Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Le Bruise wrote: »
    He's fairly enthusiastic about all things positive to be fair...it's the reason I like listening to him!!

He gets a bad rap in parts of this forum but I love his energy and enthusiasm. Reading his book now, he's very funny too.

Apologies if someone has already asked this, but do we know if the super dangerous Brazil variant can bypass these vaccines? Some worrying posts on Twitter about this new variant
    Edit only seeing above post now ��

I'm not able to answer the question as I'm just a layman, but I do know from experience that most of Twitter should be ignored when it comes to COVID :)

Nearly gave myself a banger during lockdown 1 when I browsed Twitter. Nothing is ever as bad as it's made out to be there IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Miike wrote: »
    They will all still need to social distance, wear masks and follow all the usual public health advice. We do not know if this vaccine stops you transmitting the virus. We only have data demonstrating prevention of severe disease.

Data today showing high confidence it prevents transmission as well.

Sure is starting to feel like the final battle of Avengers Endgame. Thanos is COVID, his "disciples" are the variants and the vaccines/treatments are the cavalry (don't want to spoil it too much).

Can you tell I don't get out much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Apologies if asked/answered already but are we still going ahead with giving the second vaccine after the 3 weeks. Would that mean those who received it on the 29th get second dose next Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Apologies if asked/answered already but are we still going ahead with giving the second vaccine after the 3 weeks. Would that mean those who received it on the 29th get second dose next Monday?

Yes. As a hcw I got the appointment for my second jab scheduled for 3 weeks after my first.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Had my vaccine 9 days ago now, painless injection and zero side effects, everything was very quick and easy. Just hoping I can make it through the next few weeks covid free now!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Minier81 wrote: »
    Yes. As a hcw I got the appointment for my second jab scheduled for 2 weeks after my first.

Brilliant - all the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

marno21 wrote: »
    Me too. I make out 10/11 weekends on the beer once normality resumes. We're overdue it at this stage.

ill tell you something , Galway Races will be a very good acid test for this vaccine in late July! i have never been pushed or brought along on the swell of a crowd so much as the thursday at galway races each year! i remember 2018 was wet on the thursday, the tents at the races were like a sauna, then the kings head around 7 pm , total sweat box! i remember the suit jacket almost being lost wadeing through the crowds.! cannot wait, even if it is restricted there will be a masive crowd for the October bank holiday galway races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

How about covid free independence day bank holiday in mid september

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Donnelly shown up today by Catherine Connolly. He appeared to mutter effin unbelievable when he was told to shut up during a Dail debate.

An intemperate man, out of his depth, who belongs on the opposition benches. His own party dislikes him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gally74 wrote: »

Excellent news from phase 1 and 2. Phase 3 data will be very important. Looking forward to seeing what the data shows in coming 2 or 3 weeks hopefully. 1 shot will make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Donnelly shown up today by Catherine Connolly. He appeared to mutter effin unbelievable when he was told to shut up during a Dail debate.

An intemperate man, out of his depth, who belongs on the opposition benches. His own party dislikes him.

how do you feel the HSE will handle the rollout? You've held your silence long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Those replies!?? Bloody hell, the Twitter Shinners will never be happy. They are seething that the roll out will be a success and faster than most countries in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Minier81 wrote: »
    Yes. As a hcw I got the appointment for my second jab scheduled for 2 weeks after my first.

3 week gap for me, thought that’s the norm?

Donnelly has written to TDs and a few comments from tonights parliamentary party meeting.

Of course the below comes with the caveat that timelines can speed up, things can change, such as J&J looking good for just the 1 dose. But anyway...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0113/1189463-vaccine-ireland/

"In a letter to TDs, Stephen Donnelly said the current plan is to to vaccinate 700,000 people by the end of March.

The Government is then expected to receive approximately 3.7 million doses from April to the end of June and a further 3.8 million between July and the end of September.

This would allow up to four million people get the two-dose vaccine by the end of September."

Further on....

"Taoiseach has told a Fianna Fáil parliamentary party meeting that the world would look very different in June when the vaccine roll out was at an advanced stage.

Micheál Martin told party colleagues this would allow room for manoeuvre around decision making at that point."

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

That does sound about right, the current data worldwide is pretty bad and countries are slowly ramping up, but our current target of ~40k vaccination per week gives us ~0.12% of the population each day, which is close/in-line to what Spain and Italy are doing.

Interestingly enough (I didn't see this posted anywhere) Denmark has vaccinated less than 1000 each day for the last 3 days, guess they're running out of vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Donnelly has written to TDs and a few comments from tonights parliamentary party meeting.

Of course the below comes with the caveat that timelines can speed up, things can change, such as J&J looking good for just the 1 dose. But anyway...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0113/1189463-vaccine-ireland/

"In a letter to TDs, Stephen Donnelly said the current plan is to to vaccinate 700,000 people by the end of March.

The Government is then expected to receive approximately 3.7 million doses from April to the end of June and a further 3.8 million between July and the end of September.

This would allow up to four million people get the two-dose vaccine by the end of September."

Further on....

"Taoiseach has told a Fianna Fáil parliamentary party meeting that the world would look very different in June when the vaccine roll out was at an advanced stage.

Micheál Martin told party colleagues this would allow room for manoeuvre around decision making at that point."

That sounds bleak if the vaccine roll out only allows room for manoeuvre around decision making by June

Hell of a long time since before Christmas to June

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That sounds bleak if the vaccine roll out only allows room for manoeuvre around decision making by June

Hell of a long time since before Christmas to June

Martins been saying for weeks it would allow more manoeuvre and freedom in decision making. Its not really any departure from previous comments he's made that things will look a lot different in the summer.

Quite possibly I'd say we'd be in some sort of L3 until then, with more people vaccinated by May/June you could see a L1/2 scenario kick in during May but that's just a guess, I've a wedding to go to pushed back to July and I'd give that a fairly good chance of being on by then.

It'll all be gradual over a number of months to come , won't be like flicking a lightswitch unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Fair points

very impressive news report on the BBC this morning, pharmacies starting up today, the one they visited was v big, but they going to do 1000 a week 8 am to 8 pm 7 days a week, their not aloud to do it unless they commit to 12 he working day and 7 days a week, worth watching,

just to add the delta between distributed and administered in the US, grows day on day, it's only a matter of ti!Me before private companies start to get some.....

gally74 wrote: »
    just to add the delta between distributed and administered in the US, grows day on day, it's only a matter of ti!Me before private companies start to get some.....

I wonder will US multinationals be looking to source some independently for their staff. I know of a couple of places that have had massive production issues due to Covid absence and close contact absence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wonder will US multinationals be looking to source some independently for their staff. I know of a couple of places that have had massive production issues due to Covid absence and close contact absence

I’d say plenty would if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

PCeeeee wrote: »
    They had her gagged?

They simply didn't ask her, and probably she didn't feel like it was necessary to tell them, aftr all they should know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

This article

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/the-future-of-coronavirus-nothing-worse-than-a-common-cold-1.4457245

seems to imply that both vaccine and natural infection give an immunisation against the coronavirus, but it seems to say that natural infection (and hence the natural immunity that derives from it) is more effective than the vaccine.

Anyway, this should also imply that those who had the Covid could even do without the vaccine, or did I misunderstand?
    And if it's true, couldn't this mean that millions doses might be spared for the benefit of those who haven't contracted the disease yet and speed up the roll out a bit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement