Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

lbj666 wrote: »
    Ireland (100k Doses) per month December January February March April May June
    Pfizer 37* 155.4 177.6 296 370 444 444
    Moderna* 7.4 51.8 51.8 111 148 148
    Astra Zeneca 370 296 296 444 666
    Curevac 148 148 148 148
    Janssenn J&J* 222 148 222
    Total (per Month) 37 162.8 599.4 791.8 1147 1332 1628
    Total (Cumulative) 37 199.8 799.2 1591 2738 4070 5698

If you assume we will be following france supply wise and prorate (7.4% the population they have), these are the projections.

A few off numbers there such as Pfizer in december and modernas initial supply i think will be less, still a little in the dark about curevac but J&J is now likely to get us a good bit sooner than April.

Not sure that accounts for the extra 300m that the EU has ordered from BioNTech. 1/4 of that will be in Q2.
    To meet their own targets BioNtech/Pfizer need to be supplying ~600k per month by May/June at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There are certainly some doing their best on here trying to downplay any sort of normality to return post vaccine. I have seen less crap in a sewer works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Micky 32 wrote: »
    There are certainly some doing their best on here trying to downplay any sort of normality to return post vaccine. I have seen less crap in a sewer works.

I hope to jaysus it does return to normal as I’ve a holiday that was booked for last June, deferred to this July so I hope it goes back to normal.
    That doesn’t mean we can’t discuss the possibility of living with restrictions post vaccine for an extended period.
    Prepare for the worst hope for the best.

tom1ie wrote: »
    I hope to jaysus it does return to normal as I’ve a holiday that was booked for last June, deferred to this July so I hope it goes back to normal.
    That doesn’t mean we can’t discuss the possibility of living with restrictions post vaccine for an extended period.

I agree we have to be a little cautious for a while but it’s stupid questions like should we go to the pub if there’s old people in there lol. If we are at the stage the pub is open i’m quite sure the old people are vaccinated if they are in there in the first place. If they are anti vaxxers they should stay at home if they are afraid to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I reckon you'll be going on that holiday tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I tend to agree, but it might depend on the destination rather than this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I agree we have to be a little cautious for a while but it’s stupid questions like should we go to the pub if there’s old people in there lol. If we are at the stage the pub is open i’m quite sure the old people are vaccinated if they are in there in the first place. If they are anti vaxxers they should stay at home if they are afraid to get it.

Maybe pubs should open at that point but ID required to be over 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

With a bit of luck I really hope so.
    I hope everybody gets to go on their holidays and put this ****e behind us, still it’s good to balance the discussion though.

With a bit of luck I really hope so.
    I hope everybody gets to go on their holidays and put this ****e behind us, still it’s good to balance the discussion though.

The thing to be weary about is if the destination adopts a vaccination policy and if that happened will the younger crowd get the vaccine by June. But i have a feeling you’ll get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

For anyone who has already had the vaccine - are you getting evidence that you had it? If it becomes required to access any type of service or for travel in future, is that going to be possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

The problem will be not in the supply of the vaccine but in the ability of the HSE to roll it out efficiently
    I can see a scenario where we will have hundreds of thousands of vaccines in the country in storage and not in peoples arms
    The HSE have known since last March that a vaccine was the only way out of this and yet
    Not enough vaccinators trained ,GPs have not yet been asked to sign up to train online
    No mass vaccination centres organized yet
    Paperwork still slow around consent forms
    No realistic logistical plan in place for storage
    Computer and IT systems not able to cope with a double dose system
    My own opinion is that the Gov is waiting on the mass rollout of the Oxford and Johnson and Johnson vaccines as these are considerably cheaper than Moderns and Pfizer
    If anyone else can give me a more realistic answer as to why the HSE are making a complete and utter balls up of this I would be much obliged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Cork2021 wrote: »

UAE has vaccinated over 10% of their population already, but I'm not seeing them on this

They're using mostly the Chinese vaccine. Is this list above just covering Pfizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

brisan wrote: »
    The problem will be not in the supply of the vaccine but in the ability of the HSE to roll it out efficiently
    I can see a scenario where we will have hundreds of thousands of vaccines in the country in storage and not in peoples arms
    The HSE have known since last March that a vaccine was the only way out of this and yet
    Not enough vaccinators trained ,GPs have not yet been asked to sign up to train online
    My own opinion is that the Gov is waiting on the mass rollout of the Oxford and Johnson and Johnson vaccines as these are considerably cheaper than Moderns and Pfizer
    If anyone else can give me a more realistic answer as to why the HSE are making a complete and utter balls up of this I would be much obliged

Yeah, 1 and 2 don't equals 3 in this scenario....

A thousand percent agree

But, going by some of their defenders here, there's to be no calling out of the HSE in this thread apparently

No siree

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, 1 and 2 don't equals 3 in this scenario....

Care to expand
    I gave my reasons surely you can give yours
    Give it 2 months and see how far behind he rest of the EU we are with the roll out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

For anyone who has already had the vaccine - are you getting evidence that you had it? If it becomes required to access any type of service or for travel in future, is that going to be possible?

You get a vaccination record card with the date and batch number on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Care to expand
    I gave my reasons surely you can give yours

No you gave your opinion......

But mass vaccination centres, gps and pharmacists, expanded vaccination hours will all be rolled out when we have the dosage capacity........

It's really not that complicated....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Was just coming on to ask about holidays. Would September be realistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No but if it's done like the flu vaccine you'll get a card with name, date, batch number of vaccine embossed and nurse signature.

A pandemic is the term for the prevalence of a disease not the behavior towards same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

No but if it's done like the flu vaccine you'll get a card with name, date, batch number of vaccine embossed and nurse signature.

I've had the flu vaccine every year since it began and have never been given a record of it.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I've had the flu vaccine every year since it began and have never been given a record of it.

Was it given in hospital, clinic or pharmacy?

Was it given in hospital, clinic or pharmacy?

All three at one time or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I had the flu vaccine in a pharmacy for the last 4 years and each time given a card with batch number date and time

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Have to wait until the middle of February for the 1st delivery ffs. How coincidental that coincides with the UK government's 'target'.

The European Medicines Agency announced on Tuesday that it is now studying the results of the AstraZeneca and Oxford University vaccine under an "accelerated timeline" and could issue its opinion as early as January 29. This jab is being rolled out in the United Kingdom since early January.

"If we were to have a successful authorization for the AstraZeneca contract… we hope that two weeks after that authorization, AstraZeneca would be able to give the first delivery," Sandra Gallina, director-general for health and food safety at the European Commission told lawmakers on Tuesday morning.

"And they are thinking of I'd say two deliveries a month, but this is all in the making, they need to discuss this with the member states," she added.

The EU has a contract with AstraZeneca to buy up to 400 million doses of its vaccine. One of its benefits is that it can be stored in normal fridges rather than at extremely low temperatures like some of its competitors. However, this jab has also been under some criticism after the manufacturers admitted an error in late November, which was then corrected.

This would be the third vaccine approval in the EU to contain the pandemic. The bloc has been vaccinating citizens with the Pfizer/BioNTech jab since late December and the Moderna vaccine received a greenlight for distribution last week.

Gallina told lawmakers that the first Moderna jabs have started being distributed across member states on Monday.

Nonetheless, the European Commission has been blamed for what critics describe as a slow rollout of coronavirus vaccines. Finland's Prime Minister Sanna Marin sent a letter to the commission on Monday urging the institution to speed up the distribution of the vaccines.

"It puzzles me again the debate on why didn't we buy more," Gallina, who has been the chief negotiator with the pharma companies, said.

"We bought as much as it was offered," she explained.

"It is not just quantities that you negotiate, you negotiate a specific quantity for that moment so we have all the quantities that can be produced," Gallina added.

The speed of vaccination has differed across the 27 countries in part due to red tape and lack of preparedness by some governments.

According to Gallina, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control will provide figures on how many citizens have been vaccinated across the EU twice a week starting next week.

Shares of AstraZeneca dropped in early trade in Europe.

All three at one time or another.

Odd I've always got one. The card is pre printed for the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Odd I've always got one.

Me too . And everyone I know has

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No you gave your opinion......

But mass vaccination centres, gps and pharmacists, expanded vaccination hours will all be rolled out when we have the dosage capacity........

It's really not that complicated....

Have you any proof of that
    Got a link you could share
    Any mas vaccination centers booked ?
    Any idea when GPs will be asked to enroll for online training because as of yet only a tiny percentage have been asked
    Its not complicated when you pull figures and facts out of a hat with no back up

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I had the flu vaccine in a pharmacy for the last 4 years and each time given a card with batch number date and time

Never happened with me or my wife. Maybe it's dependent on where you live, the HSE doesn't have uniform policy nationwide on lots of things, as we've found to our cost over the years.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Was just coming on to ask about holidays. Would September be realistic?

Depends

Are you looking at CourtTown or Crete? ;-)

I think travel between EU countries will be very open and even relatively safe (compared to now)

But I can't see places like South East Asia (Thailand etc) letting tourists fully back in till 2022. They've worked too hard to keep their numbers very low

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement