Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    If you want to get into semantics:

Australia has a population of 25 million, but it's very, very spread out

Australia is massive, you can fit the land mass of Europe into it one and a half times. There are vast masses of land of nothingness in many parts of it, central Oz especially

Point being; In Q1 and Q2 they only need to get the main cities vaccinated where there have been spikes. The likes of Melbourne, Sydney etc

I'm not really sure what point you've tried to make here.

But okay, we'll accept that Australia are outperforming us with their 0 vaccines given and none planned for the next 5 weeks. Because most of their country is unpopulated or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

40,000 doses a week at the moment

10,000 doses of the moderna vaccine coming on stream in the next few weeks as per the tweet from Leo

A new deal with Pfizer for 300 million vaccines will see 75 million of them come on stream in Q2, which equates to 825,000 extra vaccines for Ireland, which mean about 63,000 extra doses a week on top of the other stuff.

Getting there but its been a bit of a slog and there has been a few false starts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Amirani wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what point you've tried to make here.

But okay, we'll accept that Australia are outperforming us with their 0 vaccines given and none planned for the next 5 weeks. Because most of their country is unpopulated or something.

I always questioned the frozen aspect of the Pfizer vaccine. We're a small Island, you can drive across it in hours. Easy to leave with a frozen vial in Dublin and arrive in cork with it just thawed! Are the logistics that hard? (excluding the initial central storage) in a small landmass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

fm wrote: »
    Have you heard of anyone having any bad reaction?

My son, a big healthy 26-year-old, was knocked about for a couple of days afterwards but he'll still be getting his booster and glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

polesheep wrote: »
    My son, a big healthy 26-year-old, was knocked about for a couple of days afterwards but he'll still be getting his booster and glad of it.

I've heard people can get different reactions, even with the flu jab (god forgive me for comparing it) I've also heard the second jab can have a worse reaction. Not sure on the truth of that. We'll always hear more of the side effects that those who have none.

But I'm glad for him, it has to be a massive relief for you and him. He's half way there (in a way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

On the news this evening they showed someone being vaccinated and there was a second medical person present to confirm the dose in the syringe. I have seen this before for live vaccines as it can be very dangerous if you administer too much, but I wonder if it is necessary for this type of vaccine.

They seem to be applying a dangerous drug protocol.

In the initial phase, the HSE teams are made up of 4, 5 or 6 people.

1x admin
    1x observer
    2, 3 or 4 vaccinators

A GP told me today that the BioNTech/ Pfizer vaccine is "difficult to handle", it was mentioned that even the holding/handling of it is significant.

I knew about the storage at -70 degrees, but this conversation suggested that there are other constraints in handling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I know a few guys in Tallaght hospital that got it, no issue what so ever.

One is in his mid 60's, has 30% function of his heart and said he felt absolutely perfect after the jab, just a slightly sore arm the following day. But you always get that with an injection.

Watching the late late last night, I've never been so jealous. Well done to all involved, I'm counting down the days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Someone linked to this page in this thread, it’s pretty cool, but I’m rather surprised that there are American states that have only delivered 20% of the vaccines available to them. So maybe the Irish HSE aren’t doing too badly after all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/?srnd=premium-europe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

smurfjed wrote: »
    Someone linked to this page in this thread, it’s pretty cool, but I’m rather surprised that there are American states that have only delivered 20% of the vaccines available to them. So maybe the Irish HSE aren’t doing too badly after all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/?srnd=premium-europe

In some states counties and states have different priorities and aren't listening to each other.

One New York County got fined for vaccinating the wrong people then decided to store the rest of their vaccine until either a new plan was drawn up to follow state guidance or the state said that they could follow their own priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Geuze wrote: »
    In the initial phase, the HSE teams are made up of 4, 5 or 6 people.

1x admin
    1x observer
    2, 3 or 4 vaccinators

A GP told me today that the BioNTech/ Pfizer vaccine is "difficult to handle", it was mentioned that even the holding/handling of it is significant.

I knew about the storage at -70 degrees, but this conversation suggested that there are other constraints in handling it.

There are a series of steps before use including:

1. Thawing vaccine.
    2. Gently mixing the vaccine after it has thawed.
    3. Diluting the vaccine safely to a certain level.
    4. Gently mixing the mix.
    5. Keeping at a certain temperature.
    6. Administering the vaccine with paperwork etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

There are a series of steps before use including:

1. Thawing vaccine.
    2. Gently mixing the vaccine after it has thawed.
    3. Diluting the vaccine safely to a certain level.
    4. Gently mixing the mix.
    5. Keeping at a certain temperature.
    6. Administering the vaccine with paperwork etc.
    Diluting the vaccine

Didn't know that , sounds very unscientific

Wesekn. wrote: »
    Diluting the vaccine

Didn't know that , sounds very unscientific

It’s hardly like having a blackcurrent miwadi. Dilution of pharma products immediately prior to administering the dose is common.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

The question is what happens if the S A variant is resistant to the vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

smurfjed wrote: »

A lot of places are caught up in their own bubble, which is being fed by the media poking medical people not involved with the rollout to comment, usually negatively. There's also a level of anxiety about and a strong desire for this whole thing to be over and that's driving views as well.

The supply issues have been talked about since Pfizer was approved. Martin, Donnelly, Varadkar and those in the HSE have repeatedly drawn attention to the limited stock for these next two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Just got mine this morning! Another hcw out of the way,so please God the rest of the population will move up the list soon.

Hitchens wrote: »

Back to test trace and isolate

What we should have been doing better

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Very interested to know this.

One of the promises of the mRNA platform was it should be easy to tweak the mRNA sequence as mutations arise. I don't know what that means for going through approvals processes again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The mRNA vaccines can be tweaked to suit it. Not likely but we're not screwed by any means.

Not an issue for Pfizer and Moderna are confident theirs will work.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-concern-over-variant-discovered-in-south-africa-but-pfizer-research-suggests-jab-still-effective-12182034

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's a massive relief. 50% increased transmissibility could mean R0 of > 1 even with harsh lockdowns so looks like vaccines are our last defence.

Stark wrote: »
    That's a massive relief. 50% increased transmissibility could mean R0 of > 1 even with harsh lockdowns so looks like vaccines are our last defence.

Vaccines and control measures

Virus will likely weaken

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I've heard people can get different reactions, even with the flu jab (god forgive me for comparing it) I've also heard the second jab can have a worse reaction. Not sure on the truth of that. We'll always hear more of the side effects that those who have none.

But I'm glad for him, it has to be a massive relief for you and him. He's half way there (in a way)

I think it's just the way he is. He had a massive negative reaction to the MMR when he was a child. Yet when he had himself tested last year and found that he had no antibodies he had the MMR again with no side effects whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I work within but not for the HSE, and yesterday evening was on site in a regional hospital working next to the vaccination clinic. They are positively horsing through the vaccines there. As others have said there's a secretarial team to check details and log you into the system, then several 2 person teams to prepare + administer the vaccine and ensure details and consent are correct. The only real bottleneck was the 15 minute wait afterwards, otherwise it was just a conveyor belt of injections.

No vaccines spare for me just yet....

I know a few guys in Tallaght hospital that got it, no issue what so ever.

One is in his mid 60's, has 30% function of his heart and said he felt absolutely perfect after the jab, just a slightly sore arm the following day. But you always get that with an injection.

Watching the late late last night, I've never been so jealous. Well done to all involved, I'm counting down the days now.

Very relieved to be vaccinated I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Stark wrote: »

Not necessarily. They could also stop entry into the country of people from these areas, or like other countries, carry out enforced quarantine e.g. put them in a hotel (at their expense) for 10 to 14 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I work within but not for the HSE, and yesterday evening was on site in a regional hospital working next to the vaccination clinic. They are positively horsing through the vaccines there. As others have said there's a secretarial team to check details and log you into the system, then several 2 person teams to prepare + administer the vaccine and ensure details and consent are correct. The only real bottleneck was the 15 minute wait afterwards, otherwise it was just a conveyor belt of injections.

Now this is good to hear on a cold Saturday morning.

This, of course, is all imaginary for some and what we're really doing is dragging our heels on the rollout!

That question hasn't arisen, so why worry about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Wesekn. wrote: »
    control measures

Virus will likely weaken

The second part of your post is most likely correct. We just don’t know when, could take a number of years.

However the vaccines will get us back to normal quicker until the virus does weaken. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement