Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

As in for administering the vaccine for the HSE
    Or can we go and pay for a vaccine in a private hospital?

This will not be a thing for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just to note its planned after the weekend appearently to have these numbers on the geo hive hub and soon after on the covid app.

133,185 deliveries by Sunday. As mentioned the buffer is being reduced to the minium of a few days supply being kept back.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1349724322248744966?s=19

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

AdamD wrote: »
    77300 Vaccinations completed to date according to HSE weekly press conference
    And we get:

* "Which is extremely slow compared to countries of the same size, I heard when denmark will have 80% vaccinated, Ireland will have 4%"
    - How the hell does anyone manage to get those figures?

* "0.8% of the population per week, only 2 and a half years to vaccinate the whole country at that rate!!!!!!"
    - *drink* *drink*
    That bloody cobbled-together graph projection is doing the rounds everywhere and people are taking it as gospel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ixoy wrote: »
    And we get:

* "Which is extremely slow compared to countries of the same size, I heard when denmark will have 80% vaccinated, Ireland will have 4%"
    - How the hell does anyone manage to get those figures?

* "0.8% of the population per week, only 2 and a half years to vaccinate the whole country at that rate!!!!!!"
    - *drink* *drink*
    That bloody cobbled-together graph projection is doing the rounds everywhere and people are taking it as gospel

Not to forget as well that god awful vaccine queue calculator. Utter rubbish

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

hmmm wrote: »
    I think the HSE need to publish two figures prominently. Number of vaccines delivered by the manufacturers & number of vaccines administered.

I think we also need to see a third figure; number of vaccinations completed with second dose. If for no other reason than it will serve as a huge reminder to people to get their second dose by keeping people constantly conscious that a second dose is needed.

Obviously, that changes with any introduction of a one shot regimen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Just to note its planned after the weekend appearently to have these numbers on the geo hive hub and soon after on the covid app.

133,185 deliveries by Sunday. As mentioned the buffer is being reduced to the minium of a few days supply being kept back.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1349724322248744966?s=19

Good god the replies, any chance the vaccine cures stupidity....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We're doing pretty good. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iguana wrote: »
    I think we also need to see a third figure; number of vaccinations completed with second dose. If for no other reason than it will serve as a huge reminder to people to get their second dose by keeping people constantly conscious that a second dose is needed.

Obviously, that changes with any introduction of a one shot regimen.
    There are none yet. About 4000 were done in December, they will get theirs next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

At the moment you can’t get near a GP so unless they open again it will be slower than predicted

How will you be informed when it’s your turn to get the vaccine?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are none yet. About 4000 were done in December, they will get theirs next week.

Yes, but once they start it would be good to see those numbers and just really keep driving home the 'second dose needed' message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

AdamD wrote: »
    77300 Vaccinations completed to date according to HSE weekly press conference

By my calculations that's about 1.6 doses per 100 people which would put us in the top 10 countries worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

And it won't because we have two villains to blame: the government and the HSE. They can't win here even if they do a superb job. IMO it's great that care homes will be done by next week but stories about dodgy hospital policies will gain more traction. 60% and more of us won't have a look-in on vaccines till summer yet what we need to do now just as we had to do the day before the vaccines arrive is to follow the guidance. Somehow in this vaccine mania we've forgotten that.
    The HSE and any other public body can and should be held to account in a fair and rational manner. Blaming the fact that admin staff are getting doses ahead of elderly nursing staff close to retirement, on unavoidable supply issues is more than a bit disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Private hospitals deal done.

What's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Seán Defoe
    @SeanDefoe
    @BerryCathal
    asks if we can get doses of AstraZeneca into the country ahead of its approval so it can be rolled out very quickly.

Leo Varadkar says he's not sure if that's possible because of the EU combined purchase system but he'll check it out

Bravo Cathal. That could make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gael23 wrote: »
    At the moment you can’t get near a GP so unless they open again it will be slower than predicted

How will you be informed when it’s your turn to get the vaccine?
    As a data nerd, I am quite curious about the nuts and bolts of this.

I expect they will reach across the data protection lines somewhere to try and capture everyone.

The HSE will have a decent grasp via medical card registrations of where their age cohorts are. I wonder will they rely on just posting out appointment dates to the over 70s when their time comes, or will they have the GPs follow up with a phone call?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

seamus wrote: »

I expect they will reach across the data protection lines somewhere to try and capture everyone.

The HSE will have a decent grasp via medical card registrations of where their age cohorts are. I wonder will they rely on just posting out appointment dates to the over 70s when their time comes, or will they have the GPs follow up with a phone call?

What about those without a medical card? I can't see how that would work sensibly.

The HSE and any other public body can and should be held to account in a fair and rational manner. Blaming the fact that admin staff are getting doses ahead of elderly nursing staff close to retirement, on unavoidable supply issues is more than a bit disingenuous.
    Reasonable and rational explanations been offered on this by multiple posters yet you seem utterly disinclined to accept any of them and that your prerogative.

TBH you've been "holding them to account" on these threads with no evidence except your own bias on anything they do so let's not use disingenuous to refer to other posters!

77,300 is not a bad number - evidence that they can both do this and are doing so at a reasonable pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What about those without a medical card? I can't see how that would work sensibly.

All over 70 have a GP card , they are entitled to free GP visits and are registered with the HSE . Possibly not all apply for it but the vast majority over 70 do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

AZ to be approved on January 29th
    is one possible date for its approval lads. Nobody has said its a done deal. If EMA see something off its back to the drawing board. ( don't put the mockers on it ) As OPs above have said they are looking at getting shipments of AZ in beforehand to be ready to go pending CMA auth from EMA

funnydoggy wrote: »
    What's this?
    Reid said it in his briefing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

GP practice management software (HealthOne, Socrates, CGP etc) should have a function (I believe Socrates does) to search for and identify all patients on their books who meet certain criteria.

I'm sure if the others mentioned don't support this function that it will VERY soon.

I know my Mam's GP has done up his own list, over 80's, over 75's, over 70's etc. and plans to start calling them in order and giving them appointments once approval is through and he is told to expect supply. Don't think there's anything official that has advised him to do this, but he's decided to take his own initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Looks like they are well ahead of expectations with the vaccine rollout and one of the best globally. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know my Mam's GP has done up his own list, over 80's, over 75's, over 70's etc. and plans to start calling them in order and giving them appointments once approval is through and he is told to expect supply. Don't think there's anything official that has advised him to do this, but he's decided to take his own initiative.

One of the most important criteria for any job - showing initiative. Good on him!

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Looks like they are well ahead of expectations with the vaccine rollout and one of the best globally. Good to see.
    Underpromise and overdeliver!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Much better than my mother's gp.

He rang her up to tell her to make sure to reject all appointments offered. He would get her her vaccine at an appropriate moment.

He did the same in august about the flu vaccine (telling her not to get it in pharmacies) and she only got it from him in December. I hope she doesnt listen to him this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My GP won’t see anyone for any reason so don’t know how I’m supposed to get it. I had an infected eye last week and I was told to email in a picture of it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

nommm wrote: »

"Ramp up to keep up". It's almost like an inspirational Boris quote :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Gael23 wrote: »
    My GP won’t see anyone for any reason so don’t know how I’m supposed to get it. I had an infected eye last week and I was told to email in a picture of it

Presumably your GP will start seeing people after they've been vaccinated, which will happen before you are due to get yours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement