Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Ah come on Micky, let's not jump to conclusions, we all know there is nuance to that statement. Leo, MM, et al. have stated numerous times that we will back to normal (or something resembling it) by the end of the summer/year. Despite all the doom and gloom and prevalance of misleading, disingeneous, negative articles in the Irish media, if you look further afield, there are plenty of experts expecting a return to normal if and when mass vaccination is successful.

I think Leo meant that we will not fully return to the old normal. Positive aspects such as hybrid working, improved hygiene will remain, but I don't think anyone (bar introverts) could describe social-distancing as postive in any shape or form, so that will be consigned to history - just like it was after the Spanish Flu.

Keep the faith, the cavalary is coming.

You are right. The reality is i certainly believe all you posted without a doubt. It just irks me to see statements like that, especially posted on forums without proper context.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just saw on Twitter the whole staff of the national maternity hospital have been vaccinated, fair play to them

My partners sister works in maternity and as soon as she goes back into work she’s getting the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

RTE news : Michael, 107, survived Spanish flu and two world wars

http://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0111/1188898-kerry-man-107/

This is a nice vaccine related story. Good on him, made me think. He has lived through major historical events, civil war, ww2, Spanish flu etc. We are simply doing the same with Covid right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yup the master of the hospital was on radio one this morning. He reckoned 95% of staff got it, the ones that didn't he said were staff currently on covid leave or staff who are pregnant and had decided to not get it just yet, perfectly understandable.

He also mentioned they also vaccinated staff of the nearby dentist hospital and local GPs. Very well run took them about 3 days
    I wish they could have done this for nursing home staff nearby hospitals, would have sped things up a bit more. Not sure if that's happening and it's just not being reported though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I wish they could have done this for nursing home staff nearby hospitals, would have sped things up a bit more. Not sure if that's happening and it's just not being reported though.
    There seem to be two concurrent streams operating independently of each other at present and a separate plan for each one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

https://twitter.com/davekeating/status/1348262005514383368?s=21

I must admit that looking at the vaccine breakdown table on there and not seeing Ireland, and then hearing on the news that we have the worst Covid infection rate in the world at the moment; it does highlight a number of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The Uk are really motoring through vaccinations in fairness to them

Seem to be giving daily updates aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Kivaro wrote: »

I must admit that looking at the vaccine breakdown table on there and not seeing Ireland, and then hearing on the news that we have the worst Covid infection rate in the world at the moment; it does highlight a number of questions.

Those tables aren't accurate whatsoever. They take from a number of different sources.

HSE briefing on Thursday will give the up to date numbers, ministers were briefed last night that the HSE pushed past its 35k target for the week just gone. 40k is this weeks target.

[Url] [\url][/url]

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Pfizer/BioNTech to boost 2021 production to 2bn doses: https://www.ft.com/content/338fa31b-6b4d-4184-b41b-98388652a943 (paywall)

Production of 500m doses through new Marburg plant in Germany and the approval of 6 doses per vial instead of 5.

Article also says Moderna now expect to deliver between 600m and 1bn doses this year, I believe this was estimated at 500m before?

Good to see increases in production. We badly need all of these.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Kivaro wrote: »

Ireland's got roughly the same number of vaccinations as Greece but half its population. We'd be faring okay in that table as it stands.

• Advertisement

Those tables aren't accurate whatsoever. They take from a number of different sources.

HSE briefing on Thursday will give the up to date numbers, ministers were briefed last night that the HSE pushed past its 35k target for the week just gone. 40k is this weeks target.

[Url] [\url][/url]

Why on earth is this on Thursday . Vaccines arrived into Ireland on 26th December . The 1st update from the HSE is the 14th January

You'd laugh if it wasn't so serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The Uk are really motoring through vaccinations in fairness to them

Seem to be giving daily updates aswel

I would hope we have the vaccinations centers at the ready for the first day of the Astrazeneca deliveries. I'd like to think our government are observing closely so we can adjust for any steps where the Brits may have initially went wrong, and thus hit the ground running on Feb 1st or whenever.

I would hope we have the vaccinations centers at the ready for the first day of the Astrazeneca deliveries. I'd like to think our government are observing closely so we can adjust for any steps where the Brits may have initially went wrong, and thus hit the ground running on Feb 1st or whenever.

You would hope. However i wouldn't expect anything. Too busy turning themselves in celebrities

The CEO of the HSE has the time to go onto a late night talk show but doesnt have the time to give us an update on vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Why on earth is this on Thursday . Vaccines arrived into Ireland on 26th December . The 1st update from the HSE is the 14th January

No its not, the weekly press briefing by the HSE on its operations is Thursday. There was a vaccine update last Thursday & at previous HSE briefings and we've been told it'll be added to the geo hive dashboard going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

What exactly is so serious about reporting vaccine administration as opposed to actually administering it? The vaccines will be getting distributed at the same rate whether the numbers are published or not.

I'd love regular up to date figures but it's a "nice to have" thing, not some crucial step in the process.

What exactly is so serious about reporting vaccine administration as opposed to actually administering it? The vaccines will be getting distributed at the same rate whether the numbers are published or not.

I'd love regular up to date figures but it's a "nice to have" thing, not some crucial step in the process.

You dont think reporting on the vaccination numbers is essential ? Jesus . Its the most important thing thats happened in our lifetimes . We have a right to be kept updated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You dont think reporting on the vaccination numbers is essential ? Jesus . Its the most important thing thats happened in our lifetimes . We have a right to be kept updated
    We don't have the right to any data actually

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Any idea when we get delivery of the Moderna vaccine and when we get to start vaccinating with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Yes, and you'll get a weekly update.Daily updates would be nice but not crucial. It's pure hyperbole to say that reporting daily numbers is very serious considering the only consequence of not doing so is irritating the impatient.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

marno21 wrote: »
    Pfizer/BioNTech to boost 2021 production to 2bn doses: https://www.ft.com/content/338fa31b-6b4d-4184-b41b-98388652a943 (paywall)

Production of 500m doses through new Marburg plant in Germany and the approval of 6 doses per vial instead of 5.
    Great news. The other thing with those mRNA vaccines is that if there is a mutation which requires a new vaccine, it appears that they are the fastest vaccine platform which can be retooled. It will be useful to have huge capacity if required.

There was a good article here (paywall):
    https://www.ft.com/content/a67d1c2e-9963-4fd0-9ba6-dc677f68a216

"...estimated that the entire process until the new shots were in people’s arms would take three to six months for the mRNA vaccines. It would take six to eight months for the adenovirus vector vaccines like Oxford/AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson, and up to nine months for protein-based vaccines like those developed by Novavax and Sanofi/GSK
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If we're to hear about daily cases we should absolutely get to hear about daily vaccinations, for everyone's sanity at least.

Are people in this thread bots for the HSE or something . Its hilarious .

Any idea when we get delivery of the Moderna vaccine and when we get to start vaccinating with it?
    Logistics being worked out is the latest but pretty imminent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Reporting vaccination numbers to the public is not essential.

It will happen, but it doesn't really impact anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Are people in this thread bots for the HSE or something . Its hilarious .
    Suggesting that you can't demand data that you have no right to =/= being a 'thread bot'

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

is_that_so wrote: »
    Logistics being worked out is the latest but pretty imminent.
    Being discussed here, as it is now shipping but no dates for Ireland yet:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/moderna-starts-shipping-covid-19-vaccine-supplies-in-europe-1.4455357
    Plus another piece on Cyprus seeking an arrangement with Israel but being pushed back by EU as existing agreement is legally binding (and the right way to go.. direct the pressure to the EU bodies).
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/11/brussels-appeals-for-vaccine-solidarity-across-member-states

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Daily vaccination numbers just sound like another big obsessive headache.

"Oh no, they're down 200 on yesterday! I wonder what happened?! I bet someone in the warehouse dropped a box. That'd be typical of Ireland".

Weekly is grand, thanks.

Amirani wrote: »
    Reporting vaccination numbers to the public is not essential.

It will happen, but it doesn't really impact anything.

It will help people who are paying mortgages who are on 350 euro a week . But they are just sh!t on a shoe to the elite .

Im sure the late late show appearance helped them though

seamus wrote: »

"Oh no, they're down 200 on yesterday! I wonder what happened?! I bet someone in the warehouse dropped a box. That'd be typical of Ireland".

Weekly is grand, thanks.

Do we really need daily updates on cases ? What is an increase or decrease to the average joe soap . Everything is irrelevant until they are advised of new restrictions .

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

Weekly is grand, thanks.

For the obsessive!
    Speaking on Newstalk Anne O'Connor said that the figure was "closer to 40,000" and the majority of these were frontline healthcare workers.

More here

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0111/1188967-modern-vaccine-latest/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement