Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

afatbollix wrote: »
    Since more news is coming out about J&J.
    Good news is I've been approved for the 2 shot trail. I'm getting my first stot of the J&J one tomorrow.

I'll be monitored for 2 years after the shot.

That's great. Is that trial available to people in Ireland? Is there a 25% chance of you receiving a placebo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

Refrigeration will be a challenge for all of africa will it not

Important in our rush to vaccinate ourselves that we consider others, it's in our interest

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

Wesekn. wrote: »
    Refrigeration will be a challenge for all of africa will it not

Important in our rush to vaccinate ourselves that we consider others, it's in our interest

What an outdated view of Africa. Yes it will be a challenge for SOME of Africa but it is not considerate of Africa to throw a whole continent in one bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wesekn. wrote: »
    If that was rubbish I have no idea what this means

People have spam filters and check emails on break what's the big deal
    Even if you filter them into folders it depends on how many you get. I used to get 300 emails a day in one job, none of them spam. A lot were just automated system emails but you still had to check them anyway. What you do is also a key factor. If it's largely not email-dependent you can get lax at going through them and they really build up very fast.

tfeldi wrote: »
    What an outdated view of Africa. Yes it will be a challenge for SOME of Africa but it is not considerate of Africa to throw a whole continent in one bucket.
    It's a challenge for many countries anyway and Oxford is a far more attractive option.

• Advertisement

tfeldi wrote: »

You misinterpreted my post

When I said all of africa I mean to complete the job

The refrigeration will be a challenge in some areas

Took africa years to get drug testing going

Refrigerating and transporting the samples was a big part of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

My uncle is a nursing assistant and he got vaccinated this morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Great to hear these personal vaccination stories, as it makes the light at the end of the tunnel within grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Kivaro wrote: »
    Great to hear these personal vaccination stories, as it makes the light at the end of the tunnel within grasp.

My sister had her first dose on Sunday. Bon Secour in Cork.

• Advertisement

conor_mc wrote: »
    My sister had her first dose on Sunday. Bon Secour in Cork.

Yeah should mention my uncle is in the orthopedic in Cork. Cork is flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Something I'm curious about. Everyone in groups 1 and 2 should have received their first dose by January 24th according to Donnelly. Does that mean group 3 can start receiving their first doses in the last week of January, or do they need those doses to start giving the people who were vaccinated at the start of January their second dose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Yeah should mention my uncle is in the orthopedic in Cork. Cork is flying!

It's certainly flying in Cork all right. My wife is a Dublin nurse and has just had her vaccination appointment postponed for the second time. It's handy having the Taoiseach in your constituency.

Stark wrote: »
    Something I'm curious about. Everyone in groups 1 and 2 should have received their first dose by January 24th according to Donnelly. Does that mean group 3 can start receiving their first doses in the last week of January, or do they need those doses to start giving the people who were vaccinated at the start of January their second dose?
    Seems they'll do 1 & 2 completely first. Group 3 is the first big group , probably around 200K and that will use GPs, pharmacies etc. for rollout.

polesheep wrote: »
    It's certainly flying in Cork all right. My wife is a Dublin nurse and has just had her vaccination appointment postponed for the second time. It's handy having the Taoiseach in your constituency.

Ah I didn't know that, sorry dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,590 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

afatbollix wrote: »
    Since more news is coming out about J&J. They are on month 3 of the 2 shot trail.

Good news is I've been approved for the 2 shot trail. I'm getting my first stot of the J&J one tomorrow.

I'll be monitored for 2 years after the shot.

Thanks for being a guinea pig for the rest of us fat bollixes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Ah I didn't know that, sorry dude!

She's not stressed about it. Never been ill a day of her life. But the roll-out does seem suspiciously uneven.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So, all going well, we'll have nursing homes done a week early, just in time for astra, so an increased number of doses will be available earlier.........

I'm not going to lie, I'm excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

hynesie08 wrote: »

I'm not going to lie, I'm excited.

The wattage of the bulb at the end of the tunnel has certainly increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

polesheep wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, and I can very much relate. The lack of obvious rationale for which hospitals are sorted first is pretty frustrating for me as I said before. Even something like "we pick acute hospitals in order of local disease prevalence and freezer availability" would give everyone a fair picture of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I see the EMA have set the date for the AstraZeneca meeting for the 29th of January. I wonder will there be pressure to bring this forward again like with the other 2 vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

People who have had Covid-19 may be asked to postpone getting vaccinated for six months. The news comes amid mounting evidence that previously infected people have protection, the chair of the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) has said.

Official guidance currently states vaccines should be offered regardless of whether people were previously infected, but this may change, Professor Karina Butler, Chair of the NIAC, told the Irish Independent.

“There is a suggestion coming out that if you have had Covid you might be fairly well protected for six months and in that case we might find the advice will change and it will say, ‘if you have had Covid, wait the six months and then get it (the vaccine),’” said Prof Butler.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/people-who-had-covid-may-be-asked-to-postpone-their-vaccination-by-six-months-39958690.html

That could certainly help things along

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

marno21 wrote: »
    I see the EMA have set the date for the AstraZeneca meeting for the 29th of January. I wonder will there be pressure to bring this forward again like with the other 2 vaccines.

Is all the data already submitted?

I'd say there will be pressure alright to get any vaccines approved asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Is all the data already submitted?

I'd say there will be pressure alright to get any vaccines approved asap

They submitted last night or this morning I think.

Whether it's enough data? Only the regulators can say.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    People who have had Covid-19 may be asked to postpone getting vaccinated for six months. The news comes amid mounting evidence that previously infected people have protection, the chair of the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) has said.

Official guidance currently states vaccines should be offered regardless of whether people were previously infected, but this may change, Professor Karina Butler, Chair of the NIAC, told the Irish Independent.

“There is a suggestion coming out that if you have had Covid you might be fairly well protected for six months and in that case we might find the advice will change and it will say, ‘if you have had Covid, wait the six months and then get it (the vaccine),’” said Prof Butler.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/people-who-had-covid-may-be-asked-to-postpone-their-vaccination-by-six-months-39958690.html

That could certainly help things along

Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

is_that_so wrote: »
    As a matter of curiosity how might that work? If they got approval for a single shot would the process for 2 shots be any different?

As far as I know if it's a different dosage you need to satisfy the regulators again but I'm not certain.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cork2021 wrote: »
    But what about Israel?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm wondering if I can do a vaccination holiday in Tel-Aviv once it becomes generally available there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Wife vaccinated on Sunday (first dose of Pfizer BioNTech), she is a Radiographer in UHL.

As people have said it's great to know people that have received it. We're keeping the patient information leaflets, I'm sure people will be interested to see them in decades to come when they're learning about this in school. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement