Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Pfizer delay is due to a shortage of raw materials. Even glass vials are an issue.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Cork2021 wrote: »
    To be fair to him he is keeping us updated. I’m happy to see we are jumping right in with MVC, no harm to trial them before the real mass vaccination of the population gets underway

He is - comms are good.

But if you’re going to claim to be no.1 in the EU would a stat or a number not help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

funnydoggy wrote: »
    What makes you say this?

We're not great at organising stuff in this country but I hope he is right, get everyone jabbed and back to normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pfizer reduced delivery is one week only.

Pharmaceutical company Pfizer has said there will be a "temporary reduction" in the number of doses delivered next week but added it will be back to the original delivery schedule for the European Union from the 25 January.

In a statement, the company said it developed a plan "that will allow the scale-up of manufacturing capacities in Europe and deliver significantly more doses in the second quarter" and there will be "increased delivery" 15 February.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1350172116709216260?s=19

The full Pfizer statement

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1350169373084971011?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We're not great at organising stuff in this country but I hope he is right, get everyone jabbed and back to normal life.
    We're not great at organising yet we're currently #1 in the EU per day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Heard earlier Donnelly says 4 million will have got the jab by September, I'd say he will be eating those words.

You'd love that so you could have a dig at the gubberment.

You'd love that so you could have a dig at the gubberment.

Amazing how you know what some stranger you know nothing about thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Seems EU put the squeeze on Pfizer.

Yeah that won't be long changing

Yeah that won't be long changing
    Ah yeah shur feck the HSE and all that

• Advertisement

Ah yeah shur feck the HSE and all that

The HSE is a shambles, it should be torn down and built up from scratch with a system fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The HSE is a shambles, it should be torn down and built up from scratch with a system fit for purpose.

And when will that be done?
    I’m glad to see that they’ve done well so far.. albeit a few hospital groups not managing it so we’ll for certain hospitals like UHL.
    Something like this will hopefully never happen again, all we can do now is stop complaining and let them get on with it as quickly and efficiently as possible.
    They know the whole country is watching!

Let's just do it during the middle of a pandemic, real intelligent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

We were the #1 with the lowest transmission rate in the eu.

You must have heard because the Government boasted about it.

Also praised the 18-24 year olds only a few weeks ago for our blue Peter badge.

Only a few days ago we had the highest transmission rate in the world and the highest transmission rate within demographics was within 18-24 year olds

What could possibly go wrong......

Sorry that I don’t share your optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The covid nurses and doctors of that video are quite upset about the provision of the vaccine in hospitals and for admin staff where covid patients are not treated, if you watched it.

You don't seem to understand the importance of timing and circumstances as opposed to throughput and overall data. When the wider vaccination scheme is under way, who is priority 7 or priority 9, if groups are stratified further or not, it won't make much difference in the scheme of things (mass vaccination and AZ vaccine will mean small changes will barely be noticeable in the timetable).

In the early days and weeks, exactly who gets it and when is very important when it's also being driven to get a current severe outbreak under control before hospitals are overwhelmed. In a sense, it's a race against time. A tweak in one direction or another with such a limited supply of the vaccine right now will mean delays of weeks, not days for some who are at high risk of getting it, passing it on, or no longer being able to treat patients.

These "why A not B" issues will die out after April by my estimation, but in the here and now while community transmission is so high and surveillance has to be curtailed, they really are an issue that needs to be addressed, reactively even.

But you do understand the reason they are rolling out as they are? i.e. for speed and to reduce waste?

Yes, it would be great if we could magic it into everyone's arm in the right order, but we can't without sacrificing speed and introducing waste. They will still get done by the governments timeline, they just won't get done before some other people do, and yes, every day counts, but again, speed and wastage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The Pfizer delay is due to a shortage of raw materials. Even glass vials are an issue.

Back under your bridge there like a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

PO!NT wrote: »
    We were the #1 with the lowest transmission rate in the eu.

You must have heard because the Government boasted about it.

Also praised the 18-24 year olds only a few weeks ago for our blue Peter badge.

Only a few days ago we had the highest transmission rate in the world and the highest transmission rate within demographics was within 18-24 year olds

What could possibly go wrong......

Sorry that I don’t share your optimism

And aren't we lucky we had the lowest rate of infection to start from, and have been able to halve the rate of infection so quickly in response? They're good things aren't they? Even if you're a pessimist?

Amazing how you know what some stranger you know nothing about thinks.

Well judging by your posts the last hour you're making it very easy.

astrofool wrote: »
    And aren't we lucky we had the lowest rate of infection to start from, and have been able to halve the rate of infection so quickly in response? They're good things aren't they? Even if you're a pessimist?

If #1 helps you sleep better at night that’s good for you.

To me COVID completely out of control, hospitals and ICUs nearly full and vaccine roll out a complete farce.

The above is all over the world.

I fail to understand why we are supposed to pat ourselves on the back.

But hey, look on the bright side.......

To me COVID completely out of control, hospitals and ICUs nearly full and vaccine roll out a complete farce.

What do you want us all to do?

Jump off a bridge in fear?

Walk a minute outside your house.

And you will realise life is still going on.

And it will long after covid is forgotten.

• Advertisement

What do you want us all to do?

Jump off a bridge?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yevon wrote: »
    George Lee on RTE suggested that the delays were originally for 4 weeks but Pfizer had to row back after the EU reaction. Down to a 1 week delay now.

Politically I would imagine the EU cant deal with a delayed program. Even if it was evened our over time by a faster ramp up on increased production.

Its amazing the effect on mood the vaccine news is having. I'm living with my elderly parents during the pandemic and following this thread and giving them updates and I can really notice their improved outlook. I've told them they will get it in March. Let's hope I haven't lied to them!
    Yeah I'm not sure how well the vaccination program and potential timelines have been covered by traditional media at all. My parents would watch the 6:1 news etc. but they really don't seem to be getting much information from there. Even say the news about Oxford/Astrazenica likely to be approved by end of Jan seems to hit RTE news later and with less significance than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Read the room, jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Define completely out of control in terms of the Irish numbers?

Describe where you think vaccine roll out could be proceeding quicker versus the doses on hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Prof MacCraith,

"After a stressful day, it has been very relieving news to hear from Pfizer this evening that the proposed reduction will only apply to one week and that is this coming week."

Prof MacCraith said he was assured by the Chief Executive of Pfizer in a conference call this evening that the production of the vaccine will return to the normal schedule the following week, before being scaled up from the middle of next month.

He said: "There is additional good news that from 15 February onwards, there will be significant growth in the supplies coming in."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Prof MacCraith,

"After a stressful day, it has been very relieving news to hear from Pfizer this evening that the proposed reduction will only apply to one week and that is this coming week."

Prof MacCraith said he was assured by the Chief Executive of Pfizer in a conference call this evening that the production of the vaccine will return to the normal schedule the following week, before being scaled up from the middle of next month.

He said: "There is additional good news that from 15 February onwards, there will be significant growth in the supplies coming in."

Hopefully that's the antidote to Michael lehanes ultra depressing tweet earlier, essentially writing off 2021 for tourism, hospitality etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hopefully that's the antidote to Michael lehanes ultra depressing tweet earlier, essentially writing off 2021 for tourism, hospitality etc

Ignore everyone in Rte apart from Fergal.Bowers tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Stheno wrote: »
    Ignore everyone in Rte apart from Fergal.Bowers tbh

Era the tweet went down like a lead ballon! Fecking eejit shouldn’t even be thinking about it!!

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1350191082416562180?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

josip wrote: »
    A 70+ year old neighbour has been in hospital for the past week with a bad chest infection. He has an existing lung condition.

According to the grouping, he's not elligible to get the vaccine yet, since he's nominally in Group 3.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

Although considering his age, state of health and history and that many people contract Covid when in hospitals, I would have thought that provision would have been made for certain hospital in-patients to be vaccinated at the same time as HCWs.
    Minier81 wrote: »
    Certain high risk inpatients are being vaccinated. It was all over the news on the first days of vaccinations. Sure the first person in the country was that patient in st James' Hospital

Well, for whatever reason, he didn't get vaccinated since he was admitted, although he has COPD and was admitted with pneumonia.
    We were told today that he has now contracted Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

josip wrote: »
    Well, for whatever reason, he didn't get vaccinated since he was admitted, although he has COPD and was admitted with pneumonia.
    We were told today that he has now contracted Covid.
    That's awful and hopefully he recovers soon but it's likely a vaccine wouldn't have helped him, it takes weeks to take effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement