Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Many of the staff below this age are in priority 1 and are included, who suggested it would be different for the younger residents of an elderly facility? I know the youngest resident in an unnamed home is only 48, but they live with 90+ year olds so of course they should be included.

Amount of strawmens and red herrings in this thread is shocking. Ignorant of the HSE's own procedures on this situation and govt policy, acting like "health experts" and criticising anything that makes the HSE look bad, so it seems.

What about the 75 year old couple with underlying conditions living around the corner from this nursing home and coccooning for the past year. Do they drive past their door?
    As far as I'm concerned, the plan was made, it took convening an expert panel to get to that stage , it should be adhered to. There will always be interest groups and special cases but once you start deviating you leave the system open to chaos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

El Sueño wrote: »
    What would be the point of vaccinating healthcare workers if they still had to isolate? Isn't the point of vaccinating them so that there won't be staff shortages?

This is what I can't get my head around. They don't know if it stops transmission. God, I really hope it does stop transmission. Because it sounds like a vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The most important point of vaccination is to prevent serious illness and death. It then matters little in the overall scheme of things if everyone gets Covid. A bonus if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,988 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes but given the timescale this will be rolled out over and the pressure to relax restrictions after the priority groups are vaccinated, it doesn't bode too well for those of us near the bottom of the list if the vaccine has no effect on transmission.

In the absence of concrete data, I'm guessing (as a layperson) that a vaccinated person is likely to shed a much lower viral load than a non-vaccinated person even if they do pick up an infection/transmit somewhat?

I posted a question similar to Away With the Fairies, on the main thread. The opinions were sobering and gave me pause for thought. Basically we need the 70% vaccinated and even then...who knows.

I'm hopeful though. I'm hopeful that come the end of the summer we will be in a far better place, level 2 at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

polesheep wrote: »
    My son, a big healthy 26-year-old, was knocked about for a couple of days afterwards but he'll still be getting his booster and glad of it.

Just to update. My post above was based on second hand information from his sister. Having spoken to him, he had the Moderna vaccine. A sore arm and fatigue for a couple of days, but that was all. Very happy to have got the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Donnelly actually has a great chance to earn himself a golden reputation if he gets this right, from a position where he had little or no respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I posted a question similar to Away With the Fairies, on the main thread. The opinions were sobering and gave me pause for thought. Basically we need the 70% vaccinated and even then...who knows.

I'm hopeful though. I'm hopeful that come the end of the summer we will be in a far better place, level 2 at least.

That’s the opinions i’d predict and expect from the ‘experts’ over on that awful thread. They are only opinions and if you see how the vaccines work then things will seem a lot brighter than you’ll be led to believe on that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭busterjones

Had a test on Thursday morning 10am and no word yet on results. So that’s almost 2.5 days.

Have been tested before and always results in less than 36 hours.

Getting concerned that this must mean that it positive as I believe that takes longer to report.

Any idea what’s the Max wait for results at the moment?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I was tested at 1:30pm on Thursday, received results yesterday around 4pm (negative) so just over 26 hours.

Was told 48 hours would be the upper limit at the test centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

More likely they've lost it than it's positive.

Can that actually happen?
    More likely they've lost it than it's positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Can that actually happen?

Yes, happened to my father twice.

Thanks. What did he do... just wait?
    Yes, happened to my father twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Who knows? :confused: If we reach 70% vaccinated with >90% efficacy vaccines (what an achievement btw) what single reason is there for restrictions of any sort? If a small cohort of unfortunate people are unable to take the vaccine (for whatever reason) then they (a) will hopefully be protected by herd immunity or (b) have to restrict their own movements. Expecting the entire country to remain in some sort of indefinite stasis is foolhardy at best, nihilistic at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

polesheep wrote: »
    Just to update. My post above was based on second hand information from his sister. Having spoken to him, he had the Moderna vaccine. A sore arm and fatigue for a couple of days, but that was all. Very happy to have got the vaccine.
    In Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

In Ireland?

The US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

El Sueño wrote: »
    What would be the point of vaccinating healthcare workers if they still had to isolate? Isn't the point of vaccinating them so that there won't be staff shortages?

No. The main aim is so health care workers don't get serious illness , which in itself , should lessen staff shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Marhay70 wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, the plan was made, it took convening an expert panel to get to that stage , it should be adhered to. There will always be interest groups and special cases but once you start deviating you leave the system open to chaos.

Isn't one of the issues that this wasn't the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’s been like this from the start! Obviously the situation in this country and globally isn’t good but it will get better ans we will get back to normal.
    What the likes of RTÉ, Virgin etc do is pump out the negative to keep people watching the likes of prime time, Claire Byrne the tonight show and the news bulletins. More often then not any push notifications that come from RTÉ especially are negative, the bad news sells!

Agreed - no positive news from anyone on RTÉ - they just convey what ever message is given at the dept of health press conference. There is no interrogation of the facts. Don’t expect them to start doing their job now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Family member had a test Wed afternoon, results this morning Saturday, were told 48 hrs but was actually longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

zuutroy wrote: »
    Donnelly actually has a great chance to earn himself a golden reputation if he gets this right, from a position where he had little or no respect.

Yep. People will forget about all the other mess-ups if the vaccine roll out goes well. The odds are actually somewhat in our favour, we have a younger population than any other country in Europe so fewer older people to vaccinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Who knows? :confused: If we reach 70% vaccinated with >90% efficacy vaccines (what an achievement btw) what single reason is there for restrictions of any sort? If a small cohort of unfortunate people are unable to take the vaccine (for whatever reason) then they (a) will hopefully be protected by herd immunity or (b) have to restrict their own movements. Expecting the entire country to remain in some sort of indefinite stasis is foolhardy at best, nihilistic at wofrst.

Before this pandemic there were those vulnerable people who had to keep clear of any source of infection and yes, that will be the case going forward .

But with a majority of people vaccinated it will make it easier for them to avoid infection.

The vaccination should work to remove the restrictions but only if we get that majority buy in , and may need yearly or biennial repeated vaccinations .

Thanks - was that for a negative?
    phormium wrote: »
    Family member had a test Wed afternoon, results this morning Saturday, were told 48 hrs but was actually longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Isn't one of the issues that this wasn't the plan?

In my opinion the plan that was drawn up is the one that should be ashered to, the only exception I would see is if there was danger of wastage. If the plan is changed it should be changed by those who drew it up and explanations given as to why. I don't think it should be arbitrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

30 hours from test to result here. Based north Dublin. Text i got for test appointment said to contact hse if no result in 48 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Midlands Regional Hospital (Mullingar) are vaccinating staff in alphabetical order.

:confused:

What gobshítes are in charge of these decisions?

Vaccinate the over 60s/those with underlying symptoms first ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Before this pandemic there were those vulnerable people who had to keep clear of any source of infection and yes, that will be the case going forward .

But with a majority of people vaccinated it will make it easier for them to avoid infection.

The vaccination should work to remove the restrictions but only if we get that majority buy in , and may need yearly or biennial repeated vaccinations .
    I accept that. What I do not accept/understand, however, is this narrative being perpetrated by some that we will need restrictions for ever. Completely disingenuous and, one could argue, manipulate in order to elicit a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    :confused:

What gobshítes are in charge of these decisions?

Vaccinate the over 60s/those with underlying symptoms first ffs

...and spend two days working out the schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

...and spend two days working out the schedule.

It would still be done right if it took two days to figure out a proper plan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement