Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar:

The general public can expect to start getting the Covid-19 vaccination jab from Spring according to Tánaiste Leo Varadkar who warned business that they may be forced to stay shut until Easter though he does expect a 'decent summer'.

WHO stated that no herd immunity will be reached during 2021 and all the containing measures and restrictions should be held in place. Masks, distancing (with possible cancellation of events even during the summer) will be with us for a few months more.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-herd-immunity-will-not-happen-in-2021-says-who/a-56197701

This seems to match what the Italian Special Commissioner for the COVID Emergency said two days ago.
    He said that according to the current projections, only half of the Italian population will receive the vaccine by December 2021, opposite to the previous prevision of having 75% of people vaccinated before October.
    I think it has to do with the delays of vaccine supplies we encountered so far.

WHO stated that no herd immunity will be reached during 2021 and all the containing measures and restrictions should be held in place. Masks, distancing (with possible cancellation of events even during the summer) will be with us for a few months more.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-herd-immunity-will-not-happen-in-2021-says-who/a-56197701

This seems to match what the Italian Special Commissioner for the COVID Emergency said two days ago.
    He said that according to the current projections, only half of the Italian population will receive the vaccine by December 2021, opposite to the previous prevision of having 75% of people vaccinated before October.
    I think it has to do with the delays of vaccine supplies we encountered so far.

No global "herd immunity". Countries with established vaccine supply will

snotboogie wrote: »
    The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is developed by Janssen, a Belgian company. The EU have a bigger order in than the US. It is in no way an America first vaccine. The timelines for vaccines who have not released phase 3 data are pure estimates.

Janssen is a fully owned subsidiary of J&J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    From the daily thread

NI has one of the best roll-outs in the world right now

One island. Two very different roll-outs
    One word - supply. Why is everything about this pandemic a competition? Strikes me some people would find fault with only 1m vaccinations a week

No global "herd immunity". Countries with established vaccine supply will

Right, but in a global lifestyle, the virus will keep moving from country to country.
    And certain countries, even the more civilized and advanced ones, might be much slower than others, despite an established supply chain.

is_that_so wrote: »
    One word - supply. Why is everything about this pandemic a competition? Strikes me some people would find fault with only 1m vaccinations a week

It depends where this 1 million is achieved.
    In a small country, 1m a week is an outstanding result, in a very large country, 1m a week is just ridiculous.

It depends where this 1 million is achieved.
    In a small country, 1m a week is an outstanding result, in a very large country, 1m a week is just ridiculous.
    Not my point at all. It's people finding fault with everything no matter how well it's done.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not my point at all. It's people finding fault with everything no matter how well it's done.

Alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Politico.eu has a vaccination tracker, % of population vaccinated, regularly updated.

Irish data still not updated, it may be received weekly due to way the HSE or MoH report aggregate data.

https://infogram.com/table-covid-vaccination-tracker-1hnp27mm7womn2g

Someone said earlier on the thread that the data isn't good quality, that is true but it's the best we have to scrutinise the Government and demand accountability and performance. Better than no data. Transparency is good for the public, the Government can't hide and manipulate. Oh how the Ministers and the HSE hate transparency, they can't hide that well with it!

Let's watch that table. Give it a few weeks and then we can start comparing, criticising and drive the Government to deliver.

The order of the countries will change for sure and most will aggregate towards a similar average result over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wonder will Germany prod the EMA's review along, as they seemed to have with the Pfizer vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Makes perfect sense.

Does it? When this was suggested last week a few comments I heard was - I will assume a cold and isolate but not get tested.

Does it? When this was suggested last week a few comments I heard was - I will assume a cold and isolate but not get tested.

I was commenting on the suggestion that people who have been confirmed positive will be asked to delay their vaccinations as there is strong evidence they will have immunity already

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ixoy wrote: »
    I wonder will Germany prod the EMA's review along, as they seemed to have with the Pfizer vaccine.

Doubt it, application in yesterday, review decision in 2 weeks time, fairly quick.

Cork2021 wrote: »

I think we need to temper expections on this one.

While one shot may well be proven to provide good efficiency and be found safe, it wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait slightly longer and see what the 2 dose regime comes in with and go from there, but it all depends on the one dose data.

However it's all ifs and buts until the one dose data is published. If its good, expect an application to go in during the course of February probably

Doubt it, application in yesterday, review decision in 2 weeks time, fairly quick.

Patience has worked! All going well by the middle of February we’ll be hopefully administering 4 vaccines! That’ll be huge!

• Advertisement

I think we need to temper expections on this one.

While one shot may well be proven to provide good efficiency and be found safe, it wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait slightly longer and see what the 2 dose regime comes in with and go from there, but it all depends on the one dose data.

However it's all ifs and buts until the one dose data is published. If its good, expect an application to go in during the course of February probably

If one shot gives over 70% efficacy i think that’s a go. Especially for the younger generations and propels without underlying conditions. Hold onto Pfizer and moderna for the most vulnerable and AstraZeneca to the general population as wel

If one shot gives over 70% efficacy i think that’s a go. Especially for the younger generations and propels without underlying conditions. Hold onto Pfizer and moderna for the most vulnerable and AstraZeneca to the general population as wel

Yeah absolutely if the effiency is proven then it'll be massive, we'll have a pool of vaccines available with continuing supply lines.

Yeah absolutely if the effiency is proven then it'll be massive, we'll have a pool of vaccines available with continuing supply lines.

It looks as if they are confident of good efficacy levels if they intend to apply for EUA soon after releasing data!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It looks as if they are confident of good efficacy levels if they intend to apply for EUA soon after releasing data!

They have a second trial (2 shot regimen). A big part of me was suspecting they would wait for that but if they can apply after the one shot reports it will be great news.

They have a second trial (2 shot regimen). A big part of me was suspecting they would wait for that but if they can apply after the one shot reports it will be great news.
    As a matter of curiosity how might that work? If they got approval for a single shot would the process for 2 shots be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

McGiver wrote: »
    Politico.eu has a vaccination tracker, % of population vaccinated, regularly updated.

Irish data still not updated, it may be received weekly due to way the HSE or MoH report aggregate data.

https://infogram.com/table-covid-vaccination-tracker-1hnp27mm7womn2g

Someone said earlier on the thread that the data isn't good quality, that is true but it's the best we have to scrutinise the Government and demand accountability and performance. Better than no data. Transparency is good for the public, the Government can't hide and manipulate. Oh how the Ministers and the HSE hate transparency, they can't hide that well with it!

Let's watch that table. Give it a few weeks and then we can start comparing, criticising and drive the Government to deliver.

The order of the countries will change for sure and most will aggregate towards a similar average result over time.

The best tracker I've seen so far is the Bloomberg one: http://bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/ (scroll down for EU). I like how it also keep track of the vaccine approval/allocation and it's not limited to USA/EU vaccines.

All the trackers I've seen use ~15k vaccination for Ireland, which is the last official number released (you can't really put "we have exceeded the target" on a graph), so it looks kinda bad, but luckily it's just a number on a table, nothing more.

Honestly I think the Government/HSE was not transparent enough when we started vaccination, but seems to be changing and fast. We're getting weekly data now, and I'm sure we'll get (approximate) daily data soon-ish. Ministers are talking more about the plan and how it's going.

I'd say it could be higher. They have very good data from Phase I-II. They also use a prefusion stabilized spike protein just like Pfizer and Moderna. I'd wouldn't be surprised to see 80% plus even with the one dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

jcon1913 wrote: »
    People need to read their emails- simple really. This “I’m special I need special treatment “ just isn’t going to wash

Sorry this is rubbish, the waste of time spent by clinicians reading emails is staggering, and it is a dereliction to say "I sent it in an email" it reflects a lazy narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I was commenting on the suggestion that people who have been confirmed positive will be asked to delay their vaccinations as there is strong evidence they will have immunity already

Absolutely - but would you get tested if that means you end up at the back of the queue and are precluded from travel etc. Without a vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

It will help people who are paying mortgages who are on 350 euro a week . But they are just sh!t on a shoe to the elite .

Im sure the late late show appearance helped them though
    Who are the “elite”? Sounds like some of the language that tricked people into ruining their lives by running up the steps of the Capitol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement