Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Era the tweet went down like a lead ballon! Fecking eejit shouldn’t even be thinking about it!!

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1350191082416562180?s=21
    There will be civil disobedience if this comes to pass.

It is entirely within the power of the Government of Ireland for this to be completely averted. Absolutely no reason not to prevent this from becoming reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's awful and hopefully he recovers soon but it's likely a vaccine wouldn't have helped him, it takes weeks to take effect.

Ten days I think to get to 60%, must check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Hopefully that's the antidote to Michael lehanes ultra depressing tweet earlier, essentially writing off 2021 for tourism, hospitality etc

Our local rag online with a big headline this eve “ St Patricks Day parade 2021 cancelled”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Prof MacCraith,

"After a stressful day, it has been very relieving news to hear from Pfizer this evening that the proposed reduction will only apply to one week and that is this coming week."

Prof MacCraith said he was assured by the Chief Executive of Pfizer in a conference call this evening that the production of the vaccine will return to the normal schedule the following week, before being scaled up from the middle of next month.

He said: "There is additional good news that from 15 February onwards, there will be significant growth in the supplies coming in."

Ah, I hope that's a growth in Pfizer supply and he doesn't mean AstraZeneca won't be able to ship until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Ah, I hope that's a growth in Pfizer supply and he doesn't mean AstraZeneca won't be able to ship until then.

Seriously doubt it, they are different companies, different manufacturing companies, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

He's talking about Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Era the tweet went down like a lead ballon! Fecking eejit shouldn’t even be thinking about it!!

Regardless of the tweet..

Those comments, jesus above you can't please the Twitterati. We're #1 in Europe for vaccine rollout yet apparently we're "too slow*. Everything is an excuse for outrage.

Wouldn't be surprised if after we go to level 1, they'll still have something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

marno21 wrote: »
    There will be civil disobedience if this comes to pass.

It is entirely within the power of the Government of Ireland for this to be completely averted. Absolutely no reason not to prevent this from becoming reality.

Sorry but are we really being asked to trust those in political circles that couldn't predict the ramifications of their decisions from Autumn to December 2020 about what will be state of play 8 months from now?

As it is FF are facing complete annihilation, there will barely a party next time elections are held, they are monumentally ****ed as things currently stand. If that prediction comes to pass though, FG could also be in serious trouble, it will make 2019 and 2002 election results look like a halcyon period, their political existence is in jeopardy if that comes to pass.

If I had to make a prediction, one of parties will make a play to collapse government when things are slightly more stable, possibly during the summer, if I had to bet on who it would be FG.

ETA: travel of international tourists is indeed unlikely this summer, I'm sure the travel companies have prepared for that possibility. If pubs that only serve drink only open in autumn, one of big parties will be consigned to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Stheno wrote: »
    Ignore everyone in Rte apart from Fergal.Bowers tbh

I'd go so far as ignore RTE all week and just read Fergal's weekend summary.
    He doesn't seem to be pushing any agenda or biased and just reports the fact with a neutral take

Ask any person if they could travel back in time and watch an historic event, they would probably say watch the Pyramids being built, Martin Luther King's speech, woodstock, see what crashed at Roswell etc...
    George Lee would love to have been on another boat watching the titanic sink, he'd be loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

funnydoggy wrote: »

Those comments, jesus above you can't please the Twitterati. We're #1 in Europe for vaccine rollout yet apparently we're "too slow*. Everything is an excuse for outrage.

Wouldn't be surprised if after we go to level 1, they'll still have something to complain about.

190,000 so far.

I swear to god when and what has got into people's heads in this country to constantly put ourselves down and claim we are the worst at everything in the face of facts?

There is actually a huge amount of our population that are pure thick in the head.

Always have to blame whinge and piss and moan instead of coming together and trying to offer solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

190,000 so far.

I swear to god when and what has got into people's heads in this country to constantly put ourselves down and claim we are the worst at everything in the face of facts?

There is actually a huge amount of our population that are pure thick in the head.

Always have to blame whinge and piss and moan instead of coming together and trying to offer solutions.

Blame RTE and drive time talk radio. They've made a living off negativity.

And Irish people love a ****ing grumble.

funnydoggy wrote: »

Reminds me of the likes of Sinn Fein, government decides to increase some welfare payment bu €10, SF say they would increase it by €12 etc...
    It's the same muppets on twitter. You will never please them.... ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'd go so far as ignore RTE all week and just read Fergal's weekend summary.
    He doesn't seem to be pushing any agenda or biased and just reports the fact with a neutral take

Have been reading those pieces for a good while now. Always very well written, well balanced & conscious of the public mood. Even when he's on air he'll give the facts and then give context along with them.

The best journalist throughout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Reminds me of the likes of Sinn Fein, government decides to increase some welfare payment bu €10, SF say they would increase it by €12 etc...

Reminds me of the people always complaining about other people complaining, you will never please those either , ever. Muppets.

Reminds me of the people always complaining about other people complaining, you will never please those either , ever. Muppets.

Yes complaining about people complaining about people complaining etc...
    We can go all night.

Fact is a lot of people criticized the government/HSE about a slow roll out, slowest in the EU it was said. waiting a week to vaccinate they said...
    Considering countries take a few weeks to really ramp up, we're in a very good position. I'd say it was the dedication of the HSE to really go full steam ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

190,000 so far.

wow 190,000

People vaccinated UK:

First dose total : 3,234,946

Second dose total: 443,234

gctest50 wrote: »
    wow 190,000

People vaccinated UK:

That 190,000 figure includes some in the UK.
    Poster just posted a figure without saying that was for ROI & NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

wow 190,000

People vaccinated UK:

And your point is what exactly? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

My boy Gerry Killeen has crawled out from underneath his crackpot rock to say we’ll need every single person 100% of people on this island to be vaccinated before restrictions can be lifted!! Poor man must’ve found a new crack dealer!!

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2021/01/15/saturdays-papers-67/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial-social

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

To be fair, that 190,000 figure is for the island of Ireland, so is entirely inaccurate for the HSE only. It contains the vaccine figures for NI too.

The Republic, however, has the highest vaccine rollout in the EU & EEA - both Irish jurisdictions are doing well and need to continue to. It’s not a competition.

We need the EU, UK and other countries like the US, Canada etc etc to get this under control if we’ve any hope of opening up to serious travel again.

The U.K. is a few weeks ahead because they approved vaccines with less data. You can view that as flexible or as reckless depending on your perspective. I would tend to go towards the later. They took a big gamble and thankfully it paid off.

There should be a huge uptick in availability of vaccines here when the EMA signs off on AstraZeneca’s product’s safety and effectiveness and that looks likely to be very soon. They’re tentatively planing for Friday, 29 January, 13 days from now.

BioNTech purchased an advanced biotech plant from Novartis in Marburg in Germany and are rapidly adapting it to produce their vaccine with Pfizer. That comes on stream very, very shortly so you’ll see a major uptick in supply.

Marburg has a cluster of pharma and biopharma plants and research facilities btw and that’s not far from their HQ.

Both of those and the Moderna product mean well see a big acceleration in rollout.

The state also brought in IBM and Salesforce to tool up a major IT system, which seems to be pretty comprehensive. They’re both very competent vendors.

I’m fairly optimistic that we will get this done fast, but it’s ridiculous to think it will be done instantly. It’s an enormous task both locally and more so in terms of what’s being achieved by the researchers, scientists, doctors, engineers and production teams getting these out there across a whole load of companies and research institutes. It’s faster and on a bigger scale than any vaccine rollout ever achieved before.

Fast probably means in 2021 though. There’s no point in coming go with unrealistic time frames either. It’ll get easier as the year goes on.

The main thing we need to do now is get the damn numbers back to sanity again in both Ireland and the U.K. - Xmas was a total disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

So, it doesn't say that the deaths were surely related with the vaccine, those people might have died from something else, since they died a few days after, not after a few minutes/hours after the vaccine.

We have gone full circle now. A Covid death is recorded even if the patient dies of a different underlying illness within several weeks of being infected. As in 'with' Covid.

If a terminally Ill person dies from a fever after getting the Covid vaccine it should be regarded as a vaccine death.
    20 is a huge number in such a small country.

And your point is what exactly? :confused:

Dr Colm Henry said the 14-day-incidence rate, at 1,449, is 20 times what it was in early December, adding that Ireland is the second worst in Europe.

Just as well the peat-fired power stations are shut down - be able to convert them into nice mass crematoriums if their masterplan doesn't work out

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

snowcat wrote: »
    We have gone full circle now. A Covid death is recorded even if the patient dies of a different underlying illness within several weeks of being infected. As in 'with' Covid.

If a terminally Ill person dies from a fever after getting the Covid vaccine it should be regarded as a vaccine death.
    20 is a huge number in such a small country.

They’re in the early stages of investigating it and also there’ll be data from lots of other countries too.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149

So far they aren’t saying much more than they’re being cautious.

It’ll be jumped on by anti vaxxers regardless of what the research says. That’s the unfortunate bit.

Datacore wrote: »

It’ll be jumped on by anti vaxxers regardless of what the research says. That’s the unfortunate bit.

Research ? As usual they'll just ignore the whole 'how many would die without it'

Some of them should show up in the details:

https://bmj.altmetric.com/details/97778017/twitter/page:1

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Couldn't put it better.

To be honest, Donnelly's decision to leave the Soc Dems for Fianna Fail has been vindicated. It's far better to be in the tent, making decisions and trying to make a difference (especially at a time of national importance) rather than hurling from the ditch and spending 30 years moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Dr Colm Henry said the 14-day-incidence rate, at 1,449, is 20 times what it was in early December, adding that Ireland is the second worst in Europe.

Just as well the peat-fired power stations are shut down - be able to convert them into nice mass crematoriums if their masterplan doesn't work out

LOL. Imagine thinking like this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

That is a very pessimistic tweet.

The vast majority of experts expect normality to start resuming by April/May type time. (Unless a variant starts evading the vaccine).

I would expect countries to start accepting EITHER a PCR test or evidence of a vaccine to gain entry into a country soon.

I have booked my holiday in Greece this summer and I have every confidence that I will be allowed travel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭jackboy

JTMan wrote: »
    That is a very pessimistic tweet.

The vast majority of experts expect normality to start resuming by April/May type time. (Unless a variant starts evading the vaccine).

I would expect countries to start accepting EITHER a PCR test or evidence of a vaccine to gain entry into a country soon.

I have booked my holiday in Greece this summer and I have every confidence that I will be allowed travel!!
    No, most experts are saying 6 to 9 months before the vaccines will have an impact on restrictions.

You have a good chance of being allowed to travel but it’s hard now to predict what level of restrictions you will have to deal with on your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Earth2021 wrote: »
    Research isn't good reading either

Norway had 517 Covid related deaths total

22 now supposedly killed from vaccine

Go way will you! They were terminally ill frail patients in nursing homes! The common side affects didn’t help but you can’t say the vaccine killed them.. that’s gutter talk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Welcome to boards.ie, totally new user..

Gonna stay away from here again for the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement