Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

snowcat wrote: »
    I see now there is facilities offering the vaccine to the wealthy. It was bound to happen. I can see a surplus of vaccines once oxford etc come online.

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Have any high profile vaccines actually failed in their clinical trials?

Sanofi had to go back to the drawing board after poor results. They were originally anticipated to be frontrunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pen-and-paper-used-to-record-vaccines-as-it-system-not-in-place-yet-d%C3%A1il-told-1.4458313
    Pen and paper used to record vaccines as IT system not in place yet, Dáil told

Vaccine roll-out in nursing homes is being recorded with pen and paper as the IT system to deal with the inoculation programme is not in place, the Dáil has been told.

Independent TD Cathal Berry said this was a real difficulty for the roll-out of the vaccine which he described as “sluggish”.

Dr Berry, who is a medical doctor, expressed concern that the IT system “does not work at all” and added if a person goes to a nursing home and opens their laptop they “cannot input any data from a vaccine perspective at all, which is a major problem”.

I missed this news story. Could it slow the rollout down?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Vaccine numbers added to the hub.

Total Vaccines Administered (1st Dose)
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Great stuff. Hopefully they'll add more detailed information soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

nommm wrote: »
    Sanofi had to go back to the drawing board after poor results. They were originally anticipated to be frontrunners.

Good to hear. I would be nervous if all the major vaccines were a success.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

El Sueño wrote: »
    Do people have to try and poke holes in everything? It's tiresome

According to some experts on here i think they are trying to suggest( not in so many words) forever social distance, forever restrictions and probably essential travel only indefinately :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Reid explained this. They record it in spreadsheets which then get uploaded into the system and it is/was done in advance. Fastest and easiest solution to get nursing homes done as IT system is being rolled out in phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snowcat wrote: »
    At that rate we will not be seeing any benefit until 2022
    100K a week in March, says Leo and the HSE want to get to 1m a month and have it all done by autumn for those who want it, so your maths is more than a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Stark wrote: »
    We didn't have mutant strains either. With 50-70% more transmittable strains, we'd do very well to get daily case numbers down to the single digits again even with vaccines imo. Of course everything depends on how much the vaccines themselves reduce transmission but with them starting with groups with lower numbers of average social contacts, I wouldn't expect miracles on the case numbers side.

Vaccinating the vulnerable will substantially reduce the mortality and hospitalization rate but we can't just let the case numbers run into the tens of thousands either. Youngest person to die today was 25.

Whilst very sad and unfortunate, that person was an outlier. The statistics clearly illustrate that this virus primarily impacts older demographics. Of course there will be some young people effected - those who are immuno compromised, etc. However, in general, if the majority of the population aren't at risk (as the older and vulnerable groups have been vaccinated and younger cohorts are not susceptible), then what relevance are case numbers?
    All along, we've been told that the purpose of restrictions is to prevent strain on the hospital sector. So, if they are not under pressure come the summer (due to the scenario outlined above), what justification is there for restrictions?

• Advertisement

I imagine after a certain point, if case numbers grow too large, the test and trace system completely breaks down and at that point, you've conceded to just "let it rip". Question after that is how much of the remaining population are you happy to let die/suffer the effects of long covid. Being in the last group to get vaccinated, I'm not sure exactly how happy I feel about that given how much we've sacrificed up to now, and I know people the same age as me who have died or have suffered debilitating effects for months after contracting the virus. Granted they're a small minority of the overall population, but for the sake of another two months until the vaccine can be rolled out to everyone who wants it...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Apologies if this has been answered already but just wondering if there is any more information as to whether children will be vaccinated? I see all the reports that everyone who wants a vaccine will have it by September etc etc but is this working on the basis that children won't be vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

shoppergal wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered already but just wondering if there is any more information as to whether children will be vaccinated? I see all the reports that everyone who wants a vaccine will have it by September etc etc but is this working on the basis that children won't be vaccinated?

From what I've seen I believe you are right. Any adult or maybe over 16yo who wants it will get it by September was my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK not decided and subject to trials being conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Have any high profile vaccines actually failed in their clinical trials?

Usually the failures happen in phase 1 or phase 2 trials and the vaccine gets pulled at that stage. It's usually when vaccines pass phase 1 and 2 that it becomes high profile.

Children wont be vaccinated at the moment. The vaccine wasnt approved for children as they need separate trials.

Some of the vaccines have started separate trials for teenagers or children but they haven't reported yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭obi604

Silly q time.

So the Vaccine stops you from getting the virus.

Does it stop you from transmitting it?

obi604 wrote: »
    Silly q time.

No conclusive data yet but Pfizer seem confident that it reduces onwards transmission to some degree. No evidence that it prevents you entirely from transmitting so vaccinated people will still have to adhere to the same guidelines as unvaccinated people until we're over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

obi604 wrote: »
    Silly q time.

There has been no trials done on the ability of the vaccine to stop transmission.

All they needed to pass the trials was to prove that their vaccine would prevent mild symptoms at least 50% of the time.

There was preliminary data from an Israeli study today that a single shot of the Pfizer vaccine reduces transmission by between 33 and 50% iirc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

gally74 wrote: »
    the ucc presentation is v interesting,

If there is a seasonal effect with this virus Ike other coronavirsus, then there may be no need to vaccinate so many during the summer vs, doing it in autumn to cover the winter months,

I reckon were in for a normal summer once the priority groups get the vacc,

Indeed. We had a reasonably normal summer last year with 3 months of little restrictions. Sure we were starting from a low base but it took 15 weeks to get from 15 cases per day to 1200 with pubs open (with food but this rule was being widely circumvented), full domestic travel, international travel with no enforcement and so on.

Fingers crossed we have a good summer with herd immunity by autumn.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed. We had a reasonably normal summer last year with 3 months of little restrictions. Sure we were starting from a low base but it took 15 weeks to get from 15 cases per day to 1200 with pubs open (with food but this rule was being widely circumvented), full domestic travel, international travel with no enforcement and so on.

Fingers crossed we have a good summer with hers immunity by autumn.

Where is the evidence of the food rule being circumvented?

I ate out regularly across Dublin during that time and the rule was rigidly enforced everywhere I went

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I agree with you Marno, but don't blame the women
    '
    Fingers crossed we have a good summer with hers immunity by autumn.'

Fellas drinking with a dirty plate put down in front of him, was regular last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I've been watching the Northern Ireland numbers as well in the hopes that it might have an effect on our border counties' case numbers. 7% of people have been given their first dose there now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Stheno wrote: »
    Where is the evidence of the food rule being circumvented?

I ate out regularly across Dublin during that time and the rule was rigidly enforced everywhere I went

I was party to the rule being circumvented myself several times. I’ve no evidence unfortunately

marno21 wrote: »
    I was party to the rule being circumvented myself several times. I’ve no evidence unfortunately

In two of my regular haunts you literally could not get a drink until you ordered food

I've also been to a few where they were blatantly circumventing the rule. One such "gastropub", we had to contend with a crowd of drunken 20 year olds pretty much elbows in our faces as we were trying to finish our food. Management apologised to us, told us they were hosting a "funeral" and things spilled out of their control. Thought okay, and decided to call back in a few weeks later (It's a popular spot for people finishing hikes and mountain bike spins) and the bar was about 5 rows of people deep queuing for pints, no food or social distancing. Bit crappy given that places like my local where they fastidiously adhere to all the guidelines and I feel as safe going for food and a pint there as I would in my own home get lumped into the same bucket and are shut down as a result.

A common pattern I've seen for the ones flouting the rules seems to be to enforce the rules strictly for the occasional visitors like myself but make exceptions for their "regulars" to sit around for the day and drink pints. Depends on the time of day as well. There were some that enforced the rules right down to the silly one way markings until about 9pm or so but after that, it was a free for all that made you wonder why they bothered with all the floor markings and sanitisers etc. up to that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Stark wrote: »
    it was a free for all that made you wonder why they bothered with all the floor markings and sanitisers etc. up to that point.

Grant money from government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I was in liffey valley before Christmas/Summer it was a free for all in the centre walk ways, in queues for shops, in the food court , literally people walking into one another in that tiny corridor near marks and spencers , the obsession with pubs is weird it was happening everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Stheno wrote: »
    In two of my regular haunts you literally could not get a drink until you ordered food
    I know of two places that put empty pizza boxes on the tables in case the Guards called, and another that took dirty plates out of the owner's dishwasher upstairs and gave them to the regulars when they got a tip off they were on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Lads will yous just get together and make a scrapbook of all the times you noticed people misbehaving.

Coming on here and breathlessly describing perceived transgressions from months ago is beyond tiresome.

What use is it honestly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement