Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Just heard on news talk there De gascun saying the vaccines won’t be as affective with the SA variant.
    Highly irresponsible from him in my opinion. Especially when Pfizer and moderna are extremely confident it’ll pose no problems!

Just heard on news talk there De gascun saying the vaccines won’t be as affective with the SA variant.
    Highly irresponsible from him in my opinion. Especially when Pfizer and moderna are extremely confident it’ll pose no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cork2021 wrote: »

He's worse than George Lee IMO. Always a negative nancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

Don't they have to be to be tweaked for the SA veiraint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The worse case scenario is that they aren’t effective but as the other experts and vaccine failure hopefulls on this thread point out it would be a few more weeks before we’d know for sure. So for him to say that with a glee of certainty and fact is totally wrong.

• Advertisement

Wesekn. wrote: »
    Don't they have to be to be tweaked for the SA veiraint

Not the plan as far as I'm aware because they're pretty confident it'll still work.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The worse case scenario is that they aren’t effective but as the other experts and vaccine failure hopefulls on this thread point out it would be a few more weeks before we’d know for sure. So for him to say that with a glee of certainty and fact is totally wrong.

People like him shouldn't be in the spotlight IMO. Put him back to work but he isn't a TV person, there are people in charge of that messaging.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    He's worse than George Lee IMO. Always a negative nancy!

I think Fergal Bowers sometimes not far behind. We have a new term. The vaccine has gone from not being a silver bullet to not being a golden bullet :rolleyes:

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I think Fergal Bowers sometimes not far behind. We have a new term. The vaccine has gone from not being a silver bullet to not being a golden bullet :rolleyes:

Oh ffs. Imagine what they'd have been like if the two current vaccines weren't over 90% effective.

Oh ffs. Imagine what they'd have been like if the two current vaccines weren't over 90% effective.

It’s been like this from the start! Obviously the situation in this country and globally isn’t good but it will get better ans we will get back to normal.
    What the likes of RTÉ, Virgin etc do is pump out the negative to keep people watching the likes of prime time, Claire Byrne the tonight show and the news bulletins. More often then not any push notifications that come from RTÉ especially are negative, the bad news sells!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

polesheep wrote: »
    My son, a big healthy 26-year-old, was knocked about for a couple of days afterwards but he'll still be getting his booster and glad of it.

Why in the name of jaysus are 26 year olds getting it when 66 year old nursing home nurses don't have it yet? It's ****ing infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Why in the name of jaysus are 26 year olds getting it when 66 year old nursing home nurses don't have it yet? It's ****ing infuriating.

Calm down. He works in a US hospital.

Calm down. He works in a US hospital.

Lot of reactionary comments lately eh

That question hasn't arisen, so why worry about it?
    What an incredible comment.

"Scientists have expressed concern that vaccines being rolled out may not be able to protect against the new variants, particularly the one that emerged in South Africa.

Simon Clarke, an associate professor in cellular microbiology at the University of Reading, said this week that while both variants had some new features in common, the one found in South Africa “has a number additional mutations” that included more extensive alterations to the spike protein."

Lot of reactionary comments lately eh
    Point is still the same, with non medical staff in St. Vincent's already having received their first dose.

Point is still the same, with non medical staff in St. Vincent's already having received their first dose.

Non medical staff such as caterers for example? They see tonnes of patients every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Priorities most vulnerable can't trump practicalities in every single circumstance.

Nursings homes is an entirely different rollout granted it should be at full speed now it's not , yes thats frustrating.

But to say a 26 yo in nurses shouldn't be jabbed in meantime while the facility is set up and the hospitals are tearing through it and also the possibility that said nurse could be out for 2 weeks during a hospital crisis if not. Please spare us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Making the most of his time in the spotlight imo. He knows well that once this is all over nobody will give a shiny ****e about what he has to say. The media are at fault aswell for facilitating these clowns

Non medical staff such as caterers for example? They see tonnes of patients every day.
    Non medical staff who are also over 65 and in frontline roles serving *exclusively* very vulnerable patients, rather than a cohort of patients as casual contacts?

lbj666 wrote: »
    Priorities most vulnerable can't trump practicalities in every single circumstance.

Nursings homes is an entirely different rollout granted it should be at full speed now it's not , yes thats frustrating.

But to say a 26 yo in nurses shouldn't be jabbed in meantime while the facility is set up and the hospitals are tearing through it and also the possibility that said nurse could be out for 2 weeks during a hospital crisis if not. Please spare us

You're damn right it's frustrating, every day that passes while that 66 year old nurse isn't vaccinated is beyond the pale when you see the HSE's rollout and what's been prioritised so far on Twitter.

• Advertisement

Non medical staff who are also over 65 and in frontline roles serving *exclusively* very vulnerable patients, rather than a cohort of patients as casual contacts?

That's fair enough, I'll give you that one but there must be a rational explanation behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A lot of people seem to think that health care systems just run off doctors and nurses alone, and everything else just takes care of itself.

Even if they do admit there's more to it than that, they'll just assume it's an army of clerical staff who spend their time doing nothing in an office away from the patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

Midlands Regional Hospital (Mullingar) are vaccinating staff in alphabetical order. My mother, not a nurse, is getting her first dose today.
    Very glad she's getting it to be honest.

A lot of people seem to think that health care systems just run off doctors and nurses alone, and everything else just takes care of itself.

Even if they do admit there's more to it than that, they'll just assume it's an army of clerical staff who spend their time doing nothing in an office away from the patients.
    I'd say the 66 year old cleaners, fitters, electricians and kitchen staff in a nursing home 5 days a week should equally all have been vaccinated by now too

Midlands Regional Hospital (Mullingar) are vaccinating staff in alphabetical order. My mother, not a nurse, is getting her first dose today.
    Very glad she's getting it to be honest.

Alphabetical order, Jesus wept. I hope and frankly pray there's a reason they're not using +60 years old as a separate criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Even if they're not at risk of getting infected on the job, getting infected in the community is going to leave the health service short staffed which we really can't afford right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

You're damn right it's frustrating, every day that passes while that 66 year old nurse isn't vaccinated is beyond the pale when you see the HSE's rollout and what's been prioritised so far on Twitter.

You've got to remember aswell the hospital rollout have far more scope to get done very fast and overtake nursing home rollout anyway. Given everyone is under the same roof. Nursing homes was always going to be more measured.
    There was no point them waiting while the nursing home rollout finally kicks into gear, just out of perceived fairness.

The whole rollout would end up constant tripping over itself if they got that granular about who ends up getting jabbed before someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Alphabetical order, Jesus wept. I hope and frankly pray there's a reason they're not using +60 years old as a separate criteria.

You're right. When vaccinating people in the same category they should make them play rock paper scissors to decide. FFS .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

STILL waiting on mine here, despite our frontline colleagues having been done a week ago and some of my direct colleagues having been called a few days ago. If its alphabetical order and not clinical necessity I'll be complaining bitterly.

• Advertisement

It’s been like this from the start! Obviously the situation in this country and globally isn’t good but it will get better ans we will get back to normal.
    What the likes of RTÉ, Virgin etc do is pump out the negative to keep people watching the likes of prime time, Claire Byrne the tonight show and the news bulletins. More often then not any push notifications that come from RTÉ especially are negative, the bad news sells!

Sure we now have RTE with a big headline on it’s app about a doctor from Co Mayo calling for curfews :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement