a certain date, that's taken as gospel. If the HSE state we'll vaccinate ~20k by weekend, it's impossible.

It's similar when a vaccine gets approved, it's all about the millions of doses they've have ordered, they never mention how many are due to be delivered and by when. Those details or delays come after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

On the news this evening they showed someone being vaccinated and there was a second medical person present to confirm the dose in the syringe. I have seen this before for live vaccines as it can be very dangerous if you administer too much, but I wonder if it is necessary for this type of vaccine.

I think they're more worried trying to get the maximum amount of doses possible without wastage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Germany put a number of people into icu with an overdose.

Perhaps its something we do with conditional (as opposed to full approval).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Stark wrote: »
    I think they're more worried trying to get the maximum amount of doses possible without wastage.

Yes. Get 6 doses from a vial. Numbers have to be checked and cross checked and logged in different records etc. Minimal wastage is important.

Germany put a number of people into icu with an overdose.

Perhaps its something we do with conditional (as opposed to full approval).

I didn't think anyone ended up in ICU, a few were admitted to hospital for observation. The issue there was they drew the full vial as the dose, a complete cock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I know of staff working in payroll and other nurses on maternity leave getting their vaccine over the last couple of days. Looks like they are being very comprehensive in the hospital roll out which is great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

AdamD wrote: »
    Nope. Good news. Will you be less scathing of people who questioned the planned pace yesterday now that the HSE have changed it a day later? Perhaps the questioning wasn't as ridiculous as you tried to make out

Do you even know what a plan is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nah. Anyone I've talked to anyway has just said a sore arm. Now it is a slightly sorer arm than other vaccines they've had, but that isn't a big deal. One had a headache, but that passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And will we have 4 Million vaccinated by the end of March?

Not a fcuking chance. Best case scenario is 5%

Are you really comparing the numbers directly? Not accounting for the comparative population differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

A colleague of mine heard of someone feeling faint afterward but said she had a history of vertigo and brought her medication with her in case.

The nurse who gave me the jab advised me to keep well hydrated afterwards as some have said they feel a bit light headed or whatever.

In the waiting room afterwards there was a number of chairs spread out, a nurse in the room at all times, a bed in the corner in case anyone needed to lie down, plenty of unopened water bottles, oxygen tank as well as other medical equipment to treat adverse reactions quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Nah. Anyone I've talked to anyway has just said a sore arm. Now it is a slightly sorer arm than other vaccines they've had, but that isn't a big deal. One had a headache, but that passed.

Headache, sore arm, arse ache.... give me the vaccine anyday anytime.....

GreeBo wrote: »
    Are you really comparing the numbers directly? Not accounting for the comparative population differences?

If you want to get into semantics:

Australia has a population of 25 million, but it's very, very spread out

Australia is massive, you can fit the land mass of Europe into it one and a half times. There are vast masses of land of nothingness in many parts of it, central Oz especially

Point being; In Q1 and Q2 they only need to get the main cities vaccinated where there have been spikes. The likes of Melbourne, Sydney etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

That sore arm for the Pfizer vacine is actually the vacine getting to work, not just the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Micky 32 wrote: »

They can kick me in the balls if it means I could get the vaccine.

They can kick me in the balls if it means I could get the vaccine.

I just winced a little and then thought; "I'd allow it too" ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jimi H wrote: »
    I think I heard Luke O’Neill say that we need a take up of 70-80 % of the population. At that stage, will there still be restrictions?
    No. Why would there be? There may be a very small minority who cannot (for whatever reason) take the vaccine, but that will not be enough of a justification for restrictions of any sort. Mass rollout and a critical mass immunised is the end goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Micky 32 wrote: »

I have had an anaphylactic shock . I will be in the queue armed with Epipens and no one will stop me !

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Prob silly question but do we have enough syringes to adminster all the vacinnes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See John Campbell talking about no needle vaccination, used a lot to get rid of smallpox. There is tech if we want to use it.
    They shot for Pfizer is only 0.3ml.

A colleague of mine heard of someone feeling faint afterward but said she had a history of vertigo and brought her medication with her in case.

The nurse who gave me the jab advised me to keep well hydrated afterwards as some have said they feel a bit light headed or whatever.

In the waiting room afterwards there was a number of chairs spread out, a nurse in the room at all times, a bed in the corner in case anyone needed to lie down, plenty of unopened water bottles, oxygen tank as well as other medical equipment to treat adverse reactions quickly.

Great to hear you got the jab Martina

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Water John wrote: »
    See John Campbell talking about no needle vaccination, used a lot to get rid of smallpox. There is tech if we want to use it.
    They shot for Pfizer is only 0.3ml.
    Interesting!

I'd assume another set of trials will need to be done for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

hmmm wrote: »
    I think it's going to be very hard to ask vaccinated people to keep their lives on hold, and realistically I think it's not going to happen. If you're vaccinated, I expect you're going to be more eager to do things like go on foreign holidays or eat in a restaurant.

So I think we're going to have a period of first and second-class citizens, and being low down on the list myself I've no real problem with that - that's life, and it shouldn't take too long until vaccines reach us all. It will also allow businesses to recover.

We're going to ask the vaccinated to not just throw caution to the wind and end up getting us all infected, and hopefully they can do this. Because that's the scenario where we have this "middle period" where we have lots of vaccinated acting as asymptomatic spreaders who maybe don't realise (or don't care), and that I think could be very dangerous.

The vaccinated can do what they want- being vulnerable and high risk and the rest can stay indoors? I think that’s a sure path to civil disobedience- I for one will not be restricting my movements once a fair share of the vulnerable are protected

• Registered Users Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it true that staff at St Vincents were sent an email telling them to self schedule their vaccinations?
    With the result that some catering staff got vaccinated some days before frontline doctors.
    I've been told the above by a friend who works at Vincents, but I don't fully believe it could have been organised like that?
    Does anyone here work in Vincents and can confirm/deny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

When are all healthcare workers to be vaccinated by? Have plans for this been announced?

Friend of mine works in a private imaging clinic in Dublin and 3 members of their team had Covid in last 2 weeks. This place only has about 25 staff including admins etc. The only update they have got is that only 2 employees in the country have been vaccinated so far that work for same company out of total of about 30 branches. So not a very fast roll out overall.

josip wrote: »
    Is it true that staff at St Vincents were sent an email telling them to self schedule their vaccinations?
    With the result that some catering staff got vaccinated some days before frontline doctors.
    I've been told the above by a friend who works at Vincents, but I don't fully believe it could have been organised like that?
    Does anyone here work in Vincents and can confirm/deny?

Catering staff face patients every day. And prepare their meals. Would hazard a guess that in most hospitals catering staff have more contacts than the average doctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

For the sake of public confidence in the vaccines they have to be administered absolutely correctly or the anti vaccine nutters will have a field day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement