Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

No we shouldn't compare ourselves to Denmark, they have pushed out the 2nd dose and are doing the same as UK giving the first dose to as many as possible

Thanks. Did not know that. How far have they pushed out the second dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thanks. Did not know that. How far have they pushed out the second dose?

They're saying between 3 and 4 weeks but up to 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Look, maybe this is just me but i think it is bonkers getting freaked out over things like the order in which a subgroup of 100 or so people in one organisation gets vaccinated, or how well we are doing in comparison to other countries. Has it even been two weeks? Think about that.

Us, and every other country are to a large extent still in a learning curve scenario here. We seem to be doing OK, more or less hitting targets and the predictions are reasonable. Lets wait until we actually fcuk up or are shown to be consistently poorer than others before getting outraged, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Anyone know when vaccination figures are released? Is it weekly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Anyone know when vaccination figures are released? Is it weekly?

Today isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

No we shouldn't compare ourselves to Denmark, they have pushed out the 2nd dose and are doing the same as UK giving the first dose to as many as possible

I don't think that it is accurate to say that they are the same as the UK, they are remaining on label, the UK are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Sky King wrote: »
    Look, maybe this is just me but i think it is bonkers getting freaked out over things like the order in which a subgroup of 100 or so people in one organisation gets vaccinated, or how well we are doing in comparison to other countries. Has it even been two weeks? Think about that.

Us, and every other country are to a large extent still in a learning curve scenario here. We seem to be doing OK, more or less hitting targets and the predictions are reasonable. Lets wait until we actually fcuk up or are shown to be consistently poorer than others before getting outraged, maybe?

I agree, however if retired staff or staff that can wfh are getting vaccinated that is a whole different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Seems the government’s narrative has changed and Leo has said he can’t ever see us going back to normal. I give up....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Seems the government’s narrative has changed and Leo has said he can’t ever see us going back to normal. I give up....

Is there a link to his comments?

He referenced changes from the pandemic such as remote working, he's not wrong there. More will work from home.

Anyway I digress as its off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Heard that too. And the two lads interviewing him didn't even have the cop on to quiz him on that statement. I give up on this too. And I believe the general public are getting sick of this doom and gloom rhetoric. Statements like that from varadkar are only feeding the conspiracy theorists that are saying this is all part of a big reset of the world.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

He referenced changes from the pandemic such as remote working, he's not wrong there. More will work from home.

Anyway I digress as its off topic.

Ah so not as in normality per say? I read the comments on other threads so they were obviously out of context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

rte be creaming their pants -headline on the way

Ah so not as in normality per say? I read the comments on other threads so they were obviously out of context.

It'll really be whatever people make of it to be honest. I know myself I'll probably look to take a few more days WFH here and there but there's others who I know won't. There'll definitely be a shift there alright, also in hygiene people will be much more aware, better use of sanitizers etc. All benefits really I think.

Just having a look through twitter to see if there's any movement on AstraZeneca, Czech health minister mentioned Friday 29th as the possible day for approval.

It'll be interesting to see when this week AstraZeneca apply to EMA and when the committee on human medicines schedules to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It'll really be whatever people make of it to be honest. I know myself I'll probably look to take a few more days WFH here and there but there's others who I know won't. There'll definitely be a shift there alright, also in hygiene people will be much more aware, better use of sanitizers etc. All benefits really I think.

Elected officials need to be clear about this. Increased working from home and better hygiene are one thing, social distancing is completely different in terms of the implications for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I will too , I now look back in horror at how we waltzed around airports etc and touched everything . I will carry hand sanitizer with me in my bag from now on and be much more aware of people in my space.
    One thing I learned when in Germany was to open windows regardless of outside temp .They would fling open windows even in - 10 and allow the air to flow and clear . I worked in a hospital and windows were regularly opened for 10 minutes at a time in the dead of winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Back to this thread after a weekend of not worrying about vaccine rollout speed. Did wonders for my mental health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Back to this thread after a weekend of not worrying about vaccine rollout speed. Did wonders for my mental health.

100% agree we should all try to forget about Covid for a few hours each day. I find switching off for 3/4 hours is great for my mental health.

There are some posters who seem to spend their every waking moment on this forum. I don't mean that as a criticism. But I do think everyone needs to switch off every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Most NCHDs dont read emails, as they may get a new email address with every hospital they work in- which can change every 6 months.
    Management dont give a f88K, as witnessed by them refusing to vaccinate NCHDs who were switching hospitals, even if these NCHDs were working on COVID wards/ICU. telephonists were reported as getting the vaccine before frontline doctors.

People need to read their emails- simple really. This “I’m special I need special treatment “ just isn’t going to wash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ShyMets wrote: »
    100% agree we should all try to forget about Covid for a few hours each day. I find switching off for 3/4 hours is great for my mental health.

There are some posters who seem to spend their every waking moment on this forum. I don't mean that as a criticism. But I do think everyone needs to switch off every now and then

I find it's easier to forget about it when i'm not working. When i'm working, I get so bored, I end up checking stuff out. Much easier to zone it out if I'm at home playing playstation

titan18 wrote: »
    I find it's easier to forget about it when i'm not working. When i'm working, I get so bored, I end up checking stuff out. Much easier to zone it out if I'm at home playing playstation

Same. Looking forward to college coming back, so I'm distracted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

My best friend was vaccinated today.

My girlfriend's nursing home which had outbreak, have now tested negative and they'll be getting vaccinated at their prescribed time.

Delighted, great start to the week for us here in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just saw on Twitter the whole staff of the national maternity hospital have been vaccinated, fair play to them

FionnK86 wrote: »
    My best friend was vaccinated today.

My girlfriend's nursing home which had outbreak, have now tested negative and they'll be getting vaccinated at their prescribed time.

Delighted, great start to the week for us here in the house.

Brilliant :-D

This is why I stayed out of this thread at the weekend. Nothing good happening, just bickering. Great stuff!

Just saw on Twitter the whole staff of the national maternity hospital have been vaccinated, fair play to them

Yup the master of the hospital was on radio one this morning. He reckoned 95% of staff got it, the ones that didn't he said were staff currently on covid leave or staff who are pregnant and had decided to not get it just yet, perfectly understandable.

He also mentioned they also vaccinated staff of the nearby dentist hospital and local GPs. Very well run took them about 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Brilliant :-D

This is why I stayed out of this thread at the weekend. Nothing good happening, just bickering. Great stuff!
    Yes, it's great to get the little updates and real-life experiences of vaccination roll out while we're waiting on the J&J results and AZ approval from the EMA. We won't hear about the other vaccines for some time, and there is precious little news on production in terms of expansion, but we know Pfizer's Marburg plant will be in operation in a month or two.

Much of the rest is glass half-empty / half-full appraisals. Whether we view the situation with pessimistic or optimistic eyes is a matter of public engagement with NPHET in relation into guidelines, and just a coping mechanism for the rest of us. It is human nature to form grouplings and compete.
    For anyone who can read Spanish, this piece covers scientific opinion on delayed second dose strategies in relation to vaccine mutation. TLDR is more research needed, but anything that reduces the total amount of Covid in the community should slow down rate of mutation. However, there is still the possibility that low levels of protection may selectively favour mutations that bypass vaccine protection (but that we shouldn't fret unnecessarily either).

https://elpais.com/ciencia/2021-01-09/el-peor-escenario-posible-nuevas-variantes-del-virus-que-escapen-de-las-vacunas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ah come on Micky, let's not jump to conclusions, we all know there is nuance to that statement. Leo, MM, et al. have stated numerous times that we will back to normal (or something resembling it) by the end of the summer/year. Despite all the doom and gloom and prevalance of misleading, disingeneous, negative articles in the Irish media, if you look further afield, there are plenty of experts expecting a return to normal if and when mass vaccination is successful.

I think Leo meant that we will not fully return to the old normal. Positive aspects such as hybrid working, improved hygiene will remain, but I don't think anyone (bar introverts) could describe social-distancing as postive in any shape or form, so that will be consigned to history - just like it was after the Spanish Flu.

Keep the faith, the cavalary is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My dad got the vaccine yesterday thankfully in the Bons Cork (he works there). Think they started rolling out on Thursday or Friday so probably close to being finished there now.

• Advertisement

Have a friend who's a cleaner in the CUH and he got the shot a few days ago. Great stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement