Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I was commenting on the suggestion that people who have been confirmed positive will be asked to delay their vaccinations as there is strong evidence they will have immunity already

Anyway this assumption sounds weird and only used to delay and save some doses of vaccine, because a few months ago it was said that the natural immunity from covid was to last very few months, three at most.

Feels like they are trying to tailor the data and reality on their daily needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Do all the vaccines work in the same way?

Will it be as effective giving a 1/4 of the population vaccine a , 1/4 vaccine b etc vs all of the population vasccine a?

Or is there more scope for the virus to jump through the cracks as the vaccines are not doing the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Has anyone seen any indications of what volumnes of AstraZeneca and J&J vaccies we'll be getting in Ireland?

I've seen articles saying we'll have 40k Pfizer a week which should increase, but very low numbers of Moderna untill at least the summer and as we clearly need far more than that - I'm trying to figure out if AstraZeneca and/or J&J can provide a significant boost over the next month(ish) should they get approved?

Anyway this assumption sounds weird and only used to delay and save some doses of vaccine, because a few months ago it was said that the natural immunity from covid was to last very few months, three at most.

Feels like they are trying to tailor the data and reality on their daily needs.

A few months ago they would only say there was evidence of immunity for a few months, not that immunity would only last a few months, because there was only a few few months data, now we have millions of people who have had the virus up to 10 months ago, so the evidence for sustained immunity is stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Has anyone seen any indications of what volumnes of AstraZeneca and J&J vaccies we'll be getting in Ireland?

I've seen articles saying we'll have 40k Pfizer a week which should increase, but very low numbers of Moderna untill at least the summer and as we clearly need far more than that - I'm trying to figure out if AstraZeneca and/or J&J can provide a significant boost over the next month(ish) should they get approved?

EU have orders of 300 million for AZ with options for another 100 million and 200 million on order from Janssen with options for another 200 million. Ireland will likely end up getting 4 million+ of each (depending on the effectiveness of Janssen).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

snotboogie wrote: »
    EU have orders of 300 million for AZ with options for another 100 million and 200 million on order from Janssen with options for another 200 million. Ireland will likely end up getting 4 million+ of each (depending on the effectiveness of Janssen).

Thanks - do we know how quickly they can provide stock?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A few months ago they would only say there was evidence of immunity for a few months, not that immunity would only last a few months
    Exactly but this was very poorly reported by some, such as RTE. Instead of saying: "Natural immunity lasts at least three months", it was made as if it only lasted up to three months.

I'm curious if they'll get buy in on not vaccinating people who had Covid. I suspect they'll just ask those people if they wouldn't mind waiting and that will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Varadkar said 10K for Moderna and AstraZeneca might be at 40K initially - potentially 100K a week. There is, however, a potential supply chain issue there as one of manufacturers is in India and they'd prioritise local supplies first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

A few months ago they would only say there was evidence of immunity for a few months, not that immunity would only last a few months, because there was only a few few months data, now we have millions of people who have had the virus up to 10 months ago, so the evidence for sustained immunity is stronger

So it could be even longer than 3 or 6 months, but they will tell us this in a year time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

carq wrote: »
    Do all the vaccines work in the same way?

Will it be as effective giving a 1/4 of the population vaccine a , 1/4 vaccine b etc vs all of the population vasccine a?

Or is there more scope for the virus to jump through the cracks as the vaccines are not doing the same thing?
    All vaccines don't work the same way, but there are unlikely to be "cracks" where the virus can jump between hosts depending on how they were vaccinated.

At the end of the day, vaccines produce same the general result - an immune system that knows how to kill the virus quickly. There are still some open questions about how long immunity lasts, which could differ between the vaccines. But we won't know for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

AstraZeneca - 90k per week.
    BioNtech - 100k+ per week from March. 150k+ from April.
    J&J - 60k. Hopefully available in March/April timeframe. (If that is a single dose then it is effectively 120k of the other vaccines)
    Curevac - 40k from April.

That is 1.36m per month. If all goes well with AZ/J&J/Curevac then it might be more doses than we can administer. As BioNtech is the most demanding we could end up using less of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

So it could be even longer than 3 or 6 months, but they will tell us this in a year time.

Sars covid 1 which is a similar virus has up to 17 years immunity so far.

"SARS-CoV-1 reactive T cells were found in SARS patients 17 years after infection"

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

How can you make a definitive statement when a specific timeframe hasn't elapsed? When people reach a year post-COVID they will be able to provide immunity data on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

eoinbn wrote: »
    AstraZeneca - 90k per week.
    BioNtech - 100k+ per week from March. 150k+ from April.
    J&J - 60k. Hopefully available in March/April timeframe. (If that is a single dose then it is effectively 120k of the other vaccines)
    Curevac - 40k from April.

That is 1.36m per month. If all goes well with AZ/J&J/Curevac then it might be more doses than we can administer. As BioNtech is the most demanding we could end up using less of that.

If this all goes to plan , there should be no reason why we cant have a great summer ?

If this all goes to plan , there should be no reason why we cant have a great summer ?
    Autumn! I'd be less sanguine about summer but at very least we'll be looking at the the end of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Depends on where you want to go. Might not be a good idea going to somewhere that doesnt vaccinate and may be locked down.

Let's say more of a meaningful summer than a great summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Trolls eventually p***s of when they aren’t fed.

Back on topic. I think the WHO are commenting on immunity of the world as a whole. Ireland by the autumn will be a very different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Depends on where you want to go. Might not be a good idea going to somewhere that doesnt vaccinate and may be locked down.

Yes, best case scenario is a national or local European holiday like last summer only with falling case numbers.... Basically, the race will be on to innoculate the world population to eradicate Covid-19 lest it mutate too much and bite us in the arse again next Christmas.

We will also have to monitor infection worldwide and make a less than half-arsed attempt to protect our progress thus far against further outbreaks of mutations or indeed further zoonotic diseases (just like with the many other outbreaks of novel diseases of the last 20 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

With the good news on the Astrazenaca EMA submission, anyone got any idea what the efficacy results are like from the most recent trials? I understand they were trying to get more robust data on the half dose/full dose regimen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Stark wrote: »
    With the good news on the Astrazenaca EMA submission, anyone got any idea what the efficacy results are like from the most recent trials? I understand they were trying to get more robust data on the half dose/full dose regimen.
    The data from the UK regulator showed 80% using FD/FD. Their paper suggested it was the longer length of time between doses which caused the difference in efficacy, and not the HD/FD combination. They've gone with FD/FD and a longer gap between doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Trolls eventually p***s of when they aren’t fed.

Back on topic. I think the WHO are commenting on immunity of the world as a whole. Ireland by the autumn will be a very different place.

Absolutely, as they have to look at things globally. I'm pretty sure we'll be in a good place domestically come summer (and throughout much of EU/UK), but we may struggle to travel outside of this without a vaccine passport. This is nothing new as it already happens in certain countries with malaria etc.. it'll just be on a wider scale for the foreseeable.

I'd be happy out not to travel this year if it meant everything else was back to normal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Stark wrote: »

The original half dose full dose trial was people who received a single half dose during safety trials and then months later after safety trials were passed they got a second dose full dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I didnt even mean going away . Just restrictions here eased .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

hmmm wrote: »
    They've gone with FD/FD and a longer gap between doses.

Is it up to the company to apply for a certain dosing regimen, or is it up to the EMA to recommend a regimen if there are a number of alternatives in the trial data ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Le Bruise wrote: »

I'd be happy out not to travel this year if it meant everything else was back to normal!!

I’m not into any sun holidays or travelling but i have family in the USA that i visit twice a year for the last 15 years. A big change not being able to see them. I’m just hoping the roll out of the vaccines will begin to start creating a pathway back there within a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m not into any sun holidays or travelling but i have family in the USA that i visit twice a year for the last 15 years. A big change not being able to see them. I’m just hoping the roll out of the vaccines will begin to start creating a pathway back there within a year or so.

USA are fairly ramping up their vaccinations now too (after a slow start), so fingers crossed you'll get to see them before year end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm very interested in how the additional AstraZeneca trial will work out. There is a lot of emphasis placed on the time between doses in the discussion around its efficacy, but there's also the adenovirus vector that could also be a factor in the puzzling phase 3 results.

The sputnik vaccine uses a different viral vector in its 2nd dose compared to the 1st dose, and this might offer benefits over the existing AstraZeneca approach.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-astrazeneca-announcing-clinical-trial-programme-to-assess-combination-of-the-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-and-the-sputnik-v-vaccine/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

Traumadoc wrote: »

Sorry this is rubbish, the waste of time spent by clinicians reading emails is staggering, and it is a dereliction to say "I sent it in an email" it reflects a lazy narrative.

If that was rubbish I have no idea what this means

People have spam filters and check emails on break what's the big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

afatbollix wrote: »
    I've just been emailed about joining the J&J phase III trial.

It's for a 2 shot trial.

It will be interesting what the % is for 1 shot is.

Since more news is coming out about J&J. They are on month 3 of the 2 shot trail.

Good news is I've been approved for the 2 shot trail. I'm getting my first stot of the J&J one tomorrow.

I'll be monitored for 2 years after the shot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement