Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

That's great . Any link ?

Skip to 1:00:00

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1348687736203575305?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

trellheim wrote: »
    Thats a big "if" pending EMA approval of AstraZeneca. Afaik we had only 460,000 hard number till end of march and the AZ buy didn't make up the million odd in the difference ?

Pfizer will begin delivering the additional doses ordered under the EU purchase in March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Prof. Butler also said it was possible to extract 7 doses from some vials of Pfizer vaccine and if 7 full doses can be safely extracted, then they should be.
    I'm not sure if that's coming from the EMA or just us taking the initiative ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Not sure if its been posted already but just thought it was interesting as its Irish related:

Open Orphan’s first volunteer receives intranasal Covid-19 vaccine in clinical trial

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/open-orphans-first-volunteer-receives-intranasal-covid-19-vaccine-in-clinical-trial-39954108.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

From the daily thread
    BBC NI reporting that 91,954 vaccines have been administered in NI so far.

68,664 have received one Pfizer dose
    13,949 he received two Pfizer doses
    9,341 have received Astra Zeneca

So 78,005 individuals have had at least one injection so far which amounts to about 4% of the population of NI.

NI has one of the best roll-outs in the world right now

One island. Two very different roll-outs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Covid-19 vaccine in UAE: 80,683 people vaccinated in last 24 hours

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/covid-19-vaccine-in-uae-80683-people-vaccinated-in-last-24-hours
    The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that 80,683 people have got a coronavirus vaccine over the last 24 hours, bringing to 1,167,251 the total number of shots taken so far across the nation.

The pros: They already have over a tenth of the entire population done

The cons: it's mostly using the Chinese vaccine Sinopharm. China has, as far as I know, refused to release any data in relation this vaccine. It's the only vaccine I'd be very reluctant to take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Cork2021 wrote: »

Having pharmacies administer vaccines would be a great step forward. I got the flu vaccine in November and despite the queue of about 15 people, it moved fairly fast.

Pfizer will begin delivering the additional doses ordered under the EU purchase in March

Thought they said 75m of them in q2, which is anywhere from April to June?

Thought they said 75m of them in q2, which is anywhere from April to June?

Production estimates are now up to 2bn for the year though so who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    From the daily thread

NI has one of the best roll-outs in the world right now

One island. Two very different roll-outs

In fairness and I am normally critical of the HSE, northern Ireland really badly needs to get the most vulnerable some level of protection fast apparently certain health boards are in very bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Two relevant articles on the state of play in the EU in regards to procurement and politics.
    Astra Zeneca approval needs to happen fast, if it doesn't it has potential to be a massive political issue not just health.
    Some troubling reading about the less wealthy EU states actually makes Irelands position look more favourable but overall it seems that we might have a very unequal situation developing, before the standard response about EMA approval remember political pressure has already pushed approval dates forward but only for the vaccines bought in bulk by influencial states.

https://www.theguardian.com./world/2021/jan/11/brussels-appeals-for-vaccine-solidarity-across-member-states

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-buys-extra-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-from-eu-countries/

Both these sources lean very pro-EU in general because I know I will I get the standard complaints about eurosceptism or negativity.

Based on this: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1201/1181633-coronavirus-vaccine/

Has Ireland only bought slightly over 50% of the allocation it could have gotten of the Moderna vaccine under the pro rata allocation of about 1.6 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Based on this: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1201/1181633-coronavirus-vaccine/

Has Ireland only bought slightly over 50% of the allocation it could have gotten of the Moderna vaccine under the pro rata allocation of about 1.6 million?

1.6 million will arrive here. The initial allocation was based on the inital EU contract. EU have triggered an additional 80m doses with Moderna raising our allocation to 1.6 million

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

1.6 million will arrive here. The initial allocation was based on the inital EU contract. EU have triggered an additional 80m doses with Moderna raising our allocation to 1.6 million
    Ok. That politico article raised questions where France has managed to get its hands on more of the Moderna vaccine.

Is it an option for Ireland to buy even more of the allocation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Ok. That politico article raised questions where France has managed to get its hands on more of the Moderna vaccine.

Is it an option for Ireland to buy even more of the allocation?

Good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dose 1 done today. Lots of staff in the hospital getting vaccinated - they seem to be opening it up for as many people as possible and my untrained eye saw special needles so maybe they are getting the 6th dose already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

It does seem like there are more and more tidbits of good news coming and reasons to be ever more optimistic. I watched the press conference earlier but somehow missed Prof Butler saying the EMA process has started for AZ. I’ve gone from feeling a bit “January” about the whole thing to having a little bit more optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I see March as the big ramp up in vaccination. The Bons, Cork did 1,000 with the Pfizer vaccine last Saturday using 22 vaccinators.
    Pro rata that would be one location doing 5/7,000 in a week. So 20 locations could do up to 140,000 in a week. Add in all GP practices and Pharmacys, over 200,000 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I heard CUH has now moved from appointments to walk-ins for any remaining hospital staff who want one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

"Remaining" being a good word there... means CUH must be close to getting all staff vaccinated on the first dose, or at least everyone who wants it. Which I understand is the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Water John

"Remaining" being a good word there... means CUH must be close to getting all staff vaccinated on the first dose, or at least everyone who wants it. Which I understand is the vast majority.

You'll find very few anti vaxers among those who have been, up close and personal, with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Dose 1 done today. Lots of staff in the hospital getting vaccinated - they seem to be opening it up for as many people as possible and my untrained eye saw special needles so maybe they are getting the 6th dose already?

I got the first dose from a vial and could see they got 6 from my vial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Like Moderna, that's an 'America First' vaccine. That's why the Moderna quantities are so low at the moment.

This is France's vaccine timeline, so I assume we are extrapolate it to us based on proportion of population

ErNQDm8XcAES1fL?format=png&name=small

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is developed by Janssen, a Belgian company. The EU have a bigger order in than the US. It is in no way an America first vaccine. The timelines for vaccines who have not released phase 3 data are pure estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

snotboogie wrote: »
    The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is developed by Janssen, a Belgian company. The EU have a bigger order in than the US. It is in no way an America first vaccine. The timelines for vaccines who have not released phase 3 data are pure estimates.
    I'd expect J&J to be approved before Curevac, with one or two doses. They are earlier into trials.

Even quicker if the one dose vaccine gives good protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ugur Sahin interview. Discussion of mutations, including UK & South African variants. The data released last week looked at one of the mutations, but he indicates he has data which is due to be released showing it is also working against the South African mutation which had people more worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Leo Varadkar:

The general public can expect to start getting the Covid-19 vaccination jab from Spring according to Tánaiste Leo Varadkar who warned business that they may be forced to stay shut until Easter though he does expect a 'decent summer'.

The Government's second in command told the Today FM Dermot and Dave Show that people who are generally well and aged under 65 can expect to receive the Covid-19 vaccine.

"It'll be after Easter realistically, through the GP surgeries, pharmacies. We're going to have about 15 mass vaccination centres around the country too," he said.

Frontline staff and people in long term care facilities are being vaccinated at present.

Minister Varadkar did not have good news on when restrictions would ease as he said Ireland is in a third wave which is worse than when the virus first hit in March and April of 2020.

That's hard to say, to be very frank," he said of when restrictions would ease.

"I'm the Minister for Enterprise and what I'm saying to business people, in particular, is that if your business is not open, that you should be planning for the possibility that it might not open until the end of February or even the end of March.

"There may be some relaxation of restrictions but I think they may only be very minor," he said.

However, he is looking forward to June, July and August

"I think the summer is going to be a good summer. I'm not going to say it's a normal summer but I think it is going to be a good one because we'll really see the effect of the vaccine in the second quarter of the year.

"Also obviously we'll be getting to the better weather. I think we can look forward to a decent summer," said Minister Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That is why I said by end January. We cannot compare to the U.K. given different regime but we should be able to compare ourselves to the likes of Denmark.

Denmark, Germany have both ignored the EU agreement on vaccines.

Northern EU countries can get away with that and often do it, rules would apply to ourselves and others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Danzy wrote: »
    Denmark, Germany have both ignored the EU agreement on vaccines.

Northern EU countries can get away with that and often do it, rules would apply to ourselves and others though.

Will either country get vaccines ahead of anyone else, though? Do you have a source that says Denmark have ignored the agreement? All I have seen is a mention that Denmark is buying some leftover doses, from this article:

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-buys-extra-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-from-eu-countries/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement