Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Are people in this thread bots for the HSE or something . Its hilarious .
    Hello, I hear you're interested in the HSE. The HSE is dedicated to providing excellent healthcare to the people of Ireland and runs successful programs from ante-natal care to vaccinations. Thank you for showing an interest in the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

seamus wrote: »
    Daily vaccination numbers just sound like another big obsessive headache.

"Oh no, they're down 200 on yesterday! I wonder what happened?! I bet someone in the warehouse dropped a box. That'd be typical of Ireland".

Weekly is grand, thanks.

Yeah, having to listen to weekly anguished howls from the vaccine rollout experts is plenty.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH. SIMPLE AS.

TYPICAL HSE/FG/FF/SF/IRE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

D.Q wrote: »
    Yeah, having to listen to weekly anguished howls from the vaccine rollout experts is plenty.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH. SIMPLE AS.

TYPICAL HSE/FG/FF/SF/IRE

God forbid people look for some accountability on the most important process happening in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Vaccination numbers are hugely important.

1. Morale of the country, if they can announce cases and deaths daily, they can do the same for vaccinations.
    2. Sheds public light and pressure on either supply or administration issues.
    3. Numbers are absolute, Govt and HSE cannot spin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hurry up Swab data for today and yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »

20k in nursing homes this week alone and from next weekend 58k in the following week in nursing homes alone is very good quick progress I think.

Not to forget the hospital settings on top of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

seamus wrote: »
    Daily vaccination numbers just sound like another big obsessive headache.

"Oh no, they're down 200 on yesterday! I wonder what happened?! I bet someone in the warehouse dropped a box. That'd be typical of Ireland".

Weekly is grand, thanks.

The only problem is the (incorrect) assumption that Ireland is doing poorly on administering vaccinations when viewed on these charts. Your casual observer may not (or choose not to) see the date beside the number and assumes the worst.

It doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice to see Ireland fairly represented and shown to be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

VonLuck wrote: »
    The only problem is the (incorrect) assumption that Ireland is doing poorly on administering vaccinations when viewed on these charts. Your casual observer may not (or choose not to) see the date beside the number and assumes the worst.

It doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice to see Ireland fairly represented and shown to be doing well.

Even if you tweak the dates on the chart to a date where all data is available, then we are still near the lower part of the middle / bottom. So it’s not purely a timing thing.

Not saying we are slow or not but we aren’t as fast as some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

EU countries in general are slow due to the EMA being cautious on approving vaccines and the nature of the supply deals with the EU. (Simply put, Pfizer's not one of the vaccines they had bet on being the forerunner).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It will help people who are paying mortgages who are on 350 euro a week .

Huge if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Water John wrote: »
    TMK hasn't been publicised yet.

What's TMK?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Stark wrote: »
    EU countries in general are slow due to the EMA being cautious on approving vaccines and the nature of the supply deals with the EU. (Simply put, Pfizer's not one of the vaccines they had bet on being the forerunner).

Denmark has gone ahead of the UK in vaccine per population % and that's after the late start.

EU countries do look slow on the whole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

humberklog wrote: »
    Denmark has gone ahead of the UK in vaccine per population % and that's after the late start.

EU countries do look slow on the whole though.

No rush sure

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Louche Lad wrote: »
    What's TMK?
    To my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Stark wrote: »

Yes, but the EU won't be that long catching up to the UK really. In reality everyone in the EU is only 2/3 weeks behind.
    When AZ is approved in Europe and the mass vaccinations centers up and running everyone will be running up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

I’m no fan of the HSE, I originally assumed (and still do to a degree) that they’ll make a balls of this somehow. However to be fair, I can’t really see what more they could do right now or could have done in the last week or two. For sure they should have had the IT infrastructure ready to go a few months ago.
    IMO it’s the right thing to do to hold stock for second doses until they were sure of supply and then to continue to hold a smaller buffer. The rollout seems to be going as fast as our current supply allows, and apart from what seem to be a few localised issues (allegedly), it seems to this observer to be going at the pace it can. There was always going to be whining from people because Joe got it ahead of Jim bla, bla, but that’s natural on a population wide project.
    Prof Butler sees very competent anytime I’ve seen or heard her and Brian McCraith appears to be held in high regard from anything I’ve read about him.
    I think there’s an element of “do you want it done quick or do you want it done right ?” about all this tbh. Going off on some hare brained plan that goes against the manufacturer’s advice is the last thing we need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Even if you tweak the dates on the chart to a date where all data is available, then we are still near the lower part of the middle / bottom. So it’s not purely a timing thing.

Not saying we are slow or not but we aren’t as fast as some countries.

If you take a date of the 8th or 9th of January you could probably assume that between 30-35k vaccinations have taken place if they're at 40k as of yesterday. That would give you between 0.61 to 0.71 per 100 which compares very well against other countries. Potentially 7th in that European chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Russman wrote: »
    I’m no fan of the HSE, I originally assumed (and still do to a degree) that they’ll make a balls of this somehow. However to be fair, I can’t really see what more they could do right now or could have done in the last week or two. For sure they should have had the IT infrastructure ready to go a few months ago.
    IMO it’s the right thing to do to hold stock for second doses until they were sure of supply and then to continue to hold a smaller buffer. The rollout seems to be going as fast as our current supply allows, and apart from what seem to be a few localised issues (allegedly), it seems to this observer to be going at the pace it can. There was always going to be whining from people because Joe got it ahead of Jim bla, bla, but that’s natural on a population wide project.
    Prof Butler sees very competent anytime I’ve seen or heard her and Brian McCraith appears to be held in high regard from anything I’ve read about him.
    I think there’s an element of “do you want it done quick or do you want it done right ?” about all this tbh. Going off on some hare brained plan that goes against the manufacturer’s advice is the last thing we need to do.
    The UK folks who have far more qualifications than I in this field maintain that delaying the 2nd dose is a viable strategy, the manufacturers would recommend the same if they had picked such an approach in their phase 3 trials (but of course, longer time between doses inherently would slow down the approval date, so it's a bit of a catch-22).

The EMA even publicly criticised the MRHA in the UK for its quite-expedited approval process, but the criticism wasn't repeated elsewhere and then the EMA themselves brought forward the approval decision for the BioNTech vaccine in what must surely have been seen with some irony in London.

The job the HSE has done in stopping the testing system from falling over is quite remarkable to be honest and genuinely deserves praise to have kept up with >20% positivity rate, and using the military if needed to get more tests sent to Germany to eradicate any backlog. But that part's off topic I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

VonLuck wrote: »
    If you take a date of the 8th or 9th of January you could probably assume that between 30-35k vaccinations have taken place if they're at 40k as of yesterday. That would give you between 0.61 to 0.71 per 100 which compares very well against other countries. Potentially 7th in that European chart.

Yeah, this week should push us up the table. All the more reason to release the stats regularly. Even Monday & Thursdays at the briefings would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Like Moderna, that's an 'America First' vaccine. That's why the Moderna quantities are so low at the moment.

This is France's vaccine timeline, so I assume we are extrapolate it to us based on proportion of population

ErNQDm8XcAES1fL?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Thats a big "if" pending EMA approval of AstraZeneca. Afaik we had only 460,000 hard number till end of march and the AZ buy didn't make up the million odd in the difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

AdamD wrote: »

This is great news and I get the sense they are underpromising so may well go faster than this (particularly if J&J vaccine also comes on stream). It's going to a great Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

Am I correct in saying this is a single dose jab? If so it has a 3 to 4 week head start on others. Could be huge improvement in roll out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AZ data has gone to EMA according to Katrina Butler. Moderna vaccine arriving this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Two relevant articles on the state of play in the EU in regards to procurement and politics.
    Astra Zeneca approval needs to happen fast, if it doesn't it has potential to be a massive political issue not just health.
    Some troubling reading about the less wealthy EU states actually makes Irelands position look more favourable but overall it seems that we might have a very unequal situation developing, before the standard response about EMA approval remember political pressure has already pushed approval dates forward but only for the vaccines bought in bulk by influencial states.

https://www.theguardian.com./world/2021/jan/11/brussels-appeals-for-vaccine-solidarity-across-member-states

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-buys-extra-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-from-eu-countries/

Both these sources lean very pro-EU in general because I know I will I get the standard complaints about eurosceptism or negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Water John wrote: »
    AZ data has gone to EMA according to Katrina Butler. Moderna vaccine arriving this week.

That's great . Any link ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Prof Butler on possible EMA approval of AstraZeneca end of the month

Prof Butler said AstraZeneca are trying to have "very significant quantities of vaccine available to us at that time" which will certainly allow acceleration of the roll-out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement