Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Are we expecting any updated vaccine total, or do we still need to wait until Thursday?

They have likely passed 100k by now and I'm surprised they haven't made anything of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Nenagh Hospital doctors and staff have not been given any vaccines, despite UHL getting a large batch. Nenagh also has been treating covid patients since March. This is very unfair and Alan Kelly is not happy about it

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1783812948443209&id=444740862350431&sfnsn=mo

That’s nothing to do the government though. The Limerick hospital group is making a balls of the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's an online vaccine calculator. I entered my details and I can get my vaccine between September 2021 and May 2022.

You know when you're downloading a large file and just after it has started the thing says 1 hour left to download, even though you know it will only take 5 minutes.

That's the vaccine calculator!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

New advice given for vaccination in Ireland.

"Health staff who are administering the Covid-19 vaccine in long-term care settings across the country have been told it is not appropriate to give it to residents whose duration of life may be shorter than the length of time it will take for the jab to work."

Colm Henry

“Given that the benefit from vaccination begins only about 10–14 days following the first dose and full protection is not achieved until 7-14 days following the second dose of vaccine currently in use, it is not appropriate to vaccinate people if their expected duration of life is less than that for the vaccine to take effect and if, in that context, their overall care is focused on comfort and dignity.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Sky King wrote: »
    You know when you're downloading a large file and just after it has started the thing says 1 hour left to download, even though you know it will only take 5 minutes.

That's the vaccine calculator!

Honestly that vaccine "calculator" could've been put together by any semi-decent 1st year computer science student. It's a couple of inputs, a couple of calculations and an output.

I've seen some on twitter acting as if it's some revolutionary super-algorithm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

While Ireland plods along with the Vaccine rollout:

Thursday saw 56,716 Israelis receive their first inoculation, totaling 1,992,806, with another 64,366 getting their second shot, reaching 169,707 — by far the highest vaccination rate in the world, according to the Our World In Data website.

The findings correlate with Health Ministry figures released Thursday that indicated that out of almost 2 million people vaccinated, only 1,127 people filed reports of suffering side effects, with most of those being minor.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

In fairness we're in and around the top 10 in the world! The only places that are significantly ahead of us in terms of vaccinations per person are Israel and UAE!

El Sueño wrote: »
    In fairness we're in and around the top 10 in the world! The only places that are significantly ahead of us in terms of vaccinations per person are Israel and UAE!

I had a look at the numbers, Ireland Vs. Israel... doesn't look good for Ireland...

MB4BlkK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I had a look at the numbers, Ireland Vs. Israel... doesn't look good for Ireland...

MB4BlkK.png

Ok, so how about Ireland vs any other country or a range of other countries?

MB4BlkK.png

Hence why I said israel are one of the only countries significantly ahead of us...

• Advertisement

Ok, so how about Ireland vs any other country or a range of other countries?

Have a look: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Well, here it starts,

Join a private club in London and get a free shot of vaccine. Only a £25k members fee + travel costs to UAE or India of around £40k :rolleyes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michelerobson/2021/01/17/vaccine-vaccationsgetting-a-private-covid-shot-abroad/

Rich people are the worst...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

We're 12th in the world at the moment, and in reality we're probably even higher because our data is at least 2 days behind the nations above us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

afatbollix wrote: »
    Well, here it starts,

Join a private club in London and get a free shot of vaccine. Only a £25k members fee + travel costs to UAE or India of around £40k :rolleyes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michelerobson/2021/01/17/vaccine-vaccationsgetting-a-private-covid-shot-abroad/

Rich people are the worst...

Surely they are much cheaper ways of going about it if you want to fly somewhere east for a vaccine :confused:

Asking for a friend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

What is it with the Israel comparisons ? Enough already.

We’re part of the EU bloc and part of their purchasing agreement aka “our” purchasing agreement. Without it we’d be a little fish in a big ocean of predators.
    Does anyone seriously think we’d have any influence or ability to get vaccines ahead of the EU if we went on a solo run ? Wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

El Sueño wrote: »
    Hence why I said israel are one of the only countries significantly ahead of us...

Ah this is typical, people will disingenuously use Northern Ireland to make Irish figures look good, and constantly talk about NI's terrible handling of Covid.
    Northern Ireland has a vaccination rate 4 times of the Republic.

Russman wrote: »

We’re part of the EU bloc and part of their purchasing agreement aka “our” purchasing agreement. Without it we’d be a little fish in a big ocean of predators.
    Does anyone seriously think we’d have any influence or ability to get vaccines ahead of the EU if we went on a solo run ? Wtf.

There's nothing to stop the Government contacting the CEO's of the relevant Pharma companies to purchase more vaccines is there?

Do people get off on deliberate misrepresentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Do people get off on deliberate misrepresentation?

I was gonna respond myself, but it figured it was pointless due to how ill informed it was.

There's nothing to stop the Government contacting the CEO's of the relevant Pharma companies to purchase more vaccines is there?

You'l get a reply that they can't because of the EU purchasing agreement, these people will omit that Germany has already done this and since I am bringing it up, they will say these vaccines will be delivered after the EU consignment, what the posters won't say is that broke the rules anyway and isn't being sanctioned so you might be able to order and get delivery particular if Oxford was given emergency use authorization as that wouldn't be eating EU stocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

In fairness, I think the wealthy EU countries like Germany, France, Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Denmark and Ireland would've been vaccinating with AstraZeneca weeks ago if it wasn't for the joint procurement programme and the EMA. Would've been paying more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Apart from that going against our EU contract, do you really think the CEO of one of the pharma companies would be interested in the piddly amount of vaccines we’d be looking to order, ahead of what the likes of Germany or Italy would be looking to get ?
    It would only start a bidding war and we’d see the same thing we saw with PPE last year, every dog for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

You'l get a reply that they can't because of the EU purchasing agreement, these people will omit that Germany has already done this and since I am bringing it up, they will say these vaccines will be delivered after the EU consignment, what the posters won't say is that broke the rules anyway and isn't being sanctioned so you might be able to order and get delivery particular if Oxford was given emergency use authorization as that wouldn't be eating EU stocks.

Germany is getting theirs after the EU allocation is up

lbj666 wrote: »
    Apparently that's irrelevant. The fact Germany are getting further stock in September is proof we can order millions of doses for immediate delivery.

lbj666 wrote: »

I knew that would be the response
    they will say these vaccines will be delivered after the EU consignment, what the posters won't say is that broke the rules anyway and isn't being sanctioned so you might be able to order and get delivery particular if Oxford was given emergency use authorization as that wouldn't be eating EU stocks.

There doesn't appear to be political will to sanction breaking this agreement and if the effort was concentrated on the Oxford vaccine now it would cause little harm to the EU effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We're likely to have a surplus of vaccines in September regardless of whether we put in another order or not.

Apart from that going against our EU contract, do you really think the CEO of one of the pharma companies would be interested in the piddly amount of vaccines we’d be looking to order, ahead of what the likes of Germany or Italy would be looking to get ?
    It would only start a bidding war and we’d see the same thing we saw with PPE last year, every dog for himself.

Yes, Pfizer have a large footprint in Ireland so would take the call... People are dying, we need to increase the vaccination rollout.

Benjamin Netanyahu phoned Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla:
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/unveiling-deal-netanyahu-promises-enough-vaccines-to-beat-covid-by-end-of-march/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Since when are we taking notes from the Israelis?

Apparently that's irrelevant. The fact Germany are getting further stock in September is proof we can order millions of doses for immediate delivery.

Did Germany break the agreement? I am looking for an official statement from an EU official stating that they didn't, has Germany been sanctioned for this?
    Answer is no to both those questions

• Advertisement

I knew that would be the response

There doesn't appear to be political will to sanction breaking this agreement and if the effort was concentrated on the Oxford vaccine now it would cause little harm to the EU effort.

Can you point out the rule they're breaking? I don't mean this in a rhetorical sense but I'd be interested in seeing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement