Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

We're keeping the patient information leaflets, ahen they're learning about this in school. :)

It's crazy to think that it'll probably be a huge topic in history books in years to come. Surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

funnydoggy wrote: »
    It's crazy to think that it'll probably be a huge topic in history books in years to come. Surreal

Said as much to the missus when watching the US insurrection on TV during Covid lockdown."Jesus, imagine in 10 years time when the kids are learning modern history, they'll be learning about what we are living through right now, incredible times". Her response was "it's not that out of the ordinary though".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

Will the frontline nurses and doctors dealing with Covid patients still need to wear the full PPE gear after they've been vaccinated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

funnydoggy wrote: »

Maybe or maybe not. The Spanish flu barely gets a mention in most 20th century history books

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

josip wrote: »
    Will the frontline nurses and doctors dealing with Covid patients still need to wear the full PPE gear after they've been vaccinated?

Prob because of transmission risk

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

josip wrote: »
    I would assume so. The vaccines are there to prevent you getting ill from Covid but their effect on transmitting it isn't fully clear yet and certainly not to the level you'd stop using PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Traumadoc wrote: »

Sorry this is rubbish, the waste of time spent by clinicians reading emails is staggering, and it is a dereliction to say "I sent it in an email" it reflects a lazy narrative.

Yes lazy. Hmmm.

Handwritten notes are better- but not efficient. Maybe handwritten notes hand-delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Cork2021 wrote: »

12th in the entire world. That should shut a lot of people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

froog wrote: »

Why aren't we top 10........ Sick of this joke of a country......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ShyMets wrote: »
    Maybe or maybe not. The Spanish flu barely gets a mention in most 20th century history books
    There was something else pretty big happening at the same time :pac:

To be fair, this is easily the largest global event to have occurred since WW2.

There have been many big events, but none that have impacted so widely and harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Quite like the herd immunity calculator in the responses to that tweet.

https://observablehq.com/@shabouwcaw/herd-immunity-timeline-calculator-with-country-selector

Would be very interesting to overlay case numbers on that to take into account the immunity built up in the population already. It could also do with taking into account the slower start and a gradual wind up of vaccinations as volumes of the already approved vaccines increase and new vaccines get approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

OH got vaccinated today. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 oharach7

froog wrote: »

That chart is a bit misleading - several countries which are ahead of Ireland have been turned off in the "Add country" feature. I'm not suggesting Fergal Bowers did this deliberately as the default setting is that only certain countries are shown unless the others are manually added to keep the chart readable.

Ireland is actually in 18th place worldwide, and 11th in EU (maybe 12th as Portugal haven't reported for a few days), rather than 12th place worldwide and 7th in EU.

Not bad but could do better.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

GPs are unhappy with the HSE's rollout:

https://www.independent.ie/news/worried-gps-overlooked-for-covid-19-vaccine-as-hse-online-system-to-register-for-jab-suffers-setback-39960157.html

It's an interesting point as they are front-line workers exposed to ill patients. When they see people getting the vaccine who aren't even working in hospitals currently it must be very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah that's not showing Bahrain and UAE for example, both of whom are doing very well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Why aren't we top 10........ Sick of this joke of a country......

We aren't, there are a number of countries filtered out of that graph. If you go to the website and plug in all countries we are 18th, just over halfway up the table of the countries who have started vaccinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

These graphs didn't matter yesterday

Today they do because we are top 10

Now counties are filtered back in we are middle to bottom they don't matter again. It's early sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

oharach7 wrote: »
    That chart is a bit misleading - several countries which are ahead of Ireland have been turned off in the "Add country" feature. I'm not suggesting Fergal Bowers did this deliberately as the default setting is that only certain countries are shown unless the others are manually added to keep the chart readable.

Ireland is actually in 18th place worldwide, and 11th in EU (maybe 12th as Portugal haven't reported for a few days), rather than 12th place worldwide and 7th in EU.

Not bad but could do better.

It's also based on 35,000 total doses.
    I think the aim last week alone was 35k and they exceeded that. Also was there not ~4k done the week before that?
    We won't know until they start releasing daily figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ixoy wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/news/worried-gps-overlooked-for-covid-19-vaccine-as-hse-online-system-to-register-for-jab-suffers-setback-39960157.html

It's an interesting point as they are front-line workers exposed to ill patients. When they see people getting the vaccine who aren't even working in hospitals currently it must be very frustrating.

Are GPs not being vaccinated? They were vaccinating GPs in Cork last weekend it was on the news?
    https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1347913652758724608?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Have they published how many have been vaccinated so far yet? Where are they going to be putting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

This struck me "Some GPs have managed to get vaccinated thanks to the generosity of local hospitals on an ad hoc basis-basically they had some spare vaccines. Local GPs took some initiative and they got sorted out ."

How is this being tracked? is the central database of vaccinated individuals that was mentioned in early December actually being kept or is this shortly going to become a free for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

i have had a couple of mind-boggling discussions with people about the vaccine. Educated people, who I had previously believed were sensible. Both of them stated that they wouldn't allow their children to take the vaccine because of the narcolepsy issues with the swine flu vaccine.

I think there may be an issue in uptake, but I am purely relying on anecdotal evidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

If you link vaccines to travel, attendance at sporting events/concerts, ability to book a restaurant etc then many more people will get over their reluctance imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

D9Male wrote: »
    i have had a couple of mind-boggling discussions with people about the vaccine. Educated people, who I had previously believed were sensible. Both of them stated that they wouldn't allow their children to take the vaccine because of the narcolepsy issues with the swine flu vaccine.

I think there may be an issue in uptake, but I am purely relying on anecdotal evidence!

I definitely won’t be front in line with my kids either and I am not anti vaccine.
    I will take it myself but as far as kids are concerned it’s too early in my eyes and I haven’t noticed any large trials for children either, bar the one for 12 year olds and over? I didn’t look either but haven’t come across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

D9Male wrote: »

Well I don't have children. If I did I wouldn't allow them to be vaccinated because none of the vaccines have done a trial to see if their vaccine is safe, works and is effective on children.

There's a reason the government aren't planning on vaccinating children at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's true

Kids are at the back of the line afaik?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One GP with a feisty opinion! Wish media would stop digging these people up. If you have an issue go to people who can fix it, rather than venting. Primary target for these few weeks is care homes. They'll get to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's true

Kids are at the back of the line afaik?

Back of the line with iirc a note thay they will only be vaccinated if evidence demonstrates that it works and is safe for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Well I don't have children. If I did I wouldn't allow them to be vaccinated because none of the vaccines have done a trial to see if their vaccine is safe, works and is effective on children.

There's a reason the government aren't planning on vaccinating children at the moment.

Are any trials on children planned?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement