Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

On testing procedures, I read they are not testing asymptomatic close contacts.

Isolation is simple for those who test positive. What about the case of multiple on-going contacts?

4 people live in a house. Joe tests positive on Mon. Mary says she has symptoms to get an immediate test on Tue and is negative. Paddy and Anne have no symptoms and don't get tested.

Surely there is a non-trivial chance that one of the three is still infectious 2-3 weeks later?

There is a thing called ongoing exposure. So if you have young children you have to isolate for 17 days if you are a close contact with no symptoms and living with person who has a postive case. If the second parent tests postive after then the 17 day isolation starts again from the day the 2nd parent got symptoms. So you could be in isolation for nearly 5 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

So is there anywhere we can see, on black and white how many vaccinations have been completed this week?

I'm sick of looking at the positive infection rates, Where's the vaccination ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Isolation is simple for those who test positive. What about the case of multiple on-going contacts?

4 people live in a house. Joe tests positive on Mon. Mary says she has symptoms to get an immediate test on Tue and is negative. Paddy and Anne have no symptoms and don't get tested.

Surely there is a non-trivial chance that one of the three is still infectious 2-3 weeks later?

Close contacts are being told to isolate. Hopefully thry do. I suspect many won't.

I do suspect that we will need to resume testing contacts before we talk about reducing restrictions from their currently high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So is there anywhere we can see, on black and white how many vaccinations have been completed this week?

I'm sick of looking at the positive infection rates, Where's the vaccination ones?
    It is planned for the dashboard I believe but for now look out for Reid or Donnelly giving updates, 35K-40K by the end of today is the target. With Moderna soon to be in the mix that should go to about 50K quickly enough.

I believe its released at the weekly HSE press briefing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Close contacts are being told to isolate. Hopefully thry do. I suspect many won't.

I do suspect that we will need to resume testing contacts before we talk about reducing restrictions from their currently high level.

You missed the point.

They all isolate for the prescribed time but with no symptoms or automatic testing then they could easily still be infectious. They could have formed their own chain of transmission between themselves

There is no follow-up all-clear process

There is a thing called ongoing exposure. So if you have young children you have to isolate for 17 days if you are a close contact with no symptoms and living with person who has a postive case. If the second parent tests postive after then the 17 day isolation starts again from the day the 2nd parent got symptoms. So you could be in isolation for nearly 5 weeks!

Nothing similar for house-shares?

And if the second parent is asymptomatic nothing is checked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The gas thing is that I've asked for two points: one of them is that the originally agreed plan be followed. Instead I was attacked by some random posters on boards for questioning why there was a change to the expert-written and cabinet-approved plan, as though I wanted it to be slowed down! Happy to discuss the pros and cons of plans but I'm not gonna take strawmen from people who mightn't even have any background in the field.

I have found that there are some knowledgeable people on this thread, they tend not to engage themselves in the type of behaviour you describe.
    My opinion is just that, my opinion. Others are entitled to theirs and to have them listened to, if they can be reasonably refuted by way of discussion then fair enough.
    There are others here who think that browbeating a poster if his/her opinion differs from theirs is the way to go, they tend to hunt in packs.
    My own opinion on the plan is, there is no such thing as perfection. The only way to see if a plan is working is to put it into operation and judge it from there. If flaws are discovered or better and more sensible ways are found to implement it then it should be reviewed and changed as necessary but only from the original source.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Nothing similar for house-shares?

And if the second parent is asymptomatic nothing is checked

Nope if you're asymptomatic you just isolate for 17 days from the point of the close contacts first symptom. Same for house shares. If everyone in the house still sharing the space then you all isolate for 17 days from the last positive cases first symptom. Its called ongoing exposure..you can look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

are we stockpiling the vaccines or they all being used?

• Advertisement

Wesekn. wrote: »
    It looks like we are "dipping into our cushion stock" according to Donnelly, because they've had reassurances from Pfizer on future supply. Care homes now targeted to be completed by about 22nd of January.

Wesekn. wrote: »

There's plan for a buffer so insulate us from a shipment being missed but not to hold back a. Second dose for everyone that gets a first dose.

The plans for a buffer were reduced as pfizer have given assurances that their supply chain is robust.

Nope if you're asymptomatic you just isolate for 17 days from the point of the close contacts first symptom. Same for house shares. If everyone in the house still sharing the space then you all isolate for 17 days from the last positive cases first symptom. Its called ongoing exposure..you can look it up.

I don't think you understood my point.

In my example, after 17 days, there is a non-trivial chance that one of Anne/Paddy/Mary is still infectious. Surely greater than in the general population. Especially in a house where kitchen and/or bathroom facilities are shared.

I'm not asking what the guideline in. I'm just pointing out the issue. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for the three of them going to get an "all-clear" test after 14 days

BTW, my understanding is the 17 days is for scenarios where someone is taking care of someone else. So it would be 14 days for my scenario anyway.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It looks like we are "dipping into our cushion stock" according to Donnelly, because they've had reassurances from Pfizer on future supply. Care homes now targeted to be completed by about 22nd of January.

Whatever will people complain about?

Whatever will people complain about?
    Wait till we get the weekly vaccination numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know if any region in the country have lack of facilities for storage of the vaccines?

We have two freezers here in Castletroy, Limerick. One that goes to -80 C and the other- 40 C.

These freezers can be rented out, if required.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone know if any region in the country have lack of facilities for storage of the vaccines?

We have two freezers here in Castletroy, Limerick. One that goes to -80 C and the other- 40 C.

These freezers can be rented out, if required.
    There were promo photos of the freezers a few weeks back. I believe we have 9 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

is_that_so wrote: »
    There were promo photos of the freezers a few weeks back. I believe we have 9 of them.

I seen those. Don't seem to be many, if for the whole country.

If the Oxford vaccine is rolled out in Ireland, there be less issues with storing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Any news on moderna? Silence since Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Any news on moderna? Silence since Wednesday

HSE said towards the end of the week they were in discussions with Moderna on the delivery schedule. Latest info was first doses to arrive in the coming week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

When are they going to start working on a vaccine for Ryan Tubridy?

He should be banned from airwaves during Level 3-5.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

During levels 0 - 6 just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I’ve heard anecdotally, and see some reports now, of non-frontline staff in various hospitals getting vaccinated ahead of those caring directly for Covid patients.

Is there a good reason for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

GetWithIt wrote: »
    I’ve heard anecdotally, and see some reports now, of non-frontline staff in various hospitals getting vaccinated ahead of those caring directly for Covid patients.

Yes. Anyone in a hospital is at risk from the virus and a risk for passing it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I can't say anything about any rumours, but I mentioned earlier in the thread that many people have a skewed view on what "frontline" means. As far as they're concerned hospitals consist of doctors and nurses, with other staff either nonexistent or sitting in an office away from patients.

Catering staff and porters will spend more time in close contact with numerous patients on a given day than many doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

The vaccine is there already, its called the TV remote control :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You got a source or is it more of the whatsapp rumours.

England hoping have to vaccinated 16m by the end of February so surely our 4.9m, technically you only need 3.5million for herd immunity , should be done some time in March April because they have a head start with the Oxford vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

polesheep wrote: »
    Yes. Anyone in a hospital is at risk from the virus and a risk for passing it on.

My wife is a nurse and has heard numerous instances of admin staff being vaccinated. The reality is there is a supply issue so frontline healthcare "providers" should be prioritised. Sure aren't admin/desk based people supposed to be WFH anyway? So they shouldn't be at risk of contracting the virus.

Edit: clarification
    I omitted all the other critical support services that also need to vaccinated - maintenance/engineering, cleaning, house keeping, HCAs , Porters, Lab staff etc.....all critical to hourly operations (nevermind daily). This was wrong and I apologise for any offence caused. These people should be of equal priority to nurses, doctors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

My wife is a nurse and has heard numerous instances of admin staff being vaccinated. The reality is there is a supply issue so frontline healthcare "providers" should be prioritised. Sure aren't admin/desk based people supposed to be WFH anyway? So they shouldn't be at risk of contracting the virus.

the amount of people who think a hospital can be run with just nurses and doctors present is staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

That's why I said 'Anyone in a hospital'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement