Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Good table and probably underestimated if we end up with more then 4 vaccines

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1349769003271671815?s=21

That picture assumes approval of the vaccines which have not got authorisation yet. e.g J&J, AZ etc. EMA approval is not a done deal.

Anybody relying on those dates could get badly stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

trellheim wrote: »
    That picture assumes approval of the vaccines which have not got authorisation yet. e.g J&J, AZ etc. EMA approval is not a done deal.

It also assumes the 60-64 age group are immune!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

trellheim wrote: »

Do you know what? I don’t care, seeing these charts and graphs helps with morale and roll on April as a key worker I’ll have both arse cheeks raring to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a good graph. Would be nice if they listed assumptions as a footnote though. Eg: assuming AZ approval in January, Curevac approval in April etc.

I agree. I don't think we'll have a fully normal summer but we should have a summer like 2020 imo with level 2 style restrictions if most of the priority groups are vaccinated.

• Advertisement

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN29J1DX

So it seems Russia are planning to submit an application next month for approval of Sputnik V in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Yep, I know what a phlebotomist is, I'll be more careful with how I refer to laboratory staff in phlebotomy departments in future. The staff I know have been involved in diverse things from histology to PCR tests over the year and I wasn't sure on the right job title to use here. Thank you for providing a detailed rationale. I'm not aware of outbreaks directly caused in lab facilities, the risk exists. The nature of such work means you're already working in a BSL 2 lab where there is an assurance of PPE and safety for staff which should mean the risk is pretty low?
    Ok no bother

Laboratory staff include laboratory aides, medical scientists (basic grade, senior and chief), laboratory manager as well as consultants and their secretaries.

The micro dept have safety cabinets for handing covid samples. PPE is lab coat, gloves and mask. The safety cabinets do not eliminate risk entirely. Accidents or spillage can always happen and aerosols can splash into the eyes skin or clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Good table and probably underestimated if we end up with more then 4 vaccines

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1349769003271671815?s=21

When do people aged 60 to 65 get the vaccine?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    When do people aged 60 to 65 get the vaccine?

It's a typo they are in with the 55-59 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Ok no bother

Laboratory staff include laboratory aides, medical scientists (basic grade, senior and chief), laboratory manager as well as consultants and their secretaries.

The micro dept have safety cabinets for handing covid samples. PPE is lab coat, gloves and mask. The safety cabinets do not eliminate risk entirely. Accidents or spillage can always happen and aerosols can splash into the eyes skin or clothes.

Micro also crucial when hospital outbreaks happen , have heard of them advising departments about who are close versus casual contacts based on air flow etc even when social distanced observed. Hospitals can't run without these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Stark wrote: »
    I agree. I don't think we'll have a fully normal summer but we should have a summer like 2020 imo with level 2 style restrictions if most of the priority groups are vaccinated.

I don't expect a "normal" summer but level 2 restrictions would be quite underwhelming. We effectively had level 2 restrictions for most of last summer and that was without a vaccine. If a large proportion of the population including all the vulnerable are vaccinated by then, I think level 2 restrictions would be like suggesting that the vaccine hasn't made any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Do you know what? I don’t care, seeing these charts and graphs helps with morale and roll on April as a key worker I’ll have both arse cheeks raring to go!!!

Luckily for us that's not where the needle goes :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

VG31 wrote: »
    I don't expect a "normal" summer but level 2 restrictions would be quite underwhelming. We effectively had level 2 restrictions for most of last summer and that was without a vaccine. If a large proportion of the population including all the vulnerable are vaccinated by then, I think level 2 restrictions would be like suggesting that the vaccine hasn't made any difference.

Dublin at least never had level 2 - wet pubs never opened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Stheno wrote: »
    Dublin at least never had level 2 - wet pubs never opened

Apart from that Dublin was level 2. It was almost autumn when wet pubs opened outside Dublin anyhow.

I think level 1 would be much more acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Minier81 wrote: »
    Micro also crucial when hospital outbreaks happen , have heard of them advising departments about who are close versus casual contacts based on air flow etc even when social distanced observed. Hospitals can't run without these guys.

Yes, they work very closely with infection control. There is also a surveillance scientist who has to investigate, control and prevent outbreaks within the hospital and in facilities in the community. That's any kind of outbreak, not just Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There's some information coming from Israel that would suggest that there will be some suppression of transmission from the vaccine.

That could allow greater relaxation.

The lesson we learned was that at level 2 case numbers will grow. I don't think enough people will be vaccinated to suppress the R number in a massive way.

Later summer we can definitely go lower than level 2. Early summer it probably depends on how far we suppress the numbers before we start opening up.

Let's say for example 2,000 cases a day and growing with the vulnerable vaccinated is not something we can manage. 500 cases a day and growing like we are at level 2 might be something we can support for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Luckily for us that's not where the needle goes :)

I’ll let them put it anywhere they want!! Except for some sensitive areas

We didn't have mutant strains either. With 50-70% more transmittable strains, we'd do very well to get daily case numbers down to the single digits again even with vaccines imo. Of course everything depends on how much the vaccines themselves reduce transmission but with them starting with groups with lower numbers of average social contacts, I wouldn't expect miracles on the case numbers side.

Vaccinating the vulnerable will substantially reduce the mortality and hospitalization rate but we can't just let the case numbers run into the tens of thousands either. Youngest person to die today was 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Any news on the EMA potentially forwarding the approval date for AstraZeneca?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Godot. wrote: »

No.

The date was set based on how long they think it will take them to review the submission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Godot. wrote: »

I doubt they will. Its essentially a two week turn around as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

There's some information coming from Israel that would suggest that there will be some suppression of transmission from the vaccine.

That could allow greater relaxation.

The lesson we learned was that at level 2 case numbers will grow. I don't think enough people will be vaccinated to suppress the R number in a massive way.

Later summer we can definitely go lower than level 2. Early summer it probably depends on how far we suppress the numbers before we start opening up.

Let's say for example 2,000 cases a day and growing with the vulnerable vaccinated is not something we can manage. 500 cases a day and growing like we are at level 2 might be something we can support for a month or two.

Israel record cases and deaths with 20 % of the population vaccinated.

20% given their first dose, not 20% fully vaccinated. Will probably be a few weeks before they really see the benefit.

Stark wrote: »
    20% given their first dose, not 20% fully vaccinated. Will probably be a few weeks before they really see the benefit.

At that rate we will not be seeing any benefit until 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Do people have to try and poke holes in everything? It's tiresome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

the ucc presentation is v interesting,

If there is a seasonal effect with this virus Ike other coronavirsus, then there may be no need to vaccinate so many during the summer vs, doing it in autumn to cover the winter months,

I reckon were in for a normal summer once the priority groups get the vacc,

El Sueño wrote: »
    Do people have to try and poke holes in everything? It's tiresome

We all have a dream..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Have any high profile vaccines actually failed in their clinical trials?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Vaccine numbers added to the hub.

Total Vaccines Administered (1st Dose)
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Advertisement

I see now there is facilities offering the vaccine to the wealthy. It was bound to happen. I can see a surplus of vaccines once oxford etc come online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement