Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What about those who have a chronic illness and risk factor, who are managed by an outpatient department and don't have a GP due to transient / no fixed address? I thought for a lot of these situations, outpatient-led delivery made more sense than relying on GPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Russman wrote: »
    Has there been any further clarity regarding group 6 Key Workers ?
    Doesn't appear to be, but it should be relatively small. Going by the overall definition it will include GPs and other vaccinators as well as staff working in manufacturing and delivery of the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think government agencies around the world need to be very detailed and clear publishing deaths associated with people who have had a Covid vaccine.

While I think we should be constantly monitoring adverse side effects I think it’s reckless to publish death numbers of people who’ve had the vaccine without giving accompanying information such as age and general health.

If you publish data that’s wide open to interpretation you just give people licence to do what they wish with it.

The CDC have just published adverse effects data and left people with more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/11271914

Starts 8 mins in,
    MacGraith as ever very clear, concise but not dumbing it down either.

15 mins in he mentions soft opening of 3 mass vacine centres this weekend in Dublin Galway and Portlaoise, to administer to GPs and will be used as a pilot run for the MVCs, using the moderna jabs.
    Working towards end of February for full mobilisation of the MCVs pending on supply.
    Lots in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

I think GPs will make a very valuable but relatively small dent in the vaccination numbers. For a start they'll have their normal patients. AFAIK most if not all of them have gone to appointment only and its every 15 mins (certainly my own is anyway) and they simply don't have the size of waiting rooms etc to have people queuing and/or being observed post jab. Even seeing say 30 people per day, I can't see a GP having more than 10 of that 30 for vaccination tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

I think GPs will make a very valuable but relatively small dent in the vaccination numbers. For a start they'll have their normal patients. AFAIK most if not all of them have gone to appointment only and its every 15 mins (certainly my own is anyway) and they simply don't have the size of waiting rooms etc to have people queuing and/or being observed post jab. Even seeing say 30 people per day, I can't see a GP having more than 10 of that 30 for vaccination tbh.

Many GPs now have a nurse as part of the practice who routinely does, for example, the flu vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

2500 GPS doing 10 a day is quite the contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

hmmm wrote: »
    This is the actual Norwegian Medicines Agency press release, which is substantially different to "these people died of side effects from the vaccine".

"All deaths that occur within the first few days of vaccination are carefully assessed. We cannot rule out that adverse reactions to the vaccine occurring within the first days following vaccination (such as fever and nausea) may contribute to more serious course and fatal outcome in patients with severe underlying disease. "

Don't be spreading this sort of stuff about the vaccine killing people based on spurious news reports and scaring people.

So, it doesn't say that the deaths were surely related with the vaccine, those people might have died from something else, since they died a few days after, not after a few minutes/hours after the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So, it doesn't say that the deaths were surely related with the vaccine, those people migh thave died from something else, since they died a few days after, not after a few minutes/hours after the vaccine.
    Exactly. And while I'm sure the Norwegians are going to investigate whether there is a link, and have changed their vaccination procedures out of an abundance of caution, this was apparently a group of very old and frail people. We've given the vaccine to 100 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Exactly. And while I'm sure the Norwegians are going to investigate whether there is a link, and have changed their vaccination procedures out of an abundance of caution, this was apparently a group of very old and frail people. We've given the vaccine to 100 year olds.

Why are they releasing these numbers at all if they haven’t investigated it properly? It’s great fodder for those with an agenda.

• Advertisement

Why are they releasing these numbers at all if they haven’t investigated it properly? It’s great fodder for those with an agenda.
    I think they had to give an explanation as to why they were changing the vaccination recommendations which is reasonable - I'm not sure whether we're vaccinating very frail people either. That seems to have been picked up incorrectly by some Western journalists, and the sensationalist headlines are being spread by media located in Russia and Turkey. I know why the Russians are doing it, I suspect Turkey are trying to convince their population they did after all back the right horse (Sinovac).

"Just as well we bought 50m doses of that 50% Sinovac stuff, and not some of that 95% stuff which is killing old people."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

seamus wrote: »
    The general consensus is that given the volume of vaccine coming downstream and that post-COVID immunity is a bit of a wildcard, there is no general benefit in skipping or delaying these individuals for vaccination.

My wife (and I) had the Covid April-May.
    She's a HCW and agreed to be part of a panel of people to be checked regularly for antibodies post-Covid to see the duration of the immunity, and as a part of her role, she's also tested every three months or so for the coronavirus (swab test).
    She always tested negative for the virus, but always positive for the antibodies.
    A few days ago she received the vaccine, and will get the second shot in early February, but in the same week she'll have another test for antibodies.

Won't this test be tricked by the fact that now she has the vaccine active? How will they be able to tell if her antibodies are still active from the disease rather than from the vaccine?

She's a HCW and agreed to be part of a panel of people to be checked regularly for antibodies post-Covid to see the duration of the immunity, and as a part of her role, she's also tested every three months or so for the coronavirus (swab test).
    She always tested negative for the virus, but always positive for the antibodies.
    A few days ago she received the vaccine, and will get the second shot in early February, but in the same week she'll have another test for antibodies.

Won't this test be tricked by the fact that now she has the vaccine active? How will they be able to tell if her antibodies are still active from the disease rather than from the vaccine?

Of course, so there is no point trying to gauge natural immunity levels anymore. But it will now work well as a test to see how much the vacine compliments the natural immunity levels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

lbj666 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/11271914

Starts 8 mins in,
    MacGraith as ever very clear, concise but not dumbing it down either.

15 mins in he mentions soft opening of 3 mass vacine centres this weekend in Dublin Galway and Portlaoise, to administer to GPs and will be used as a pilot run for the MVCs, using the moderna jabs.
    Working towards end of February for full mobilisation of the MCVs pending on supply.
    Lots in there.

Very interesting piece. Quite encouraging actually, especially when we get to the point of, as he says, 200k-250k per week, we'll see some real progress.

Very interesting piece. Quite encouraging actually, especially when we get to the point of, as he says, 200k-250k per week, we'll see some real progress.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mass-vaccination-centres-news-ireland-5326172-Jan2021/

Journal have transcribed the interview a bit, of course as with any journal link read to the end of the article and stop there.

Aswell there is going to be a lot more detail next week as to what the upcoming priority groups are to do to arrange their vacination.

Biontech's Marburg plant has got the go-ahead. What's that, another 250m-500m extra doses a year or something?
    https://www.sueddeutsche.de/gesundheit/gesundheit-mainz-impfstoffproduktion-in-marburger-biontech-werk-genehmigt-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-210115-99-41453!amp

Anyone who has read up on Ebola will remember the name Marburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

When I got the flu jab in my GP this year it was out of hours and they had almost a production line going. Segregated q in/out. Great setup in fairness. Perhaps that may be an option again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Does it matter though, she'll be protected. That's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Biontech's Marburg plant has got the go-ahead. What's that, another 250m-500m extra doses a year or something?
    https://www.sueddeutsche.de/gesundheit/gesundheit-mainz-impfstoffproduktion-in-marburger-biontech-werk-genehmigt-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-210115-99-41453!amp

Anyone who has read up on Ebola will remember the name Marburg.

The article says they are aiming for 750 million doses this year. That's sizeable, just wondering if that's in addition to the 2 billion update from Pfizer or is this the reason they can do the 2 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Stheno wrote: »
    A lot of pharmacies are currently unable to use their consulting room as it's too small

The last time I needed a consultation with my pharmacist I went and sat in the room and they rang my mobile

Unsure if even after they were vaccinated they could use the room

A lot of pharmacies were avoiding using the consultation room where possible to maintain social distance. That's not really a factor when vaccinating unless Phil Taylor is vaccinating you. Afair the advise for pharmacies with the flu vaccine was to use a suitably private area if the pharmacist deemed the consultation room was too small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lbj666 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mass-vaccination-centres-news-ireland-5326172-Jan2021/

Journal have transcribed the interview a bit, of course as with any journal link read to the end of the article and stop there.

Aswell there is going to be a lot more detail next week as to what the upcoming priority groups are to do to arrange their vaccination.
    That's a huge chunk of GPs if they do 1,800 of them over the weekend although one would assume it includes other team members.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's a huge chunk of GPs if they do 1,800 of them over the weekend although one would assume it includes other team members.

Off course and they aint sending over half of all GPs to 3 spots in the country either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The latest from Donnelly. We are now #1 in the EU apparently.
    https://twitter.com/donnellystephen/status/1350170924172140545?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pfizer reduced delivery is one week only.

Pharmaceutical company Pfizer has said there will be a "temporary reduction" in the number of doses delivered next week but added it will be back to the original delivery schedule for the European Union from the 25 January.

In a statement, the company said it developed a plan "that will allow the scale-up of manufacturing capacities in Europe and deliver significantly more doses in the second quarter" and there will be "increased delivery" 15 February.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1350172116709216260?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The latest from Donnelly. We are now #1 in the EU apparently.
    https://twitter.com/donnellystephen/status/1350170924172140545?s=21

To be fair to him he is keeping us updated. I’m happy to see we are jumping right in with MVC, no harm to trial them before the real mass vaccination of the population gets underway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I suggested previously about having a sticky on here about the current vaccines and their comparisons. Here is a handy table from a trusted source, and while it is geared towards the US, the information is very useful:
    Three Covid Vaccines Compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Heard earlier Donnelly says 4 million will have got the jab by September, I'd say he will be eating those words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Heard earlier Donnelly says 4 million will have got the jab by September, I'd say he will be eating those words.

Not necessarily, I think that’s an under promise to be honest. You see Pfizer upping the the quantities we receive from the middle of February and more again from April.
    All going well you’ll have AstraZeneca, J&J and curvac all approved before the end of April with AstraZeneca coming in the next few weeks and we’ll obviously get a lot more then 3,600 doses of moderna weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Very doable imo. Might be even sooner if there's a clean sweep of approvals for the vaccines currently in trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

What makes you say this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement